• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So what do you all think of the "hair part theory?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

riotous

Banned
What do you even mean part it on the right vs left?

Like when you say "part on the right" you mean from the right to the left?

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

The line from combing the hair to the side from your own perspective.

Right to the left means that line is on the right. That is beta.

ScOULaris

Clarified here:

SEMANTIC CLARIFICATION:

When I say right-side part, I'm referring to the part line being on the right side of your head from your own perspective, which would mean you're combing your hair over from your right to your left. Inverse goes for the left-side part.

Masculine = part line on your left
Feminine = part line on your right

Or so the theory goes.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Ask your barber, hair runs clockwise or counterclockwise from the back of the skull (slightly to the left or right of centre), so parting on one side or the other will be more natural depending.

I part my hair starting from my right side, going over to my left. I don't know why I did it this way but I did it this way starting 10+ years ago and I haven't ever changed.

I am right handed.

Im the only one who I know who does this.

ScOULaris

Ask your barber, hair runs clockwise or counterclockwise from the back of the skull, so parting on one side or the other will be more natural.

Strangely enough, my hair spiral in the back is clockwise but my hair parts better the opposite way. The plot thickens!

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Ask your barber, hair runs clockwise or counterclockwise from the back of the skull, so parting on one side or the other will be more natural.

I bet Australian hair swirls the opposite way of USA hair. Has to do with the equator.

I part my hair starting from my right side, going over to my left. I don't know why I did it this way but I did it this way starting 10+ years ago and I haven't ever changed.

I am right handed.

Im the only one who I know who does this.

Welcome to the alpha club!

Rubbing urine and vegetable oil into your hair can make it look voluminous and give it a shine that is capable of blinding if the light catches it at the right angle.

Look out for my book - so you're a cunt and want to try any old bullshit coming to stores July 2016.

Brakke

Banned
The part goes on your left because you hold a comb in your right hand. *Unless* you're some devil-kin lefty.

NimbusD

As a headshot photographer all I know is that subconsciously people tend to part their hair on the better looking side of their face. 90% of the time that's how it works out.

riotous

Banned
Thanks for the replies.

I part my hair the feminine way I guess. Probably to balance out the sheer manliness and confidence I exhude.

You're supposed to part in the direction of the natural "whorl" at the back of your head. Most men have a clockwise whorl, which is why left parts are the most common. If you have a counterclockwise whorl, which is a lot less common, you part on the right. If you don't have a distinct whorl, then part whichever way you want.

hairwhorl.jpg

I used to part on the left, but my hair never quite "settled", if that makes any sense. I noticed that I have a counterclockwise whorl, so I started parting on the right, and it looked more natural.

BTW, no one noticed that I switched sides lol.

As a headshot photographer all I know is that subconsciously people tend to part their hair on the better looking side of their face. 90% of the time that's how it works out.

This is at least quasi-conscious for me so I'm inclined to agree.

I'm also left-handed, don't self-identify as particularly masculine, and I part my hair on the right side, so idk.

It's not by choice that I have to part it right to left.... My fucking stupid ass hairline is receding there first! Plus, I have a bad cowlick on the right side that doesn't look good when I part from left to right, so I'm outta luck.. Which I don't even part it that extreme anyways, but it's there.

kramer

The British Prime Minister, David Cameron, changed his parting from right to left when he became Conservative leader due to the feminine/masculine thing.

balohna

My hair is kinda wavy/curly, if I part right it's more flat to my head and if I part left it has a bit more texture and volume to it. So I part left.

FrigidEh

I used to part my hair on the right but it always seemed a little off to me. Once I changed it to the left, I got more than a couple comments and it definitely looked better in my opinion.

Brokun

This is the problem with seeing yourself in a mirror; I have no idea how my hair is parted. Took me a while to figure out it's on the left (I'm left handed but usually comb with my right.)

I think I used to part it on the right but switched because it seemed like my hair went better the other way.

This isn't necessarily as bullshit a theory as you might believe, either.

They've done studies on films with left-to-right versus right-to-left movement and found that this kind of framing can actually have dramatic subconscious impacts on how people perceive scenes and characters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys8-a0yD-MM

Sorry to get off topic but holy shit this is fascinating.

Left handed here, I part to the right.

Right handed and my hair naturally parts on the left without any hair product.

A few times people have tried to part it on the right (usually with hair product) but oddly my hair seems to naturally resist it.

Sorcerer

And on which days do people treat you with more RESPECT?

Actually none, its just indecision about what looks better.

Parting on the left my hair lays flat.
Parting on the right gives me more of a pompadour, looks good at first but kinds wilts throughout the day.

GorillaJu

Asked my wife about this a few years ago without mentioning the theory or any of that business. Just tried once on the left and once on the right and she said parting on the left looked better.

Jacob

I'm a righty and part on the left, but am generally described more as the unusual, feminine, sensitive type than the alternative.

Then I came across some articles online about a supposed "hair part theory," concocted by some husband/wife duo. Naturally, the theory has little-to-no scientific backing and mostly uses anecdotal evidence to make its case. It argues that a left-side part is seen subconsciously by people as more confident, dominant, and manly while a right-side part is viewed as unusual, feminine, and sensitive. I was skeptical, so I started searching around for pictures of male celebrities with comb-over hairstyles.

lmao what a load of horseshit
I part towards "my" left (meaning the part is on the right ? this is so fucking confusing) so I guess it's on the right. Right handed. My hair goes naturally this way.

Futureman

If you part your hair to the opposite side of your dominant hand, it's evidence that your mom still combs your hair for you and it's possible you could get bullied for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom