• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek Discovery - Season 2 |OT| A Gentler, Kinder Trek

Kevin

giphy.gif

Season 2 of Star Trek: Discovery started up last Thursday. The new season is a sort of soft reboot to the new series after complaints that the new series was too dark. The took a lot of the fan criticism to heart and really added a lot more lightheartedness, color and changed up the overall tone of the show to appeal to a larger Trek audience.

Trailer:

I watched the hour long season premiere last Thursday and was saddened that nobody was discussing the show here on NeoGAF and felt I would at least create a thread and offer my personal input. I was already a fan of the first season. I do agree with some of the complaints but personally thought that they did their best taking Star Trek into a more modern era of television but it wasn't without it's faults. That being said season 2 has begun and right out the gate this is a huge leap forward for the series.

The Season premiere was big in every way. The easy thing to note is how gorgeous and cinematic the visuals are. Pretty much felt like you are watching a movie. Secondly you notice the lighter tone and more classic feel to the overall product. More lighthearted, more fun and a larger focus on the characters and the storyline. The premiere was awesome and I'm seeing that a lot of people that hated the first season came back and are already enjoying season 2.

So if you guys were not completely happy with season one of Discovery then I would suggest at least checking out the premiere for season 2 as the show has been entirely revamped at this point.

USA viewers: You can watch the show on CBS-All Access every Thursday along with the Star Trek Shorts.
International viewers: You can watch the show on Netflix every Friday along with the Star Trek Shorts.

Seriously, it was "fun" to make fun of Discovery last season or claim the Orville is better but this new season is already off to a wonderful start. Don't sit on it!

The new crew additions are fantastic as well. Captain Pike feels more like a Star Trek captain and is awesome as well as the comedian, Tig Notaro playing the new Chief Engineer.

star-trek-discovery-season-2-poster-1150285.jpeg

Reviews:

https://trekmovie.com/2019/01/18/re...enews-the-faith-in-season-two-opener-brother/

https://www.tvguide.com/news/star-trek-discovery-season-2-review-stronger-more-fun/

https://www.avforums.com/review/star-trek-discovery-season-2-review.15781

https://comicbook.com/startrek/2019/01/07/star-trek-discovery-season-2-review/

Has anyone else watched the premiere? Your thoughts?

Last edited:
I don't know what they're doing. They even ripped off a cheesy Orville scene at one point out of desperation. Star Trek fans watching Orville aren't watching it for the toilet humor/comedy, but for the happy go lucky sense of adventure and positive future being depicted. Season 2 of STD literally strarts off with a big bad intergalactic Thanos-esque villain. Let's not mention the scuffed Spock that looks like a fan from a convention.

Not only has this show failed to capture the Marvel/Star Wars crowd (they aren't drawn to the Trek brand), it has completely dumped the Star Trek series crowd. If this makes it to season 3, consider me an actual dog.

After the heavy-handed ridiculous and rushed train-wreck that was the first, the introduction into the second season leaves me equally underwhelmed. While the first episode certainly tries to go in a new direction, the focus on over-the-top action and the silly deadpan humor lends to thee impression that the writer still don't know what Star Trek is about.

They've looked at the success of The Orville and Guardians of the Galaxy and tried to inject the same kind of humor into the series without realizing that this sort of interpersonal dynamic simply does not jive with a full fledged Trek show. The turbolift scene was pure and utter cringe and so was Tilly's “the power of math” exclamation. Apparently Linus the Saurian doesn't know handkerchiefs and Tilly is a character from the Big Bang Theory. It reminds me of when Data installed his emotion chip and discovered his sense of humor. None of the jokes felt organic as the writers desperately tried to inject some humor into the series.

The intro starts off with some African myth about the creation of the Milky Way, as religious and superstitious undertones are interspersed throughout the whole episode, culminating in Michael Burnham's encounter with a space "angel". Burnham remains the silly hothead with a penchant for lecturing people, keeping in tradition with her grating character. The episode suggests that she was supposed to teach Spock about empathy so that he can better "interact with humans", which to be quite frank, is the most ridiculous idea committed to paper when it comes to Trek lore.

First of all, Spock is a Vulcan and as such Utilitarianism would best describe his ethical foundation throughout the series. His reasoned and logical approach to virtue has served Spock well in the past and I cannot fathom why the show tries to subvert that. It's not as if emotional ethics of care are inherently superior to a logical one, as the show would suggest. Second of all, Spock is half-human, so there's really no need "teaching him empathy" as emotional attachment is already part of his personality. Lastly, since "empathy" is an emotion, it cannot be "thought" as it's not an intellectual virtue. Emotional Spock is supposed to be something exceptional, usually bringing out the worst in him because as a Vulcan he's ill-equipped solving problems on an emotional basis. In other words, this whole sub-plot makes no damn sense.

Saru has better vision than most humans, so he is asked by Burnham to decipher the marooned ship's registry number from the frikkin' bridge screen. If his eyes can read the registry from the screen, I'm sure so can the ship's scanners. Makes absolutely no sense. After that they launch in their little pods Battlestar Galactica style, accelerating through a narrow set of intermingled tubes.

The race through the asteroid field looked nice, but felt more like a scene from Star Wars, especially with the silly "pod racing" sounds. What's even the point rushing full speed through a highly unstable field of space debris? They have like two frikkin' hours to arrive at their destination. I get that they can't beam over there, but if they can land a bunch of space pods, they can just as well get there by shuttle. Also, don't they have deflector shields anymore? The whole situation felt so contrived, it was just a weak excuse to shove another action sequence in there.

Of course, Pike's officer Connelly dies because he wouldn't listen to Burnham, crashing into a rock while "mansplaining" to her. If only everybody could be as awesome as Burnham who can "withstand 9G for 11 minutes". Then they find Jett Reno on a marooned spaceship, an engineer who is keeping her shipmates alive with makeshift apparel and a dry sense of humor. She's not a doctor, but is capable of doing all this because "the human body is basically a machine" and because "she reads books"... but of course!

The mysterious space mystery, which are 7 red bursts scattered throughout the galaxy, are so nondescript I don't even care for the show to unravel the secret behind it. Considering thee general quality of writing, I wouldn't speculate too much either, as you'll only end up disappointed.

Lastly there's Stamets who still mourns the loss of his partner, listening to space opera. Apparently Kasillian space opera singers suicide themselves after their one and only performance, giving Stamets a weak excuse to throw in the towel having received an invitation to teach at the Vulcan Academy. Uhm yeah... ok. Considering that Vulcans are an isolationist people and highly protective of their culture, is that even a thing? I mean, Stamets invented the spore drive (one of the cool concepts in the new series) but considering what an uproar Spock's departure from the academy was, I highly doubt Vulcan academics would be very welcoming to a human professor especially one that is still very emotionally involved in the death of his partner.

The tone of the first episode is all over the place. When they arrive as the asteroid field, the music starts ramping up like crazy, as if they could die any moment now. If this were a Trek show, the crew would arrive there calmly, collect data and scan the environment according to procedure without having a go at each other like hysterical groupies at a Justin Bieber concert.

The episode shows again how little the writers care about Trek canon. It puts spectacle over meaning in a way that is not befitting the Trek franchise. The show is visually appealing enough to be entertaining as a generic sci-fi show, but as Star Trek it is woefully incapable. The only nice thing about this episode were the TOS uniforms making a comeback. Screw the silly gold and silver uniforms that looked like they were designed by Cartier.

Ownage

I'm the guy who waits for the season to conclude, then pays for a month and watches it in 1-2 sittings. Very glad to hear S2 is solid. I loved S1 being so dark (I'm also of the opinion to end MCU with Thanos' snap), but hope that S2 retains the "serious consequences to actions taken" theme.

Looking forward to watching.

PS - The Orville sucks.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
Feels nothing like Trek. I'll keep watching The Orville and other older trek series. Tilly as the comic relief is cringe inducing.

v1oz

I don’t think TRD was ever billed as a classic trek. They always said it was different, with the entire series based on a single story line and a main protagonist. It’s a more action packed series compared to TNG. They’re however bringing back Jean Luc Picard for a more traditional trek series. But honestly the original series with Kirk was quite action packed and bombastic especially for the time period.

Last edited:
I feel like beggars can't be choosers. At the end of the day, it's more Trek, warts and all.

In this case, sure they can. It's called the Orville. STD isn't star trek in any way outside of the brand name and thats not enough. Even if you don't like the humor in Orville, it has more substance outside of that than STD.

Last edited:

Kevin

It appears that Star Trek: Discovery continues to break records for CBS All-Access which I personally feel is well earned. From the article:

According to CBS Interactive, CBS All Access added more subscribers in a single weekend than ever before, breaking the previous record set during the 2017 series premiere of Star Trek: Discovery by +72%. In addition, this weekend also set a new record for unique viewers on CBS All Access.

Specific numbers were not released.

The full article:

https://deadline.com/2019/01/star-t...onship-cbs-all-access-subscribers-1202539191/

Fantastic news. A lot of people are questioning why the actual numbers never get released and I think the reason for that is because people would compare them to Netflix and what not completely forgetting that CBS All-Access is a new platform with a very small userbase and content so it's an unfair comparison. Of course Star Trek: Discovery will have lower numbers then the big hitters on Netflix.

I think in the case of the show being on CBS All-Access I would say that it appears to be a rather huge success for that specific platform which I hope is indication that Star Trek will have a healthy future moving forward.

Tevious

Has anyone else outside the US not gotten this on Netflix yet? It's been nearly a week and still no season 2 yet.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I've watched the first episode on friday when it released on Netflix and I am so much underwhelmed. I get that they try to capture the TOS feel with the more lighthearted writing, but oh do they suck at that. Tilly is such a grating character, everytime she opens her mouth I can only weep. And she opens her mouth often. strange headache strange headache already quoted the most terrible moment, her "The power of math" exclamation. It's really as if non-commedians without any grasp for science (or the antics of scientists) were to try to write a BBT character. Awful, truly awful. Then there's the super human Michael who knows everything, can do everything and is the most virtuous person alive. She's basically Q without the character faults. Why do they write such a character? Why do they make her the focus of the show?

Finally, there was this absurd action / flight sequence, which was all show and no substance, truly capturing what Star Trek should never be.

I guess I did not find the start into season 2 as god-awful as the start into season 1 but that it not a big achievement. I don't want to copy everything strange headache strange headache said, because saying more about that episode would necessarily boil down to that. They really need to throw out that writing team and get some decent science fiction writers. Maybe the writers are good at other kinds of stories, but Star Trek style science fiction is absolutely not what they are good at. Please, keep them away from the Picard show.

xandaca

Pike's OK, but my issue with him is the same as with Discovery's version of Harry Mudd: while both characters are interesting and/or likeable enough on their own terms, they're so unlike the original versions of the characters that calling them by those names works only to their detriment. If Disco Pike or Disco Mudd had new names, they'd feel like the series making worthwhile - far from among the best, but better than a lot of what's been offered so far - additions to the Trek canon. As it is, not only is there the continued frustration of Discovery's tiresome overreliance on callbacks rather than having the courage to do its own thing (considering the name, the series has offered little new to discover so far), but that those callbacks are not just superficial, but in contradiction to what they're referencing.

TOS Pike was stern, a little haunted and jaded. Disco Pike speaks like Buffy ('fly good') and has the demeanour of a Cool Uncle. TOS Mudd was a jovial, flamboyant con-man who was more comic relief than fully-fledged villain. Disco Mudd, by contrast, is bitter and angry, his eccentricities seemingly more an expression of hateful derangement than an attempt to make himself likeable to marks through charisma and flamboyant charm. Disco Mudd is interesting enough, and his timeloop episode in S1 was among the best of that season - but he's absolutely nothing like Mudd, just as Disco Pike might be a decent palate cleanser captain after the intensity of Llorca - although Llorca was far more interesting, by far the most compelling original character Disco has produced so far - but he's just not Christopher Pike. Likewise, James Frain's Sarek is slightly off in both performance and writing, and I dread to think what they're going to do to Spock. A lot of people liked the first episode of S2 and hailed it as more Star Trek-y, although I continue to struggle to see anything remotely Trek-like in there, being passable enough as a generic big-budget sci-fi actioner, but barely even Trek in name alone.

Last edited:
I didn't mind Season 1 but the neck breaking scene was something you expect from a Horror Movie. :/

Hope to watch it soon as I did like Season 1's premise other than the darker elements and I am not exactly a Trekkie fan.

Yeah no, I call BS on what CBS is trying to spin there. If they are so confident in the success of their show, why don't they release the numbers? More importantly, why do they lump STD together with the AFC championship? They also forgot to mention that CBS is currently offering a 7 day free trial period.

This right there says it all really:

Specific numbers were not released.

Hmm, I wonder why. Might be that audience reception isn't so stellar, because this isn't a Trek show:

5fjFhn9.jpg

Here's to hoping that the Picard show will do better, but considering that Kurtzman has his grubby hands on that one too, I'm really not all that optimistic. How they give the reigns over one of the most beloved sci-fi franchises to the guy who wrote The Amazing Spider-Man 2, Transformers and The Mummy is just beyond me. It's such a shame, Star Trek is one of my favorite series, I want it to do good, but the abominable story telling is not what the show deserves. Discovery is all style over substance sadly.

Just to give another example, watch Pike and Burnham have a go at each other on the bridge before departing and then compare it to how this would have been handled in a real Trek show:

Last edited:

Robin64

Finally got round to watching the Short Treks, UK Netflix finally got them, and they were fabulous. Calypso in particular was a stand-out.

Re S2 episode 1, the engineer from the crashed ship is awesome. More please.

Kevin

Episode 2 is really really good for those interested. Felt more like traditional Star Trek while keeping the main story arc going. For those who are enjoying Star Trek: Discovery, I think you will be quite satisfied with episode 2. Good stuff!

Anyone else watch episode 2 yet? Thoughts?

Kevin

While I feel like this show is worth the cost of a CBS All-Access subscription, just like last season CBS has released the season premiere on Youtube for free:

For those in the fence, check it out and if you like what you see then do the right thing and legally support the show. :)

Ovek

7Member7
The new episode is by far the most “Star Trek” episode and best (funnily enough) episode of Discovery to date.

Rating: A - Excellent

Kevin

First Star Trek news has hit from the CBS press tour today. Patrick Stewart says the first season of his show is like a 10-hour movie. Says he hopes it gets picked up for more seasons. My guess is 10 episodes (probably not an actual hour each). Says it tells a singular story. He seems really excited about it. More details here:

https://trekmovie.com/2019/01/30/pa...rek-picard-series-will-be-like-10-hour-movie/

Apparently they are doing a Star Trek: Discovery themed episode of “Lets Make a Deal” which airs February 4th, clip in the link:

https://deadline.com/2019/01/star-trek-lets-make-a-deal-lmad-trekkies-cbs-team-up-1202545212/

A lot of new Discovery information. No pickup for a season 3 yet but they are hoping for one:

https://trekmovie.com/2019/01/30/st...overy-season-3-and-short-treks-at-winter-tca/

EDIT: New update from 1/31/19:

A new interview with Alex Kurtzman really suggesting that Discovery season 3 is almost certain and that Section 31 will air after Discovery season 3. The article is very positive and suggests that Discovery and Trek in general is not currently in danger of cancellation:

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/ustv/...le-yeoh-get-started-after-discovery-season-3/

Last edited:
Oh god, the third episode was some of the worst Trek I've ever seen. Severed baby heads, logical extremism, hurting Spock's fee-fees, Tilly being possessed by a spore ghost, tiny male brains, Klingon feminism... a hot mess of different nonsensical story-lines compressed into 50 minutes of pure cringe. They'll never be able to undo the damage that they are currently inflicting upon one of the most iconic characters in Trek history.

Just look at this:

6fm4zwU.jpg

Speaking of cringe...

Please, somebody make it stop.

Last edited:

Yoshi

What I found strange in Discovery was the depiction of Klingon intimacy. It looked very human and absolutely contrary to the rough impression given by previous Star Trek shows. Kneeling down, holding hands... I wonder what the people checking for canon compatibility do all day?

LordRaptor

Its really not Star Trek in anything other than thats the logo they slapped on it, but I watch it anyway because even half decent TV non-super-hero sci-fi is rare enough nowadays.

Like... its better than something like Killjoys I guess, but for the format its going for of 'arc based' rather than a more episodic structure, its crap compared to something like The Expanse or the BSG reboot.

Episode 3 was basically just housekeeping leftover stuff from series 1 AFAICS, as well as being a stealth pilot for the upcoming Michelle Yeoh spinoff, and I definitely wasn't glad to see the Klingons get the focus again, but it looked like this was a "okay, we're done with the fucking klingons for a while" episode, and I have no idea where Burnham is still penpals with Ash Tyler, although everytime he's on screen I get to amuse myself with the YES I CAN HEAR YOU CLEM FANDANGO joke.

Kenpachii

Thought the series was dead after the first season. LIked the start of it. when they axed the captain i couldn't even bother to read news on it anymore series was kinda dead to me.

Will check the episode out and see if its something.

Ovek

7Member7
What I found strange in Discovery was the depiction of Klingon intimacy. It looked very human and absolutely contrary to the rough impression given by previous Star Trek shows. Kneeling down, holding hands... I wonder what the people checking for canon compatibility do all day?

It was very weird, not even a little growl.

I wonder how long they will still use those ugly looking bat'leths and quietly replace them with ones that look like next gen versions.

Ovek

7Member7
Thought the series was dead after the first season. LIked the start of it. when they axed the captain i couldn't even bother to read news on it anymore series was kinda dead to me.

Will check the episode out and see if its something.

To be fair the new Captain Pike is pretty good and like this "reimagined" version, shame the scripts are a bit shit.

LordRaptor

I think people like Pike for pretty much the same reason people sorta liked Tilly in S1 (although shes quickly becoming a Wesley Crusher) - S1 was so soap opera melodramatic, her being a more classic there because she wanted to be kind of character made her likable compared to everyone else being so miserable.
They've lightened the tone a bit in S2, which is why she's kind of beginning to grate a bit with LOL RANDOM, FUCK YEAH SCIENCE, but Pike stands out as an enjoyable character because he seems confident and capable and what people expect from a 'traditional' Star Trek captain, which is kind of at odds with how everyone else seems to be just kind of winging it

Last edited:
I heard this show is the kind of politically correct show that apparently in the military of the far distant future they accept obese candidates and to not upset any one no fit per can out pace said obese person. :messenger_grinning_sweat::messenger_grinning_sweat::messenger_grinning_sweat: I imagine an effect where it looks like everyone else is running on treadmills?

Surely this can't be true, that sounds so dumb? :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Yoshi

I heard this show is the kind of politically correct show that apparently in the military of the far distant future they accept obese candidates and to not upset any one no fit per can out pace said obese person. :messenger_grinning_sweat::messenger_grinning_sweat::messenger_grinning_sweat: I imagine an effect where it looks like everyone else is running on treadmills?

Surely this can't be true, that sounds so dumb? :messenger_grinning_smiling:
Tilly is out of shape, but not obese, but yes, she won that half marathon. It was pretty silly.

That being said, and I have been complaining a lot about the series, but todays episode was, in my eyes, certainly the best of the series so far (the only thing that even came close was the Mudd episode). It touched on three big topics in sufficiently non-forced ways (euthanasia, religion / dogma as a device of power and refugees) and another one in a bit more hamfisted way, but considering its importance I can live with that (ecological sustainability). It was combined with a classical Star Trek theme (communication with an alien species), and characters other than Michael and Tilly were allowed to act in meaningful ways. So all around it was a good Star Trek episode. Of course, the science department still was lackluster (antibodies against a computer virus), but considering what I have been through with the series so far, I can easily forgive this for what was otherwise a solid, good even, Star Trek episode.

Ovek

7Member7
For the second time this season they have gone back to classic Star Trek tropes and shock of all shocks it resulted in quite a good episode.

xandaca

E4 was decent. If it were any other Trek series, perhaps bar Enterprise, it would be absolutely bog-standard, but for Discovery it was one of the better outings, if not as good as E2. I wonder if the showrunners are making another Trek reference by only having even numbered episodes be worthwhile (although I actually love TMP). It played with classic Trek tropes and had a theme, even if neither had much depth to them, and Reno's bickering with Stamets was fun, and the translator malfunction was a nice idea. The Saru plotline was both undercooked and got ridiculously melodramatic at the end, but Doug Jones and Sonequa Martin-Green played it strongly. Overall, a 6/10 episode with plenty of room for improvement, but a step up over last week's season (maybe even series) low.

LordRaptor

I don't know why I'm annoyed by their DISCO T-shirts, because it seems like a thing they made to give out to the film crew and wear out and about without saying "I'm a trekkie" than a thing that would be handed out as uniform to people serving aboard the discovery.
I'm glad they didn't end up killing off Saru, because he's one of the better characters.

Yoshi

I don't know why I'm annoyed by their DISCO T-shirts, because it seems like a thing they made to give out to the film crew and wear out and about without saying "I'm a trekkie" than a thing that would be handed out as uniform to people serving aboard the discovery.
I'm glad they didn't end up killing off Saru, because he's one of the better characters.
I do not think it is a uniform, it is just casual wear themed by the ship they are on. I think it is meant to indicate that the people serving on the ship ove their jobs. I find it a bit strange because no other Star Trek series had such merchandise on display, but considering the severe issues I have with most of the writing, I can easily tolerate this detail.

Agreed on Saru. Also looking forward to maybe one or even two episodes of not being bothered by Tilly all the time.

LordRaptor

I find it a bit strange because no other Star Trek series had such merchandise on display

Yeah, thats why it bugs me - it looks like merchandise, and merchandise for people in the 21st century who would be kinda embarassed to wear a starfleet logo, but can happily wear something saying DISCO because disco has an alternative and more widespread meaning today. Like... did the T-shirt printer charge by the letter, and starfleet didn't want to pay out for more than 5 chars?

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Something that bugs me no end about this show...

It’s picture quality.

Now, I don’t know what’s going on. I have a C7 65”, and everything looks amazing. But this...? It looks so low quality, almost like in constantly waiting for the stream to kick into HD. The “noise” pixels are twice as large as anything else. I seem to notice this a lot with Dolby atmos for some reason? But it’s calibrated and set up when Dolby atmos is active...

It just looks terrible.

The show itself is fantastic, and I never miss an episode. But man... is this a common issue with the show? With atmos? Am I alone here? :(

Edit: I meant Dolby vision, not atmos, lol.

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
This sounds terrible. I refuse to watch the show, but reading a plot synopsis once a month or so has fully convinced me that my one-time fondest dream, the TNG reboot with Picard, will likewise be nothing but a demolition of everything Star Trek stands for, all in the name of halfway chasing elusive general audiences and halfway chasing after misguided progressive tropes.

Yoshi

It's finally over. Episode 13 is the most boring piece of Star Trek I have ever seen, episode 12 and 14 were also bad, but not that boring. I am so glad this story arc is over. I would hope they fire each and every writer before writing season 3 though, what a load of yap.

Top Bottom