• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So uhhh there's been no good Spiderman film since 2004 huh?

GeekyDad

Lol god you people on this forum are obsessed with “bait”

Any non conforming take everytime it’s “…bait…?”
throwing-a-bait-viralhog.gif

Raonak

Banned
I love the entire rami trilogy. And spiderverse is great.
And the recent one with all 3 spiderman was great too.

Just make a spiderman 4. just do it.

mcjmetroid

Yep you're right.

The problem is the MCU movies are cartoons whereas the sam raimi movies and a lot of the 2000s comic book movies were designed to feel like the real world - that so happened to have a superhero, you knew what the limits of the character were and could get invested in the stakes of the story and anyone young or old could enjoy them.

Last edited:

Lunarorbit

Spiderverse? I haven't seen the second one yet but that's one of the best superhero movies ever in my mind. The art, movement, comedy, music are all top notch. Plus tubby depressed Jake johnson Spiderman is awesome.

Wasn't too hot about the garfield ones but not because of him. And the last one with him and Toby. We got Willem in it too. How can you not like that movie? Even Jamie toned down the electro craziness

Fbh

The animated Miles movies have been solid. In fact they've lowered my enjoyment of the Insomniac games because the Insomniac take on Miles is so much worse and has the most annoying voice ever.

But from live action, yeah I agree.
Amazing Spider Man 1 wasn't that bad though, but they completely killed that version with the terrible sequel.
All 3 MCU movies have been terrible, the first one was bad enough and somehow they got exponentially worse with each sequel

Unknown?

I liked No Way Home but in general, yeah, the Raimi movies were better. Although that could be nostalgia talking.

Raimi definitely had better casting. Flash is terrible in the new movies. So is MJ.

Anytime I see someone say that something is for "normies", especially when it's about comic book movies, I immediately stop taking that person seriously. They're multimillion investments made to make the most profit possible, why is the whole OP reading like it's written by someone who sits by a fireplace in the evening with a glass of Romanée-Conti while reading Kafka?

Anytime I see someone say that something is for "normies", especially when it's about comic book movies, I immediately stop taking that person seriously. They're multimillion investments made to make the most profit possible, why is the whole OP reading like it's written by someone who sits by a fireplace in the evening with a glass of Romanée-Conti while reading Kafka?
Yeah there’s never been any comic book movies that were a directors passion or balanced commerce with creativity

Synless

My kids watched every Spider-Man movie and agree with you and I, Raimi’s trilogy is the best, bar none (Miles Morales being the possible exception).

Nvzman

I've grown up with Spider-Man as my favorite superhero (and he still is) and if anything he's one of the few superhero properties I give any shit about. Couldn't care less about Iron Man, indifferent on Batman, I like Captain America, Superman, and Hulk, etc.

The Raimi trilogy is by far the best of the three iterations of live-action Spider-Man. I don't even think it's close. The cinematography, the soundtrack, the action scenes, most of the casting, and even the effects are absolutely perfect (or at least as perfect as they could be for the time they released, its not half-assed like MCU effects). I regularly rewatch 2 and I love it just as much as I did (hell probably even more as I got older) when I walked out of the theater in 2004. Its easily top 3 best super-hero movies, I don't think anything else really has the same sense of inspiration or heart to it in the genre. Its an excellent film all around. I think my only real overall criticism of the Raimi movies is that Mary Jane is not written very well, but she's still nowhere near as insufferable as MCU MJ (at least until Spider-Man 3). A lot of people dismiss Tobey as being mopey/meek, but they don't realize that the original Stan Lee/Ditko iteration of Spider-Man from the 60s-early 70s (which I'm sure is what Raimi grew up reading) is almost exactly like this. Peter in the early issues was not a jokey, snarky jester like he is in later portrayals, he's a lot more serious and calculating, which Tobey's Spider-Man represents very well. As a matter of fact, I'd say the Raimi trilogy easily is the most understanding of the source material, or at least Stan Lee's Spider-Man. It really understands comic book camp and sillyness to a T without being overly meta or anything obnoxious. It just plays it up in all its glory and I absolutely love that, it makes the movies feel very genuine, even with 3 being much weaker than the first two.

The Webb movies are weird because I really appreciate Andrew Garfield's passion and I definitely feel like he got screwed over (he's easily the best actor of the three) with the writing. The first Amazing Spider-Man is a genuinely good movie, like a 7/10. Its not amazing but the effects look and have aged great and I appreciate them still pushing for a lot of practical work. The writing is fine and Gwen is easily the best love interest out of the three movie series because she's actually supportive and not whiny/snarky to Peter constantly. Gwen is easily the best part of TASM1 and TASM2. I do think TASM2 is mildly overhated, its not awful per say, but its a huge mix of great stuff with absolutely awful stuff. The effects are insanely impressive and the action scenes are unique and interesting, but the writing is absolutely terrible for the most part and is clearly juggling between Webb's vision and the studio's vision. imo its like a 5/10. Andrew's Spider-Man is very clearly inspired by early Ultimate Spider-Man, which is fine, Peter is a bit more awkward and prick-ish in them which fits what they were trying to go for.

Now the MCU stuff, is super polarizing. I loved Tom's entrance in Civil War, but I absolutely despise how they treat him after. Imo Homecoming is easily by far the most overrated MCU movie by a country mile. I actively dislike it more and more each time I rewatch it. I think it is insanely unfunny, poorly shot, has pretty terrible effects work in it, I don't like Peter's friends at all (Ned is annoying as fuck in all three movies and his school friends are equally pointless and unfunny), and MJ being a snarky ass makes her completely unlikable. This isn't even really including how I think it completely misunderstands Spider-Man as a character; he was always an independent loner-type character until Civil War and this released. Instead in this movie (and Civil War to some extent) he's bumming to be a sidekick to a rich guy, which is kind of just the complete antithesis to the humble, street-level, loner type Spider-Man has always been historically written. I fucking HATE the conversation halfway through the movie where Peter openly admits he's nothing without the suit, its so incredibly un-Spider-Man, even if its technically supposed to be a different type of "origin story" for MCU Peter. The only thing I like about Homecoming is Vulture. Michael Keaton is great, that's literally it. Far From Home is fine if forgettable, its definitely better than Homecoming for at least having better action scenes and less Ned/MJ bullshit in it (at least up until the end). No Way Home is definitely the best of the three, and its entirely carried by the Raimi villains + the course-correction of Tom's Spider-Man. I think if anything No Way Home is pretty strong evidence for how awful quippy dialogue is, as both Doc Ock and Goblin are clearly written with more Raimi-esque dialogue (campy and direct), and as a result they come off as significantly more sincere and menacing than like 95% of most MCU villains. Plus seeing Tobey and Andrew again was amazing, Andrew really killed it and showed everyone what he was capable of with good writing. Its probably one of the only modern nostalgia-bait films that actually works very well, its extremely respectful to what its calling back to. I genuinely hope with No Way Home's ending we never see Ned or MJ ever again, I'd begin to genuinely love Tom's rendition if he actually had to do things on his own like the ending was suggesting.

Side note for the Spider-Verse movies: imo gorgeous animation, extremely generic/flawed writing in both movies. I'd give both of them a 6/10 for different reasons. Very overrated but I at least appreciate their ambition.

Last edited:

TheGrat1

Spider-Man 2 is arguably the most overrated superhero movie of all time. All three of those movies were corny as fuck, but at least the fights in 3 had great emotional punch behind them.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
My only concern is Holland has zero range as an actor and, to me, cannot break out of the "gee-whiz golly" Spiderman
To be fair to him he's only able to work with what he's given and directed to do. If you haven't seen him in The Crowded Room, he shows that he's got more range than you're suggesting.

Kabelly

My biggest issue with Far From Home and also Across the Spiderverse is them breaking the third wall with the multiverse stuff. Seeing Tobey and Andrew in Far From Home honestly took out me out and just feels like Sony waving their pockets around in our face. It feels like nostaligia bait which clearly works on people, but to me it removes the contained nature of these stories. They could easily still keep the multiverse stuff but have different faces for Spider-Man that is still contained within the universe of the MCU. Instead they take you out and you're met with characters from "our" world's Spider-Man ip. Plus the use of famous memes for scenes is funny at first but is very lazy and too on the nose. Also I swear there is a scene between Andrew and Tobey that feels like straight improv.

Then in Across the Spiderverse the same thing happens where there's footage of other Spider-Man iterations from "our" world. It really just feels like IP flaunting.

daTRUballin

You know… you are right. And that is sad. Spider-Man 2 is really the last “rewatchable” Spider-Man. All the rest are just not that fun to rewatch. They were good the first time in theaters, but on every rewatch they get worse, except for 2 (and honestly spiderman 1 has charm that’s hidden behind its age and bad effects).

I will say though that Spiderman 3 is the only truely dog shit/bad one. The rest aren’t bad, just not good either, but Spider-Man 3 is honestly Batman & Robin levels of horrible.
Not even close. Spider-Man 3 is nowhere near as bad as Batman & Robin. Nothing is. Though I will admit I'm a bit biased as SM3 is a very nostalgic movie for me as it was the first Spider-Man movie I ever watched and I've always felt it was overhated. That doesn't mean I'm saying it's a good movie though lol

I'd say TASM2 is worse than SM3. It's like Sony didn't learn their mistakes from SM3 and made the same mistakes but even worse. Too many villains and just a mess all around. Dane DeHaan's Goblin is probably the worst live-action Spider-Man villain and belongs in the same category as the villains in the Schumacher Batman films. The only saving grace of this film was Garfield's performance and Peter's and Gwen's fantastic chemistry. The ending was pretty heart wrenching as well.

SirTerry-T

ASM2 was not a great Spidey film in any sense but Garfield in the suit (and the suit itself) was great plus it gave us this, the singular most Spidey-like behaviour in all of the films....

RagnarokIV

Sam Raimi's Spider-Man 4 taking influence from Spider-Man Reign.

Raimi gets full control and can finally go full intensity. It's a farewell to Spider-Man in the greatest concluding movie ever made.

craig fairbrass pat tate GIF by Signaturee Entertainment

Roufianos

I love the first 3, and the Andrew Garfield ones are pretty good too.

Homecoming is meh and Far From Home is one of the worst films I've ever seen. I thought No Way Home was awesome, mostly due to the nostalgia, but even the Tom Holland elements were a step up.

I actually had a really negative impression of the MCU as I'd only seen the Iron Man and first 2 Spiderman films but I recently gave some others a chance and it's not nearly as bad as I thought. Those two characters are just written with insufferable humour. Guardians is 🔥🔥.

Top Bottom