• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stadia unquestionably one of gaming's most abysmal flops of all time from a major company, possibly surpassing Wii U

Status
Not open for further replies.

Three

This only tells me that Google are going to announce something for stadia soon if articles are coming out asking them to kill it. I mean why would you want a product to die? Makes no damn sense.

The only problem with Stadia is its business model. With GPU, I pay a small monthly fee and can stream hundreds of often brand new games. With Geforce Now, I pay a small monthly fee and can stream most of the games that I own indefinitely and can also play natively if I want to. With Stadia, I have to buy games on Stadia and I can only stream them via Stadia, for which I have to pay an additional monthly fee, and that's it. No deal.

Last edited:
Multi billion dollar companies don't consider the future?

Maybe you haven't considered that mobile technology by it's nature has to be both physically way smaller and and also requires to draw way less power than a mains connected full size device. This means that mobile will always lag behind in tech and power regardless of how far you want to project into the future. Another thing to consider is how the size of GPUs is going up rather than down to get better graphical power, look how much bigger the current gen consoles are to previous gen. We are getting to the point with node processes where miniaturisation over time is no longer guaranteed, at best it has slowed and will continue to slow looking at current trends. If anything the trends point to a future where we have huge hyperconverged graphic and compute farms in data centres and the cutting edge games are only possible to be run at scale via streaming. It probably won't even be feasible to have native hardware in your home run the best games in the future let alone run those games on a tiny mobile device.
You say as if all gaming companies are committed cloud gaming when it's just a few companies. You are exactly the type of person I'm talking about there is nothing inevitable about cloud gaming.

The problems you bring up about mobile technology will also affect servers and so far it was never a problem.

Another mistake you make is assuming people want to play these games that don't even exist that would not even be able to be rendered locally as if game devs aren't already having a massive hard time making games as they are.

Last edited:

JCK75

I personally think it's a shame because when it comes to just ease of use and the quality of the experience.. Stadia was lightyears ahead of every other service.
but Google just could not put it in an enticing package.

Not revisionist. The only expectation expectation it to be good came from marketing fluff pieces passed off as gaming journalism.

No real gamer expected stadia to work or even be half decent. Streaming is a pipe dream until we all have 1tb/s internet, cap free connections AND companies don't cheap out on servers and horsepower on their side. None of that will ever happen.

Ouya and stadia were built atop a mountain of their own farts, not real expectations.
Streaming already work,the big issue is just that nobody cares about it.

CeeJay

You say as if all gaming companies are committed cloud gaming when it's just a few companies. You are exactly the type of person I'm talking about there is nothing inevitable about cloud gaming.
Nope, I never said all companies are currently committed to cloud. You proposed a future state, 10 years was it? I proposed a more likely future state based on current trends than what you were saying.
The problems you bring up about mobile technology will also affect servers and so far it was never a problem.
The difference is that in a server farm it doesn't matter if the GPU cluster is the size of a house whereas mobile has to be small and power efficient.
Another mistake you make is assuming people want to play these games that don't even exist that would not even be able to be rendered locally as if game devs aren't already having a massive hard time making games as they are.
You're the one making mistakes in your static way of thinking. The trend shows that kids today are more likely to play on mobile and are happier to adopt new things than older people (I am an older person and hate mobile gaming BTW), the kids of today are going to be the adults of tomorrow with the disposable income and they will become the core market. Us older gamers as a market are only ever going to reduce so we don't matter as much. You talk about the future but base it on what is currently popular and more importantly you're own biases rather than looking at the bigger picture and where things are likely headed.

Last edited:
Honestly 2 million isn't... that unimpressive?

I think it's obvious it flopped for sure, but I think that has to do with too high of expectations.

Cloud streaming is just not ready to take over the world like the tech giants think/want it to.. and it may never take over gaming TBH.

But honestly I think 2 million is probably a high estimate lol

At any given time there are ~300k people playing Destiny 2 on Xbox and maybe ~350k on Playstation... it's rarely above 6k on Stadia... and Destiny 2 was the premier game they used to market/launch the service and has been free with "Pro" from the beginning.

Wii-U is worse because it came from Nintendo, after a massive success... and they legit had to discontinue the hardware right away and pay back retailers for unsold games.. OOF.
But Nintendo had their golden goose 3DS business which was cranking by 2013 to fall back on. Plus without the Wii U being a clear flop, they never would have been motivated to dig deep and come up with the Switch, which may end up being the most successful platform of all time, or at least in the Top 3 alongside PS2 and DS. If the Wii U did even "okay" vs what actually happened, they might have never combined their handheld and console lines together.

Last edited:

The Alien

Banned
Unless Google returns to gaming with an actual effort and support, then Stadia is easily gaming's biggest failure.

Google is significantly larger with access to some of the most cutting edge tech and infrastructure on the planet. Along with Amazong and FB, they were one of the big 3 to threaten entry into gaming.

What we got was a Google Ouya cube with some older games, an insane pricing structure and results that (for the time being) erased one of the biggest companies on the planet from gaming.

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
Unless Google returns to gaming with an actual effort and support, then Stadia is easily gaming's biggest failure.

Expansion: LATAM, India, South Korea, Japan...

Low Change Port Tools: (from Windows to linux) They are reducing development time from months to weeks and they're still working on the tools to push the limits.

Entry fees: For Fifa 23 next gen, low salaries won't be able to pay for the PS5...

Stadia is the cheapest way to access Fifa 23 and...

Energy war, inflation, many factors that will push people to considere Stadia as an option for reasonable gaming.

In my opinion, is was just nowhere near ready. I think that had they delayed a year in order to fully flesh it out instead of just rushing it to market, it may have had a chance. Being first out of the gate does not always equate to success.

Giving up on it right after launch was the death knell. Breaking into gaming is hard. You’re not gonna be a top player your first year. Competition is so fierce.

They didn’t have the patience to play the long game and win people over, and eventually chew away market share.

Last edited:

Majukun

possibly surpassing?i'd say it's worse for sure...i know people with a wii u, I only used stadia a couple times for work because we released on it.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
The only problem with Stadia is its business model. With GPU, I pay a small monthly fee and can stream hundreds of often brand new games. With Geforce Now, I pay a small monthly fee and can stream most of the games that I own indefinitely and can also play natively if I want to. With Stadia, I have to buy games on Stadia and I can only stream them via Stadia, for which I have to pay an additional monthly fee, and that's it. No deal.
Technically the subscription fee with Stadia isn't required, unless you want to stream in anything above 1080p. Stadia also copied the Games with Gold model from Xbox, when they should have copied the Game Pass model like Amazon did. All these decisions are stupid considering the alternatives you mentioned.

TheMan

I agree, but it feels like Google barely even tried. They weren’t willing to stick it out and invest deeply the way Microsoft did for example, and the end result is a brand that never made a splash and disappeared from the collective gaming consciousness nearly instantly.

I have to wonder why they even bothered

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Maybe video game streaming will take off than google will sit back and say we started it. Google should have learned from onlive.

Fat Frog

Technically the subscription fee with Stadia isn't required, unless you want to stream in anything above 1080p. Stadia also copied the Games with Gold model from Xbox, when they should have copied the Game Pass model like Amazon did. All these decisions are stupid considering the alternatives you mentioned.
Agreed. Pro Sub is a serious mistake...

Nonetheless, a la carte gaming is great for many people. (Casual dad players, one game fanboys... Binge gaming is popular on GAF but there is clearly a big niche if Google chooses wisely its library: Fifa Boys, Madden uncles...)

Fat Frog

That's half true

A console on a major know form, yeah, Google never manufactured. Still, the servers are virtual consoles that runs the games, and they have development kit and stuff

@thread
For threads like this that I made Stadia's Roadmap... of Death
Don't worry, it's like the wounded beast.

Anti clouds know the imminent Stadia launch in LATAM will be popular and could greenlight for good India/asia expansion.

They're nervous and desesperate. Try to understand them 😎

" Noooooooo, don't try Stadia. Pleaaaaaase"

Last edited:

Three

There is a Stadia Pro subscription with a monthly fee which has a library of games like GPU and is in fact cheaper than GPU. so no it's not the business model it's the streaming alone. You don't even know if xcloud is doing better than Stadia (it probably isn't).

Last edited:
There is a Stadia Pro subscription with a monthly fee which has a library of games like GPU and is in fact cheaper than GPU. so no it's not the business model it's the streaming alone. You don't even know if xcloud is doing better than Stadia (it probably isn't).
Have you seen the games on Stadia Pro? Gamepass is three leagues ahead of that.

If you say so, but you said it's the business model of "on stadia I have to buy games" not the quality of the content.
I have to buy games if I want to have fresh, quality content. Gamepass mostly delivers that without having to buy anything.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I see Stadia as a much larger failure because of its scope and how comprehensively it failed.

Sure; I wasn't super clear, but what I meant was "ignoring that Google had way too high of expectations the Wii-U is a bigger failure."

A player in an established market, who is iconic in gaming, released a massive, massive flop.

If Google had realistic expectations, 2 million isn't bad at all.... PS Now never reached anywhere near those heights until after they added game downloading.. took them years to only get a few hundred k users.

Don't get me wrong Stadia is a massive embarrassment for many reasons.. I mean they way over-produced the "controller + chromecast" bundles to the point they were giving away a $125 bundle. Like I literally got one free lol

But Wii-U is pretty unprecedented in the console space and came directly after one of the biggest successes ever. We think the Xbox One was a bit of an embaressment.. because it sold like 2/3rds of it's predecessor.. Wii-U was more like 1/5th.

Last edited:

Rambone

Stadia has good games, games everyone has already played else ware unfortunately and not enough developers releasing games on it besides the usual suspects. Stadia's streaming service works great for the most part and quality is better than Xcloud, Luna, Sony's version of it and most of Nvidia's GeForce Now services (haven't tried their 3080 tier). Stadia/Google made themselves irrelevant in my mind by not upgrading their hardware specs to at least compete with PS5 and Series X. It also doesn't help there are a ton of shit posters and articles that come up every now and then claiming Google is going to kill Stadia when for now that is not even the case when in-fact they are expanding and working with other companies to utilize Stadia for playable demos.

Would I buy new games from Stadia at this point? No. I'm not interested in buying individual games at this point when I have services like Gamepass/Xcloud where I can play ALL gamepass games over the cloud as part of my GP Ultimate sub. I like Nvidia's model as well where I can play games I own on Steam, which protects me from Nvidia killing their streaming service. I like Luna as well, it's a monthly sub and you can play quite a few games although Amazon has gotten a little out of hand with it lately separating games into paid categories, want to play classic games, sub here, do you want RPG's, sub for this package here, want Ubi+ and every other publisher+ package, sub for this on the side.

Is Stadia a failure? Only in the eye of the beholder. I think Stadia is a success in regards to showing us that Cloud tech is viable, so long as the hardware backing it is kept up to date, latency to the datacenters is low and there is content to be consumed.

It's not over until the fat lady (frog) sings.

Edit:
Looks like it is the end of the road https://www.theverge.com/2022/9/29/23378713/google-stadia-shutting-down-game-streaming-january-2023

How about dem apples

Last edited:

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Don't worry, it's like the wounded beast.

Anti clouds know the imminent Stadia launch in LATAM will be popular and could greenlight for good India/asia expansion.

They're nervous and desesperate. Try to understand them 😎

" Noooooooo, don't try Stadia. Pleaaaaaase"
Stadia has good games, games everyone has already played else ware unfortunately and not enough developers releasing games on it besides the usual suspects. Stadia's streaming service works great for the most part and quality is better than Xcloud, Luna, Sony's version of it and most of Nvidia's GeForce Now services (haven't tried their 3080 tier). Stadia/Google made themselves irrelevant in my mind by not upgrading their hardware specs to at least compete with PS5 and Series X. It also doesn't help there are a ton of shit posters and articles that come up every now and then claiming Google is going to kill Stadia when for now that is not even the case when in-fact they are expanding and working with other companies to utilize Stadia for playable demos.

Would I buy new games from Stadia at this point? No. I'm not interested in buying individual games at this point when I have services like Gamepass/Xcloud where I can play ALL gamepass games over the cloud as part of my GP Ultimate sub. I like Nvidia's model as well where I can play games I own on Steam, which protects me from Nvidia killing their streaming service. I like Luna as well, it's a monthly sub and you can play quite a few games although Amazon has gotten a little out of hand with it lately separating games into paid categories, want to play classic games, sub here, do you want RPG's, sub for this package here, want Ubi+ and every other publisher+ package, sub for this on the side.

Is Stadia a failure? Only in the eye of the beholder. I think Stadia is a success in regards to showing us that Cloud tech is viable, so long as the hardware backing it is kept up to date, latency to the datacenters is low and there is content to be consumed.

It's not over until the fat lady (frog) sings.

We’re grateful to the dedicated Stadia players that have been with us from the start. We will be refunding all Stadia hardware purchases made through the Google Store, and all game and add-on content purchases made through the Stadia store. Players will continue to have access to their games library and play through January 18, 2023 so they can complete final play sessions. We expect to have the majority of refunds completed by mid-January, 2023.

Happy Eddie Murphy GIF by Laff

TheKratos

But you have to keep in mind how little risk they have taken too. I mean as crappy as adoption seems and as much as we make fun of it, do we know if it makes money or loses money? It must not cost much to actually run. They sure seem to be keeping it around ......
You jinxed it!

tommib

Am I a psychic?

Psybear.jpg

I beared the bad news about GTA6 being cross gen, days later the leak comes out showing a cross gen looking GTA

then I beared the bad news about Stadia being one of the biggest flops ever, and today Google announces it's game over for Stadia

[/URL]
You deserve a year of Gold for your thread and all the fanatics downplaying it should be restricted to the off topic section.

Fat Frog

I'm glad you are taking it well. I hope you will stick around even if you're no longer being paid to post here. :messenger_heart:
I would be fucking angry if i only lost my games...
But with full refund it means Google paid all my gaming time and electricity bill since 2020 (75%... And i had 3 CCU and Stadia controllers for free).
I'm just disapointed because i liked the tech and the family share was awesome.

I already recovered half of my Stadia library with EGS and Prime free games playable with GFN 😎

I now have a contract with Luna and GFN 🥳

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom