• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony controller patent: Wireless PS3 Glove controller?

GigaDrive

Banned
thanks to Jaws on B3D for this one.

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13251

link to patent: http://www.tinyurl.com/2a6zn

some pictures from the patent

glove1.jpg

glove2.jpg

glove3.jpg

quote Jaws:

I don't know if this has been covered before but it's an interesting SCE patent for a wireless, force feedback, glove controller destined for PS3?

Most gamers would agree that the most important element in a game is of course the gameplay, i.e. the 'fun' factor. They would also agree that certain 'other' elements would enhance this experience e.g. better graphics, sound etc. But the gameplay/ game mechanics is directly linked to the controller/ human input device and can be taken for granted.

I've heard FPS players express the keyboard/ mouse combo as a better control mecahnic than that of a joypad. I suppose the original game mechanics/design is tested with a preferred controller in mind for the target platform. I would much prefer to play half-life/quake with a KB/Mouse than with a joypad. However, I don't know if I'd prefer to play Metroid Prime with KB/M than with the GC controller? I would also prefer to play Street FighterII on the original arcade stick than on a controller...

Each successive generation brings along more btns or tries to add something new to the controller. I remember going from a dial type device that you needed to twist to play Pong with to a one button Atari joystick (8 directional!) to play Pac-man! Then there was a NES D-Pad controller with 2 buttons!..and the Megadrive with 6 buttons! And some gameplay took advantage of these extra buttons. The next innovation was the L and R shoulder buttons introduced by the SNES controller and certain play mechanics were created by this. The PS1 controller introduced an extra set of shoulder btns but it's biggest contribution was the 'grip' handles for comfort...(negated by the blistered thumbs from the D-Pad!). The N64 'analogue' stick, the trigger btn and the 'rumble' feature brought a new set of play mechanics. Hotly followed by the PS1 twin analog stick Dual Shock. Then the PS2 DS2 with the twin analogue sticks and analogue buttons. I think certain games are making use of the 2nd analogue stick but I'm not sure about the analogue buttons and whether that has introduced any new play mechanics is debatable. And here we are with the current gen with the XB and GC controllers adding twin analogue trigger btns...can't recall of any new play mechanics from these either. Then there are non standard controllers like the eyetoy, dance mats, steering wheels etc. enhancing certain types of gameplay specific to that human interface.

What extra features are we expecting from next gen standard controllers (i.e. the base model that all games are designed for) and would they introduce any new gameplay mechanics? Would the above Sony patent bring any new play mechanics to any game genres? I hope there are some innovations...because a new Sony DS3 with more buttons wouldn't really cut it and intoduce new gameplay?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
We did this in the Old GAF, already. Remember Naz and his infatuation with the Sony Love Glove? I'm pretty sure you were involved in the discussion, cellapu.

belgurdo

Banned
Semjaza Azazel said:
It's probably just for Japanese fingerbang simulations.

I'd never touch another glove controller after the Powerglove.

Megumi breast molestation simulator! Woohoo!

GigaDrive

Banned
We did this in the Old GAF, already. Remember Naz and his infatuation with the Sony Love Glove? I'm pretty sure you were involved in the discussion, cellapu.

no doubt.

though I don't remember those patent pictures.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
My hope is that Sony have patented this one with the intention of stopping anyone using it in the future, not because they think it's a good idea themselves.

That said, I believe there are companies out there who could file prior art...

Kudie

Mashing said:
Power Glove 2

Anyway, why waste their resources on this instead of making a 1st party wireless dual shock?

One thing I hope is that wireless controllers become the standard for next generation.

Azrael

Chris Deering commented before that the PS3 would incorporate Eyetoy out of the box and include a Minority Report style interface, so a PS3 application would be likely. Eyetoy for the PS2 is more of a novelty than anything, since the type of gaming applications for it are so limited (hence why every 3rd party Eyetoy game is a clone of Eyetoy Play with different graphics). A glove would allow more precise motion tracking with the recognition of complex hand movements and gestures, and filter out background motion as well. Something like a turn based strategy game where you manipulated the units solely with motion control wouldn't be possible with Eyetoy, but it would with this.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Well, a game like Anti-Grav does some neat things with the EyeToy and a couple of colored gloves already. It even tracks head movement without any need of helmets and stuff like that. I think the software keeps track of the eyes. This judging by the calibration phase I saw at E3.

In the game, you could turn left and right (leaning left/right with the body) and lean back and forth (leaning back/forth with the body). Hands were used just to grab icons passing by.

Top Bottom