• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony patent hints at 3D stacked chips with dual heatsink

SonGoku

Remember. The PS5, with its last minute overclock in attempt to reduce the gap between the XSX will overheat. 10.2 TF will not be reached.
It isn't a overclock and the variable clock frequency its a integral part of the design not a last minute reactionary measure. Besides we already have confirmation from DF speaking with devs of it running at a sustained 10.27TF. Not like confirmation was needed anyways as Cerny already committed to it running at peak performance most of the time

Tripolygon

Banned
PSVITA too afaik
Indeed it did. Sony has been using 3D stacking for a long time.
New+Picture+%25282%2529.png

Tripolygon

Banned
I don't understand why this patent is floating around again, it was already discussed and determined to be a big nothingburger.

It has nothing to do with 3d stacked chips.
I love this sort of uninformed takes. Already discussed and determined as big nothing burger by whom?

From the patent:

[0016] As illustrated in FIG. 1, an electronic component is disposed on the upper surface (first surface) of the circuit board 10. The electronic component is, for example, a heat generating component that generates heat during operation. In the example of the electronic equipment 1, an integrated circuit apparatus 5, which is a heat generating component, is disposed on the circuit board 10. The integrated circuit apparatus 5 is, for example, a microprocessor, a memory, an analog signal processing circuit, or other components but is not limited thereto. Also, the integrated circuit apparatus 5 may be a system in package (Sip) having a plurality of integrated circuit (IC) chips (silicon die) sealed inside a single package. In this case, the integrated circuit apparatus 5 may be a Sip having a plurality of IC chips arranged horizontally side by side or a Sip having a plurality of IC chips arranged vertically side by side. In the example illustrated in FIG. 1, the integrated circuit apparatus 5 has two IC chips 5c and 5d that are vertically stacked one on top of the other. An electronic component susceptible to temperature effects may be disposed on the circuit board 10 in place of the integrated circuit apparatus 5. Examples of such an electronic component may be a sensor, a light emitting diode (LED), an inverter, a motor, and so on.

H02iKIT.png

The point of the patent is about how to effectively cool an Sip package like the one in PSP and VIta but on a bigger scale like on a console. 3D stacking does not cause heating issue on a small scale like mobile SoC because they do not use a lot of power and produce a lot of heat, but on a console scale that problem is magnified. The patent aims to solve the heating issue by attempting to cool from both sides of the chip.

That is, if the device being cooled doesn't need as good of cooling as a traditional direct heatsink... because I'm telling you, this design will be considerably less efficient at cooling because the heat has to transfer through the PCB, which is itself a thermal resistance... which means some heat will get trapped in the walls of the conduits instead of sinking directly into a thermal paste/pad.
That is why they are passing heat via through holes in the PCB via heat conducting paths. Have you ever designed a cooling system since you're telling us this would be considerably less efficient at cooling.

Last edited:

Tarkus98

You Maniacs! You did it! Ah, damn you! God damn you all to hell....
I get this reference! Now if I wasn't so stupid I would post that captain America image. Or the charlton heston image in front of the statue of liberty. Such an awesome visual and ending to a great movie.
Sorry for the derail. Carry on.

Last edited:

geordiemp

I
That is, if the device being cooled doesn't need as good of cooling as a traditional direct heatsink... because I'm telling you, this design will be considerably less efficient at cooling because the heat has to transfer through the PCB, which is itself a thermal resistance... which means some heat will get trapped in the walls of the conduits instead of sinking directly into a thermal paste/pad.

Just as well we are not listening, I would prefer to take Cernys word that the cooling is very good.

Last edited:

onQ123

If PS5 chip is stacked I wonder what the configuration will be

Like would it be the GPU stacked on the CPU & I/O chip or will it be the SRAM stacked on the CPU, GPU & I/O chip.

Cerny did say large pool of onboard RAM this sound like the onboard RAM might have a layer to it self which would mean it's not taking up die space from the processors so they are able to add more.

512MB - 1GB of on chip RAM would probably be a game changer

Kokoloko85

As long as its quiet and cool I dont care. And TBH I dont really care what it looks like just fit in my tv cabinet please

Top Bottom