• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Software Inc | Like Game Dev Story's more mature brother, manage your own company

http://www.swinc.net/
https://youtu.be/h8eB71XmTVo
Steam Early Access
Free demo available

$13.99, PC/Mac/Linux

Header1ST.png

Construct and design buildings for optimal working conditions. Hire people to design and release software, so you can defeat the simulated competition and take over their businesses. Manage and educate your employees to make sure they are skilled and satisfied with their job.

Current features:
  • Build, furnish and maintain office buildings up to ten stories + basement, on an enormous land
  • Hire employees to design, develop, support, research and market software in teams
  • Build roads and parking to ease commuting for your employees
  • Tend to your employees' needs, demands, skills and specializations, while making sure each team has compatible personalities
  • Customize your own employee avatar
  • Create your own software products and franchises
  • Compete in a simulated or event-driven market by selling your products, taking on contract work or trading stocks
  • Hire staff to repair your furniture and computers, and clean your office
  • Mod what kind of software you can develop, what kind of companies will be simulated, game scenarios, missions, personalities and random name generators
  • Delegate important tasks to your team leaders, such as managing development cycles and human resources
  • Set up your own servers for products, source control and running your own online store

---

Here are a some nice in-depth impressions from Toma, taken from the Indie Games thread
Software Inc Impressions:
Lets get the bottom line out of the way first, so you know how my impressions are generally meant to be read: Its a very promising Early Access game, with some rather annoying design/accessibility issues. Going by the stream of updates, planned content and feedback from the dev, I recommend jumping in if you arent allergic to Early Access games.

Gameplay:
There is quite a bit more depth to it than I imagined, partly due to the core mechanic (comparable to Game Dev Story) and mostly due to the plethora of other features that this simulation game entails. It is not only a game about levelling up your characters and pushing out software (Game Dev Story), but also focusses on aspects like stock market, software that is dependent on each other, an economy affected by the companies and software output, managing employer needs, managing time schedules, planning team structures for different parts of a project and so on and so forth. I am going to describe the basic gameplay formula now, but just so you know that there is quite a bit more to it once you start dipping more into it.
The basic gameplay idea consists around individual "workers" that have a subset of skills & needs, who are in charge of creating software, which you in turn sell to make profit. Easy (not 100% correct) example: You start with one guy, say he is good in system programming, but shitty at art, so you start with contract work on a few projects that dont require art skills, all the while making sure that the office isnt drowning in dirt and that he has his needs fulfilled (food, toilet, light), since otherwise his productivity will decrease.
That is only the easiest early game start though that doesnt even consider most of the aspects that make this game as appealing as it is. More intricate projects will need a bigger variety of skills, as you likely wont make a good audio program without someone specialized in Audio programming/coding. Another aspect the game is VERY good at, is mimicking an increasing need for structures with an increasing company size, which is at the same time highly satisfying for the player, as you start seeing more challenges and options as time goes along instead of needing to learn everything from day 1. For example, in the first few months of the game, you will likely only have one employer (yourself), which means you dont even need to care much about salaries, compatibility with other workers, vacation, parking spots, noise in the work environment, etcetc.

Issues:

I have a few issues with how the game is presenting itself though. The tutorial boxes and ingame help is very half baked and the game utterly fails at informing the player about certain game aspects and their importance or impact. Want to know how much a worker will approximately improve in a 3 month long educational seminar? Tough luck. The game didnt tell you that putting points into the leader skills for your own character is completely pointless? Well bad on your for wanting to be the "leader" of your projects right away! Trying to negotiate a bit with your employees on salaries only to notice that it will decrease their productivity by 50% for AGES? Bad you.
I am also missing a lot of contextual info, some information is presented in ever increasingly long boxes, which are very hard to read and compare because they require to scroll vertically and horizontally (instead of having a UI element that would allow viewing all info at once). Considering how much info the game has, there are also not enough info windows accessible and even less that contain the info exactly in the right way you'd need it. This game basically needs a Europa Universalis style ledger to sort for every info imaginable. The game has a very basic list based UI (think excel sheets), instead of more complex UI elements with charts/graphical elements and extensive hover infos.
Also, despite allowing the player to manage very miniscule aspects (which I very much appreciate), like how items are placed (which can have a huge impact) or which rooms are reserved for which team (for example, I have an extra room set aside for my marketing team), the game still currently doesnt go far enough. I can set rooms to certain teams, but I cant restrict a room to a single employee or a single part of a specific team. This becomes annoying when you have an employee who basically cant work with anyone else around her making noise for example. Also, while those aspects are pretty neat in itself, the player feedback is very much lacking. A worker will tell you that she hates the noise, but what is making the noise? A worker is unhappy about the lacking decoration in the office, but after putting down tons of plants and images, the worker still is unhappy and the game doesnt tell you why (for a very arbitrary reason, the worker seems to need a few months until she starts appreciating the decoration). Or what do you need water for? You can check the rooms for water ability, but nobody actually seems to need water.
All that makes the game very difficult to outright "enjoy", since you are required to learn what the game doesnt do yet. My first 2-3 hour session was for example completely shafted by me assuming two things (which I dont consider all too unreasonable): My main character should be the leader and I should be doing some contract work before educating myself. Wrong, ignore leadership and educate your main character in all things first (which is a bit of a design flaw and feels like abusing a gameplay mechanic btw), since otherwise you'll not be able to finish projects quickly enough to expand your company anytime soon.
What I am also missing a bit, is the differentiation between software that is similar on the outside. If I create Audio Maker 1, with outstanding quality, creating Audio Maker 2 could have the exact same features and still would sell great despite not differentiating. Shouldnt having the exact same features somewhat affect sales since the software is too similar? This might lead to less software developed though, which goes a bit against the nature of the game. Maybe having more smaller sets of features could solve this.
Another minor quibble, the newspaper articles needs more flavour text to make every release actually feel important, and it needs more buildable content. More office machines, decoration etc.

Current Content:
What I played so far was very enjoyable in itself. You have SIMS style house building, SIMS style needs for your workers (compatibility with other workers, light, toilet, food, space, decoration, salaries.. [note to myself, preferred working times would be cool as a need]), projects that need different sets of skills (Audio, Networking, System, 2D, 3D graphics, programming, designing..), jobs that are completely unrelated to programming and which will add more gameplay options or help you streamlining tedious tasks (receptionists, marketers, leaders, maintenance/cleaning/IT guys..), can divide employees into teams, complete with their own working environments, sub tasks and shift times, need to be aware of other companies' developments (challenging a very good and popular software might be a lot less profitable than challenging a low quality market leader of a different product category), all the while keeping dependencies in mind. Actually, since I love that aspect, lets quickly talk about dependencies and how that effects the economy:
Any program you are creating, you create for a certain (or multiple) OS. The features of the OS dictate which features your programs can use (if the OS doesnt have audio features, you obviously cant use them in your program either). That could lead to you deciding on an outdated OS, which still most of the population is using, despite that leading to you making objectively inferior products. That is a highly interesting dynamic, since the software output does also affect the popularity of the OS, meaning in my current game an older OS version is still relevant because I kept pushing content for it, despite already having 2 newer versions out.
And that doesnt even cover a lot of the features that I havent even touched yet, like parking spots, stock market, buying/selling IPs, leadership skills and whatnot.

Updates & Future Content:
The game seems to get a very good amount of regular content updates (every 2-4 weeks), which makes this a very promising project to support and play in Early Access. You can find the list of features to be included next or the ones having high/medium priority here: https://trello.com/b/9I286Mhu/software-inc and here is a changelog of the last big change 2 weeks ago:
  • PARTIALLY implemented company deals (Still WIP)
  • Added reception desk, receptionists and guests
  • Completely overhauled stock system! Each company now has X stocks worth Y, the first stock is always owned by the company and worth whatever was in the bank account at launch (Still WIP)
  • OS popularity now depends on the software released for it, increasingly as time goes on
  • Fixed actor timer not going down fast enough on 3x speed causing a lot of complaints
  • Completely overhauled how often simulated companies are created and how often they release new software, meaning ALL MODS WILL BREAK (Example here: http://coredumping.com/random/Games.xml )
  • Employees can now cut across diagonally when inside rooms
  • Added connect servers option in right click menu to connect all selected servers
  • Secondary blue highlighting, currently to highlight connected servers and assigned furniture/rooms
  • Autodev quality should depend on average applicable skill for work instead of leader skill
  • Added electricity, water and maintenance data overlay
  • Data overlay now affects employees skin in satisfaction/effectiveness mode
  • Made outstanding quality possible
  • Bugs now give bad rep continually
  • Added reputation barchart toggle in product detail window
  • Innovation now controls sales falloff over time, instead of just being a direct multiplier
  • Reputation stars will be red if decreasing
  • AI companies should plan releases ahead of time instead of just releasing them, this will enable a lot of cool stuff in the future, like planning ahead for the player
  • Sales are now multiplied by actual quality so bad releases don't get sales simply because there is no competition
  • Contract deadline is now visible in beta phase
  • Flatscreen TV now unlocks in 1995
  • Added ability to change color for lamps and holo computer
  • Double click column resize button to make fit contents
  • SCM server requirements have been reduced to counter balance changes in devtime during alpha 4
  • Removed turning animation and fixed pathing speed problem for speeds above 1x
  • Leaders shouldn’t handle themselves in HR, that is the player’s job
  • Remove screen tint when in color mode and or changing graphic settings
  • Ignore staff in data overlay mode
  • Added cool color filter to data overlay mode
  • Time should keep skipping after wage negotiation
  • Border in wire mode
  • Fixed employees wlking through skyscrapers
  • Add warning if company name hasn’t been changed when starting a new game
  • ESC to exit new game screen
  • Fixed light shining through floor in some cases with more shadows enabled

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
As a software project manager who used to be in production for games, I dunno if I'd necessarily enjoy this...reading through the bullet points, it would feel too close to the stuff I'm already doing at work. lol

GKB

I've been following this game, sounds very promising. It's still way too early for me though, will wait until it's a bit more complete.

Some things the dev is working on for the next big update:

- "Currently I’ve hidden most of the inconsistent logic in the market simulation behind really abstract math. It’s hard to figure out what’s wrong when you get a “You received $20000 this month”, without any real context. So to change this I’ve switched to calculating actual unit sales, which means I can track active users of each software, actual server bandwidth load, actual user operating system coverage and you can set the price of your software, see exactly how many fans you have, etc. "

- "Another thing I’m trying to achieve, which has also been requested a lot, is company specialization. Currently, you just try to push out as much software as possible. I’ve changed the reputation system so it’s split between business reputation, for company/employee interactions, and consumer reputation, measured in fans. Company reputation no longer directly affects sales, instead it affects your ability to get market recognition in different software markets, which directly affects sales. This forces you to pick a specialization for your company if you want to survive, and you can start moving into other software markets once you achieve some fame."

- "This brings me to the final big simulation change: Software categories. Each software type can now be split into categories, e.g. games have RPG, FPS, simulation, etc. Each category has different fan retention rates, development difficulty and popularity, and sometimes features. Once you have broken into a market in, say, RPG games, you will have an easier time breaking into the market for other types of games."

- "I’m also adding a 90s computer, which a lot of you requested. It doesn’t really make sense to jump directly from Commodore to flat screen. And as an added bonus: Laptops. I’m planning on adding computer add-on furniture, like tablets and phones, to increase effectiveness of certain employees. Not sure yet if it’ll make it into alpha 7 though"

Got super interested in the game again, checked out the Trello and the dev has some awesome mechanics in the pipeline like:

- crowdfunding your project
- employees becoming famous (marketing boost!), mentors, sending employees to conferences
- Tools and staff to deal with piracy, clones, leaks, DRM, viruses, etc.
- developing expansions and content updates for your games

Love the possible look of buildings with the improved design system

Stuart444

I loved Game Dev Story and Game Dev Tycoon (which I still play from time to time). This looks rather interesting...

Might check it out at some point. (missed this thread originally)

Merino

Bumping this thread as Alpha 9 just got released and I find it shameful how little interest there seems to be for this very interesting simulator game.

I only just found out about it and so far have really been enjoying it as it is very Theme Hospital style but much more improved and complex in terms of management simulation, although I also see a lot of yet unfulfilled potential.
The building tools I find very nice and enjoyable to use (select all objects of a kind in a room and recolor them all. All objects in a room and duplicate them to another room. Fantastic stuff!). I've seen some very cool creations on the workshop already.
The market simulation however feels rather off at the moment, both in terms of the sales of your products as well as the sales of competitors and the adoption rate of software and certain OS platforms. There just doesn't seem to be much logic to it right now.

It does seems that development has slowed down rather heavily during 2016. The gap between Alpha 8 and Alpha 9 was an entire year and if I look back at youtube video's from a year ago it didn't seem to have added incredibly much. Although progress has been slow in the second half of 2016 the creator has been very open and clear about his progress updates (and reasons for delays such as relocating) and has stated that from now onward he is back to full speed with enough funds to support his own development company for the next 4 years, which should boost well for the game being fully finished at some point.

Top Bottom