• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix teases various announcements leading up to E3; will reorganize development units

Shin

Banned
Today Square Enix published a transcript of its latest quarterly financial conference for investors and analysts, and it included a few interesting details about the publisher’s business.

First of all, we learn that Just Cause 4 sold fewer units than expected by Square Enix, leading to “disappointing” quarterly results.
That being said, digital sales of Shadow of the Tomb Raider showcased a degree of growth during the Holidays. That being said, Lara Croft’s latest adventure shipped 4.12 million units as of the end of December 2018, and this is defined as a “weak start.”

Multiple among the mobile and browser games launched in the latest quarter also “got off to a lackluster start.”
While Kingdom Hearts III already shipped over 5 million units, Square Enix expects sales to grow further before the end of the fiscal year in March, as the game should be a significant contributor to the improvement in earnings in the quarter between January and March.
Interestingly, CEO Yosuke Matsuda teased “various” game announcements “in the leadup to this year’s E3” related to the fiscal year ending in March 2020.

Credit: Twinfinite
Source: Square-Enix

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Avengers has to be shown at E3, right? You'd think they'd save something that big.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
No surprise for JC4, they fucked up the third one big time performance wise, so naturally fans would be hesitant to give the franchise Another shot. JC4 also seems to come with minimal improvement to the established formula and the weak sales could be linked to franchise fatigue. I hope this doesn´t mean the end for JC. Love the series so I hope it doesn´t get the axe from SE.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
over 4 millions for Tomb Raider is still below expectations?

What's funnier is that they categorise it as a "weak start". The game's on Game Pass, they've effectively hamstrung their Xbox sales completely so that people.. I don't know, get enthusiastic about the next one which might never happen? I'm not sure.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Is TR profitable at 4 million? I don’t know much about how much it cost to make, market and distribute. It did get discounted pretty quick.

kyubajin

This company needs serious restructuring, overly long development cycles, disappointing entries in key franchises, over reliance in Nomura, etc.

mejin

What's funnier is that they categorise it as a "weak start". The game's on Game Pass, they've effectively hamstrung their Xbox sales completely so that people.. I don't know, get enthusiastic about the next one which might never happen? I'm not sure.

Game got 50% discount promo on PSN and the others in a month after launch and we alread saw on promo several times after.

Anyway, dunno the hell they want to do with this ip.

Ownage

No surprise for JC4, they fucked up the third one big time performance wise, so naturally fans would be hesitant to give the franchise Another shot. JC4 also seems to come with minimal improvement to the established formula and the weak sales could be linked to franchise fatigue. I hope this doesn´t mean the end for JC. Love the series so I hope it doesn´t get the axe from SE.

JC3 was weak across the board compared to JC2. Less plot development, and the topography was less interesting. There were many components, besides the game performance, which seemed rushed. I'll wait until I see a used copy of JC4 before picking it up.

Top Bottom