• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSD sale at Best Buy this week

Topher

Gold Member
"PS5 Ready" SSDs are down to $149.99 for 2 TB

0Xjf5qM.png

1 TB for $79.99

qm0JYda.png

Not just for "Ready for PS5" drives though. Most of the SSDs are marked down:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Been thinking about getting 2tb drive for my ps5.
Maybe wd sn850s with heatsink. Put the heatsink on and screw metal cover? or leave cover out?
I am a physical ps5 user so I don't really need it probably but if the price was right? why not

StereoVsn

Maybe wd sn850s with heatsink. Put the heatsink on and screw metal cover? or leave cover out?
I am a physical ps5 user so I don't really need it probably but if the price was right? why not
Put the drive with the heatsink in and out the cover on. Unless you got a fancy heatsink/cover hardware that you can get off Amazon.

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
I’m using the firecuda 530 with heat sink and cover off many tests online show that using the metal cover creates so much heat so just leave it off unless you live in dirty/dusty house

Paulxo87

is there even a better drive than the corsair mp600pro?(for ps5) 150 for 2TB. It's constantly on the top of the list of benchmarks.. big ass heatsink too - I watched a video where it outperformed most because it stays cooler under heavy constant read/write.

Best deal I encountered was a 4TB Crucial M.2 for $215. Had $100 credit so I also caved, will include it in a future Mini-ITX build (need case recommendations).

Seems there is a backlog of inventory the market needs to flush out of the system.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
I have the s70 blade and can vouch it is good and fast. Read speed over 6300MB/s

Spyxos

Gold Member
Have they produced too much? Or why are they so cheap all of a sudden? I paid twice as much a year ago.

Mr Hyde

I'm hoping the Seagate Firecuda 530 drops in price soon. 2TB would be a good fit now, since game's starting to come in at 150 gb a pop. Black Friday can't come soon enough 🛒

Amazon has 2TB WD SN850X for $147 when you clip a coupon. It's the one that doesn't come with a heatsink so add some $10 cheap one when you check out.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

$150 is a good deal on a 2TB? Since when?

I've seen the Samsung 980 Pro for less than that a couple times, which is apparently comparable.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
So what games other than Star Citizen (I mean, it doesn't count as a game and runs like shit even on SSD) require an SSD to run optimally? I can't think which from my HDD library to move to an SSD I just got (can't fit all, only 500GB). Like even Rem4ke runs perfectly fine off HDD so. Googling this you just get folks from years ago recommending to use it for open world shit like GTAV or Assassin's Creed but what's the point if they already run 60+ fps off HDD? I don't recall any recent games having huge loading times or anything either if it would help with that even if not with performance. Does it maybe help avoid the odd stutter in Everspace 2 since it does have an SSD in the recommended specs? Does Elden Ring get any boost whatsoever? Just any game to see a big difference in (but it has to be a good and fun game first obviously).

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
So what games other than Star Citizen (I mean, it doesn't count as a game and runs like shit even on SSD) require an SSD to run optimally? I can't think which from my HDD library to move to an SSD I just got (can't fit all, only 500GB). Like even Rem4ke runs perfectly fine off HDD so. Googling this you just get folks from years ago recommending to use it for open world shit like GTAV or Assassin's Creed but what's the point if they already run 60+ fps off HDD? I don't recall any recent games having huge loading times or anything either if it would help with that even if not with performance. Does it maybe help avoid the odd stutter in Everspace 2 since it does have an SSD in the recommended specs? Does Elden Ring get any boost whatsoever? Just any game to see a big difference in (but it has to be a good and fun game first obviously).

SSD just improves load times really.

Top Bottom