• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some Rebel Outlaw Galaxy trailers and gameplay

NahaNago

So this is a couple of videos for Rebel Outlaw Galaxy and from rebel galaxy youtube info "Double Damage Games is happy to announce Rebel Galaxy Outlaw, a blue-collar space combat adventure packed with outlaws, explosions, gleefully unrealistic spaceflight, and a hell of a soundtrack. Rebel Galaxy Outlaw is a sort-of-prequel to 2015’s Rebel Galaxy, this time dropping you right into the cockpit and doubling down on the roadhouse vibe of the previous game. It features high-octane space combat, over 20 hours of subspace radio, side activities like billiards and dice poker, plenty of sketchy characters to meet, and sketchier jobs to take on. Nobody’s saving the universe around here - they’d settle for saving a couple of credits. " It is coming to PC,PS4, and Switch in early 2019.

and 1 hour of footage from ign

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Can't wait for this game, hope going Epic-Store-Exclusive won't make it less of a success than the first Rebel Galaxy which was on Steam and wherever else.

Won't derail by questioning some of what they say about the Epic Store here, let's talk about the game and how awesome it looks instead :)

You took that out of your post in the other thread where I did question it lol :p

Holy shit at this thread not getting more replies when it was new.

You guys are nuts, the game looks ace!

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I liked everything except the combat in the original game. I grew up playing space sims and I'm glad they didn't repeat the "no Z axis movement" b.s.

Kadayi

Banned
Apparently, it seems part of the deal with Epic means a 1-year lock-in before they're able to release the game on either Steam or GOG

https://rebel-galaxy.com/rebel-galaxy-outlaw-launching-on-epic-games-store-qa/

They're pretty candid about their reasoning: -

Exclusives are anti-consumer, why would you do this? (you monster)

A) OK, so that’s a little complicated. And our answer is long-winded. Bear with us.

So, before Valve and the 70/30 split it was pretty darn rough to be an indie (both in terms of royalty share and in terms of the ability to sell things without a publisher). We can all thank Valve for using their leverage to make that happen, and usher in the era we have now. We think it’s safe to say that a large percentage of the games made today wouldn’t exist without it.

Epic is using their leverage to push that even farther, to 88/12. That’s another whole strata of developers who can survive.

Would we like that to become the new standard?
Yes.

Can that be done without leverage?
No.

Is some form of exclusive content required to get the momentum to make that happen?
Yes.

And we’re willing to get on board to make that happen. The only way this gets any traction is with some exclusive content and we’re willing to be one of the canaries in the mineshaft.

Do we hope there is a big upside for us? Sure. That’d be amazing. But we also hope this is the start of establishing a new standard

At a guess, I would assume the same 1-year exclusivity deal applies to the other games that have opted for Epic also.

In truth, I don't blame them, and I think it's good that they acknowledge the positives of the original Steam deal, but at the same time, I get what they are saying about the profit share and all.

Last edited:

bati

This might be worth giving Epic store a shot. I'm so glad they ditched the 2d plane - first game felt like a naval combat game, and this looks more like a proper space game.

Alexios

I liked everything except the combat in the original game. I grew up playing space sims and I'm glad they didn't repeat the "no Z axis movement" b.s.
Well think of the original as a take on stuff like Escape Velocity Nova, not Privateer. Kind of tactical action RPG-likes with a space theme rather than sims. Super glad they're doing this too though, can't wait!

Last edited:
Such a self aware trailer is both glorious and ham fisted
That "Yes you have to play as a woman, it's 2019," quote just....ugh....no reason to tote around your main character is a woman
My problem with the main character isn't that she's a women, it's that she's a bland middle-aged women that looks like someone's aunt. If I was running a small dev studio like this who live hand to mouth from each game to the next there's no way I'd release a space game with such a dull looking main character considering the space/flight game niche has been quite the graveyard for game companies over the years.

Ballthyrm

My problem with the main character isn't that she's a women, it's that she's a bland middle-aged women that looks like someone's aunt. If I was running a small dev studio like this who live hand to mouth from each game to the next there's no way I'd release a space game with such a dull looking main character considering the space/flight game niche has been quite the graveyard for game companies over the years.

I could care less what the main character look like. Is she well written is the important part.
You are going to control a ship most of the time anyways and not look at your character.

Alexios

Meh "trailer". I will get it next summer when it's available on a decent store/service. Gog, direct-from-developer drm-free, whatever other than EGS. Assuming it's good. Going by past footage it checks all my boxes seemingly, but they have a lot to prove in terms of a fully featured 3D space combat game. Especially one with the option to remain balanced and fun while not giving you full control of your ship with auto-tracking of enemy ships or whatever being the default. Though you can enable full manual control and that's what they need to get right for me to remain interested by then.

Edit: would be nice if it got VR support too past launch. Lol @ the thinly veiled point-by-point response. What's it to you? This what I'll do, you do you, eat your vegemite or marmite or anything you want, people get so worked up over others choosing not to use EGS, that's too weird even for gaming.

Last edited:

Nydus

Nice trailer :) will get it instantly if the reviews are good. Can't care less which store it sells. Oh and btw I think she is the aunt of the dude from the first game lol

desertdroog

My favorite part of the first game was being a Captain of a Capital ship, even in an arcadey sense. I loved the point defense systems and weapons arrays. It was like playing AssCreed Black Flag in space. I know they are going with smaller ships in this game, but I hope they offer up capital ships again if this game does well.

Karak Karak Thanks for the review. Got it due to your recommendation.

Game is very light on tutorials, this helped a lot. The good 'ol days of starting a game and not knowing what the hell to do :D

Last edited:

Thanati

Bought it yesterday. So far I’m really enjoying it. There are a few issues though. Combat feels a little too loose and as there are so many keys, a decent tutorial wouldn’t go amiss.

At the moment, enjoyable and a solid 8.

So this is really good! having a lot of fun. The combat with the music is sooo good!

If anyone like Freelancer this is a must!

Oh also the ship painting tool is insane, they basically added Photoshop in the game :D

Really awesome especially in this day and age where AAA companies charge you money to change the colour of your shoes.

Last edited:

Hudo

So this is really good! having a lot of fun. The combat with the music is sooo good!

If anyone like Freelancer this is a must!

Oh also the ship painting tool is insane, they basically added Photoshop in the game :D

Really awesome especially in this day and age where AAA companies charge you money to change the colour of your shoes.

Word. As someone who loved Freespace 2 and religiously played Freelancer, I have to say that Rebel Galaxy Outlaw pleasantly reminds me of those times.

Crowza

No Xbox release? That is so strange... Epic, PS4 and Switch. Is there an issue with Microsoft's revenue sharing (ala Steam), because it sure doesn't appear to be a "launch exclusive" deal?

Top Bottom