• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should Nippon Ichi Software Partner With OR Be Acquired By NINTENDO?

Well...what do you think?

• Partnership

Votes: 19 37.3%
  • Acquisition

Votes: 8 15.7%
  • Who the hell are NIS?

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Votes: 14 27.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
disgaea3absenceofdetention-720x480.jpg

So apparently, NISJ is having financial problems of late. If you're unaware, Nippon Ichi Software Japan is the developer of the Disgaea and Marl Kingdom series. The American branch, NISA, has localized and published games from various devs like SEGA, Arc System Works, Acquire, Spike Chunsoft, Nihon Falcom and others.

While NIS has a very long history with Sony systems (mainly their portables), their history with Nintendo is almost as lengthy and, more importantly, Nintendo platforms have been their priority for the past several years now. What I mean by that is, while their games have still been getting PlayStation 4 & 5 versions, the Switch versions have been the big sellers in Japan, NIS's primary market.

Unfortunately, it seems like they have been falling on hard times of late, but in spite of that, they have a dedicated fanbase and they seem to be a quite talented development house. Their style could complement quite a few Nintendo IPs; for example they could do well with a Metroid or F-Zero-based JRPG game. Or even beyond that, something like a Mario SRPG, playing off the partnership Nintendo & Squaresoft had way back when they made Super Mario RPG for the SFC/SNES.

Prinnyart.png

I think either an acquisition or multi-game development partnership between Nintendo & NIS (and knowing Nintendo, likely the latter would be more realistic) is a great scenario for both parties. Nintendo recently hired a former SIE employee for 2P/3P relations & partnerships; this particular person was mainly in charge for such with Sony's handheld device line, and knowing that NIS have been heavily focused on handhelds (specifically the Switch, a hybrid) the past several years could be a connective element here. Nintendo could get some neat spinoffs of established IP in genres they don't normally pursue in-house, and NIS can get a much-needed boost in public profile and funding. It'd also mean more new content for Switch 2, a system that will benefit from as many exclusives as it can get.

Barring anything with Nintendo, I guess NIS's next-best option would be merging with another dev/pub in a somewhat similar market space, or establishing a developer partnership network with other relatively sized & smaller developer studios. Aside from Nintendo I'm not sure if NIS benefits from being absorbed into any other significantly larger publishing arm, be they a platform holder or not, and even in the Nintendo case I think the aforementioned multi-game partnership (leveraging Nintendo IPs and NIS's development talents) would be a better option.

Would imagine there aren't a ton of NIS fans here; I wouldn't even say I'm a "fan" per se of their work but I have played some of their games and respect the talent in stuff like Disgaea (including how hardcore difficult those games can get). More importantly I can see their potential in working with a company like Nintendo, and the benefits both could bring to each other in a partnership. And well, it's never great to hear of a dev in a rarely-served niche struggling from a business perspective. Curious what others would think of this...

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
disgaea3absenceofdetention-720x480.jpg

So apparently, NISJ is having financial problems of late. If you're unaware, Nippon Ichi Software Japan is the developer of the Disgaea and Marl Kingdom series. The American branch, NISA, has localized and published games from various devs like SEGA, Arc System Works, Acquire, Spike Chunsoft, Nihon Falcom and others.

While NIS has a very long history with Sony systems (mainly their portables), their history with Nintendo is almost as lengthy and, more importantly, Nintendo platforms have been their priority for the past several years now. What I mean by that is, while their games have still been getting PlayStation 4 & 5 versions, the Switch versions have been the big sellers in Japan, NIS's primary market.

Unfortunately, it seems like they have been falling on hard times of late, but in spite of that, they have a dedicated fanbase and they seem to be a quite talented development house. Their style could complement quite a few Nintendo IPs; for example they could do well with a Metroid or F-Zero-based JRPG game. Or even beyond that, something like a Mario SRPG, playing off the partnership Nintendo & Squaresoft had way back when they made Super Mario RPG for the SFC/SNES.

Prinnyart.png

I think either an acquisition or multi-game development partnership between Nintendo & NIS (and knowing Nintendo, likely the latter would be more realistic) is a great scenario for both parties. Nintendo recently hired a former SIE employee for 2P/3P relations & partnerships; this particular person was mainly in charge for such with Sony's handheld device line, and knowing that NIS have been heavily focused on handhelds (specifically the Switch, a hybrid) the past several years could be a connective element here. Nintendo could get some neat spinoffs of established IP in genres they don't normally pursue in-house, and NIS can get a much-needed boost in public profile and funding. It'd also mean more new content for Switch 2, a system that will benefit from as many exclusives as it can get.

Barring anything with Nintendo, I guess NIS's next-best option would be merging with another dev/pub in a somewhat similar market space, or establishing a developer partnership network with other relatively sized & smaller developer studios. Aside from Nintendo I'm not sure if NIS benefits from being absorbed into any other significantly larger publishing arm, be they a platform holder or not, and even in the Nintendo case I think the aforementioned multi-game partnership (leveraging Nintendo IPs and NIS's development talents) would be a better option.

Would imagine there aren't a ton of NIS fans here; I wouldn't even say I'm a "fan" per se of their work but I have played some of their games and respect the talent in stuff like Disgaea (including how hardcore difficult those games can get). More importantly I can see their potential in working with a company like Nintendo, and the benefits both could bring to each other in a partnership. And well, it's never great to hear of a dev in a rarely-served niche struggling from a business perspective. Curious what others would think of this...
No no and no!!!
It's fine being a 3rd party... Or having exclusives on Playstation.

Nah, keep in mind that they are a publisher, rather than a simple developer. Also, they don't really fit with most of Nintendo's first-party output.

I mean IMO regardless if an M&A or partnership their status as a dev or pub shouldn't matter. It's really more about the logistics and if it were a mutual benefit to both parties involved.

Though thinking about it, I would think a partnership could be the better option. As for their stuff not fitting Nintendo's 1P output, well I think the same could be said for say Ubisoft yet we saw Nintendo partner with them on the Raving Rabbits games.

I think if NIS could offer something to a Nintendo IP or two, Nintendo wouldn't mind collaborating with them on it, i.e lend them the license to make something with it in genres NIS are skilled at.

No no and no!!!
It's fine being a 3rd party... Or having exclusives on Playstation.

I mean, they don't really have any PS exclusives ATM that I can see and the multiplat support on PS with their own IP isn't getting them much traction in sales in Japan.

NIS seem to have a very unique game design approach but they don't have big enough IP to make it financially lucrative, at least the way things are now. Nintendo platforms have been a big part of their focus the past few years and Nintendo definitely has IP that NIS could leverage for big growth while still remaining a 3P.

Some other companies might have usable IP in that case as well, but maybe not to the degree that Nintendo would. Or, they do but they have in-house studios in many of the genre spaces NIS is in so a collab or partnership would be redundant.

Nintendo might do some marketing or exclusivity deals, but I see no reason Nintendo would want to acquire NIS. Their IPs aren't that popular.

Well I don't necessarily know what NIS games would benefit Nintendo in a marketing or exclusivity deal either outside of maybe something like Disgaea.

I know the title mentions acquisition, but hopefully the OP placed more emphasis on a strategic partnership. NIS leveraging a few Nintendo IP to make a few exclusives for the Switch. NIS gets something out of that, Nintendo gets something out that. They work together but otherwise remain independent.

Personally think that would be a lot more fruitful than an acquisition.

Woopah

I mean IMO regardless if an M&A or partnership their status as a dev or pub shouldn't matter. It's really more about the logistics and if it were a mutual benefit to both parties involved.

Though thinking about it, I would think a partnership could be the better option. As for their stuff not fitting Nintendo's 1P output, well I think the same could be said for say Ubisoft yet we saw Nintendo partner with them on the Raving Rabbits games.

I think if NIS could offer something to a Nintendo IP or two, Nintendo wouldn't mind collaborating with them on it, i.e lend them the license to make something with it in genres NIS are skilled at.

I mean, they don't really have any PS exclusives ATM that I can see and the multiplat support on PS with their own IP isn't getting them much traction in sales in Japan.

NIS seem to have a very unique game design approach but they don't have big enough IP to make it financially lucrative, at least the way things are now. Nintendo platforms have been a big part of their focus the past few years and Nintendo definitely has IP that NIS could leverage for big growth while still remaining a 3P.

Some other companies might have usable IP in that case as well, but maybe not to the degree that Nintendo would. Or, they do but they have in-house studios in many of the genre spaces NIS is in so a collab or partnership would be redundant.

Well I don't necessarily know what NIS games would benefit Nintendo in a marketing or exclusivity deal either outside of maybe something like Disgaea.

I know the title mentions acquisition, but hopefully the OP placed more emphasis on a strategic partnership. NIS leveraging a few Nintendo IP to make a few exclusives for the Switch. NIS gets something out of that, Nintendo gets something out that. They work together but otherwise remain independent.

Personally think that would be a lot more fruitful than an acquisition.
Disgaea 6 had a deal with Nintendo for the West I believe.

And yes Nintendo has been growing it's number of development partners, so NIS could pitch to be one of them.

nial

Gold Member
As for their stuff not fitting Nintendo's 1P output, well I think the same could be said for say Ubisoft yet we saw Nintendo partner with them on the Raving Rabbits games.
Eh, I think Rabbids fits pretty well with Nintendo's family-friendly output.
I get what you mean, though, the thing is that even if they do make games for everyone (like Hakoniwa Kanpani Wakusu), NIS' stuff mostly appeal to the niche otaku crowd, which makes an acquisition by Nintendo seem very, very unlikely.

Last edited:

FStubbs

I think that the best case scenario would be the studio ending up being bought by Koei Tecmo like Gust was.

Nothing would change for NIS fans.
Dubs would disappear like they did from the Atelier series.

Nintendo should buy something bigger, but if it comes to saving a unique dev like NIS or Level 5, then they should do so.
Nintendo might be interested in Level 5 but honestly I don't think they'd have much interest in NIS.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I think they should remain independent.
I don't think too many acquisitions would be a good thing for the industry, plus it's nice to have their stuff on multiple platforms.

nial

Gold Member
NIS has always been much more close with SIE in general, so a partnership (not acquisition) between them would be a bit more fitting. I do wonder if SIE would be interested in the first place, I still think in this part of this The Verge article.
Sony made the controversial decision in 2021 to shutter the studio and pivot it around Astro Bot developer Team Asobi; any products from that plan are yet to be announced. However, several developers at BitSummit told me under the condition of anonymity that Sony was more actively seeking to strike deals for Japanese indie games than ever before. There was a widespread sense that Sony is attempting to fill a gap in its publishing lineup.
NIS isn't anywhere close in being an indie developer, but there's a sense of similarity between their output and those of Japanese indie devs.
And SIE isn't really afraid in collaborating with other publishers, as seen with Rise of the Ronin.

Sojiro

I do enjoy NIS' output, and definitely favor Nintendo of the big three ATM, but I still am not for acquisitions and have never been. I guess if it comes to being bought out or closing their doors for good, I would prefer buy out of course. Nintendo isnt really known for buying up studios that aren't practically working exclusively for them so a partnership would be a more realistic outcome.

Tams

Well, are you going to tell us why they are in financial trouble?

Appealing to emotion doesn't keep a business afloat.

Porcile

Ridiculously niche developer/publisher even in Japan. If they go out of business then maybe someone like Sega would pick up a few of the pieces, but very doubtful a huge publisher like Nintendo, Sony or Microsoft would finance any new games in the series they make.

StereoVsn

I don’t see Nintendo acquiring NIS, not quite a great fit and there is the whole publishing/localization business.

It kind of sucks that because NIS makes a lot of quirky games some folks like (not a huge fan of most of their fare myself), and NISA does a lot of work on 3rd party localizations like Falcom games.

No to all.

Why?

Poll seems biased lol as there's no option.

Anyway, they should remain 3rd party and I'm saying this as someone who has bought more than half of their published titles on the Switch.

Well the only other option aside those choices is not wanting them to work with Nintendo at all. So would you prefer they partnered up with someone else, or just kept doing as they currently are?

Because apparently the reason they're running into financial difficulty is because of what they're currently doing.

Well, are you going to tell us why they are in financial trouble?

Appealing to emotion doesn't keep a business afloat.

I don't know why myself; someone who keeps up with their stuff on Twitter mentioned it in a chain of tweets linked in the OP.

Gist of it is, their software is selling abysmally in Japan.

Hell no, that's the worst platform for their games.

I don't see why?

They localize a lot of games. I hope that they get around these issues.

TBF, NISA (the localizing branch) are just fine. It's NISJ (the Japanese side, who are also a developer) who are having the financial problems with games not selling too well.

thicc_girls_are_teh_best thicc_girls_are_teh_best I don't see any reason why NIS (the developer) could not partner/be bought by one of the other bigger 3rd party players from Japan instead of a platform holder like Nintendo. I think someone in this thread mentioned something similar happened with Gust (Atelier series, Blue Reflection) being acquired by Koei Tecomo many years ago.

Will maintain my opinion that you should add a 'no' option. Also I refuse to vote if you don't want to add one. :p

Edit: Thanks 🙏

Last edited:
Nintendo would remove all the panties jokes.

Dunno; they've let some risque stuff on the eShop and had no censorship in some fanservice Japanese games for a while when Sony & Microsoft were censoring them quite a bit (though it seems Sony have stopped doing that. Not sure about Microsoft).

Disgaea 6 had a deal with Nintendo for the West I believe.

And yes Nintendo has been growing it's number of development partners, so NIS could pitch to be one of them.

Well, it seems the way that could work is "development partners" in the form of specific partnerships, co-development deals etc. Which is where NISJ and Nintendo could do something fruitful for both ends.

I agree with others saying acquisition would be a less desirable outcome (unless it was the only option left), but a partnership could be great. Maybe some just have a problem with that because it'd inherently mean NISJ making exclusives for Switch 2. I've no issue with that, personally, but some of the discourse around exclusivity these days has gotten "weird".

Lame ass poll when “no” isn’t an option. Forcing someone to pick yes, somehow or someway is weak… and making people who disagree to feel like they don’t know who NIS is, makes this thread super weak 🤦‍♂️

Good Lord, I didn't think it would upset people THAT much!

Fine, fine, I added the option to the poll 😂

Eh, I think Rabbids fits pretty well with Nintendo's family-friendly output.
I get what you mean, though, the thing is that even if they do make games for everyone (like Hakoniwa Kanpani Wakusu), NIS' stuff mostly appeal to the niche otaku crowd, which makes an acquisition by Nintendo seem very, very unlikely.

Agreed. If anything does happen with them, it'd probably be more along the lines of a partnership. Co-development on a title or two, NISJ getting license rights to a couple of Nintendo IP with Nintendo co-funding those games.

Likely that type of thing. Just comes down to what a company like NISJ could bring to the table.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Dunno; they've let some risque stuff on the eShop and had no censorship in some fanservice Japanese games for a while when Sony & Microsoft were censoring them quite a bit (though it seems Sony have stopped doing that. Not sure about Microsoft).

Well, it seems the way that could work is "development partners" in the form of specific partnerships, co-development deals etc. Which is where NISJ and Nintendo could do something fruitful for both ends.

I agree with others saying acquisition would be a less desirable outcome (unless it was the only option left), but a partnership could be great. Maybe some just have a problem with that because it'd inherently mean NISJ making exclusives for Switch 2. I've no issue with that, personally, but some of the discourse around exclusivity these days has gotten "weird".

Good Lord, I didn't think it would upset people THAT much!

Fine, fine, I added the option to the poll 😂

Agreed. If anything does happen with them, it'd probably be more along the lines of a partnership. Co-development on a title or two, NISJ getting license rights to a couple of Nintendo IP with Nintendo co-funding those games.

Likely that type of thing. Just comes down to what a company like NISJ could bring to the table.
Well, I mean, I’d like to vote in the poll that’s why I’m in the thread…but can’t because the options are swayed and the only “no” type option seems pretty insulting for people who don’t agree. If you are going to make a poll in your thread you should have options that make sense. But hey, you do you. But I still love you because thick girls are indeed the best.

Thanks thicc_girls_are_teh_best thicc_girls_are_teh_best I voted for NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Even though it felt a small bit sarcastic, it made me lol anyway

Thanks for the update 😉

Last edited:

Yonyx

Well, I mean, I’d like to vote in the poll that’s why I’m in the thread…but can’t because the options are swayed and the only “no” type option seems pretty insulting for people who don’t agree. If you are going to make a poll in your thread you should have options that make sense. But hey, you do you. But I still love you because thick girls are indeed the best.
I didn't vote for that exact reason.

Last edited:

Pejo

After all the recent shitshows, it's amazing to me that people STILL want industry and developer consolidation/acquisitions. Fucking enough already.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I wouldn’t be opposed to a partnership. Make a new prinny platformer. My faith in NIS is dwindling. The last 2 disgaea games both stink.

night13x

I mean....sure if they need to be bought out by Sony or Nintendo. But in the process they will probably lose some important license keeping them afloat. Example - if they went nintendo exclusive, Falcom would most likely drop them like a hot potato since that doesnt work out with falcom themselves.

StereoVsn

After all the recent shitshows, it's amazing to me that people STILL want industry and developer consolidation/acquisitions. Fucking enough already.
The issue here is there is a good chance they can go under unless something changes drastically. Personally while I hate the consolidation trends I would rather someone (not MS) would acquire them vs dissolution.

Top Bottom