• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sly Cooper Movie Transforms Into Sly Cooper TV Series Instead?

The Sly movie had been long rumored dead after the failure of the Ratchet and Clank movie, but it would appear that Sony either is switching gears and heading towards TV animation -- or there will be a TV series to supplement the movie. I think the former is much more likely.

http://www.animationmagazine.net/tv/technicolor-sony-team-on-cg-sly-cooper-series/

Sly-Cooper-post2-620x496.jpg

Paris-based Technicolor Animation Productions and Sony Interactive Entertainment will produce a CG-animated television series based on best-selling PlayStation videogame series, Sly Cooper.

Global distribution – along with licensing and merchandising rights – will be managed by PGS, the privately-owned investment family group with headquarters in Hong Kong, dedicated to brand management of intellectual property in the kids' entertainment space.

Introduced to the market in 2002, the Sly Cooper franchise has been a worldwide success, selling millions of copies globally and spanning four different editions across multiple PlayStation platforms.

Sly Cooper follows the adventures of an irresistibly charismatic raccoon, a modern-day Robin Hood, who restores justice to his city one theft at a time. Sly is aided by his two best friends, a muscular hippo named Murray and a brainy turtle named Bentley. Hot on Sly's trail is Inspector Carmelita Fox, a morally upright cop with an unfortunate crush on the charming bandit, as well as a band of villains, each one more strange and colorful than the last.

Zalman

I'm a huge Sly fan and I wasn't impressed by the original trailer. However if this increases the chances of a new game, then it's a good thing!

Tapejara

I totally forgot the movie was a thing. I'd watch a Sly TV show though, but I really hope they ditch that art style.

lumi7890

I'm a huge Sly fan and I wasn't impressed by the original trailer. However if this increases the chances of a new game, then it's a good thing!
This is literally all I care about.... I want a new sly game god dammit! And if it takes a cgi tv show to get one then so be it.

Musolf815

I'm desperate for any Sly news this week lol. If they do this they better do a new game. I think the series is a better fit for TV though given its inspirations.

mindsale

I dig that look.

And adventures / capers / heists for kids serially as a show is better than one Ratchet & Clank movie, just ask the blue skeleton they're pretending is Mega Man.

Tagg9

Honestly a television series would probably be a better medium than a movie because they will be able to show all of the planning, building up to a heist. I dig it. (As long as the animation isn't complete shit)

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I always thought Sly would work better as a TV show than a movie anyway - they can go on a new mission every episode but still have a bit of an over arching story to tie everything together.

From an artistic perspective, I'm not sure it's the best idea to go with CGI, but I guess it's their best bet if they want to appeal to kids these days. (though personally I would love to see the show done in the style of A Cat in Paris)

At any rate, I'm just glad Sly is still alive in some form or other.

SSReborn

Honestly a TV series would work better for Sly Cooper than a movie would anyways.

The heists they perform and crooks they go after in the games would lend well to that episodic format.

Hopefully by Sanzaru so they can continue their story.

I could see it being a reboot a la Ratchet.

Hope I'm wrong on that. Sanzaru should be given another chance, hopefully on a more-successful-than-PS3-and-Vita console it can do a bit better.

Undrey

I am seriously disappointed that this is just some article by some random site, not a PSBlog post or an E3 announcement.

Nevertheless, I hope this bodes well for the future of the franchise, we have to get one (or two) more Sly game(s).

RRockman

Banned
Honestly a TV series would work better for Sly Cooper than a movie would anyways.

The heists they perform and crooks they go after in the games would lend well to that episodic format.

The freaking pause menu of the 3rd game had "we'll be right back after these messages" on display as you went through the settings. A Saturday morning cartoon is LONG over due, but Would have preferred it to be done with sly's younger design vs his older design. Feels like mixed messaging If you ask me.

SNURB

It doesn't surprise me that the movie didn't get the greenlight. The Ratchet movie did terrible that they'd be stupid enough to pull a stunt like that again.

Although I have no idea why for this they're going for full CGI. Sly works better as a 2D animated series if anything. I guess to streamline production costs.

brian577

Banned
I always thought Sly would work better as a TV show than a movie anyway - they can go on a new mission every episode but still have a bit of an over arching story to tie everything together.

That was my thought as well. The games do have more of an episodic feel anyways.

Top Bottom