• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield has lost 97% of its Steam players in less than six months.

EDMIX

While I agree Starfield is not deserving of an 83, it's at least not 90+. Some games, like Tears of the Kingdom, did not deserve 90+. It's a low 80s at best. I'm more bothered by ToTK's high score (#2 on Metacritic for 2023, where I wouldn't personally put this in my top 10) than Starfield's low 80s (which ranks #74 overall for the year).

Agreed and nothing wrong with that either btw, not everything is going to be 90+

Yonyx

Banned
Position 223 right now:

SIeIkFf.jpeg

JackMcGunns

Does anyone know the stats of Fallout before the series on Prime?

Starfield is a massive sandbox with incredible potential. The people believing it's over for Starfield should be bookmarked for a future laughing stock.

SoloCamo

Starfield is a massive sandbox with incredible potential. The people believing it's over for Starfield should be bookmarked for a future laughing stock.

Exactly, I played it at launch and see the clear potential. I'll pick it up in a few months time as I have it on Gamepass now to dabble with.

Exactly, I played it at launch and see the clear potential. I'll pick it up in a few months time as I have it on Gamepass now to dabble with.
It has potential but in today's market, from a studio of that pedigree, with as much hype behind it as it had, "having potential" should be considered a failure for the game. It shouldn't "have potential", it should have lived up to that potential.

SoloCamo

It has potential but in today's market, from a studio of that pedigree, with as much hype behind it as it had, "having potential" should be considered a failure for the game. It shouldn't "have potential", it should have lived up to that potential.

And it's sales and reputation suffered for it. That doesn't mean that it can't be turned around. Only hurts them in the end when I buy it for a quarter of the launch price and end up with the better game after they get it to where it needed to be (or when enough mods fix it's failures). I'm in no rush with single player games as it's not like in multiplayer where servers are dead once people move on. Win-win for me... I save money and I get a proper game.

Last edited:

Zheph

And it's sales and reputation suffered for it. That doesn't mean that it can't be turned around. Only hurts them in the end when I buy it for a quarter of the launch price and end up with the better game after they get it to where it needed to be (or when enough mods fix it's failures). I'm in no rush with single player games as it's not like in multiplayer where servers are dead once people move on. Win-win for me... I save money and I get a proper game.
a lot of modders have also moved on, its not as flexible as their previous games. Let's see what they cook for their DLC but it won't follow fallout/skyrim trajectory

Starfield doesn’t have any of the cool lore that Fallout has.

It’s as generic as they come. I don’t think it’s fixable and Bethesda doesn’t have the resources to fix it when their time is better suited on other more popular IP like elders scrolls and fallout

Last edited:

JackMcGunns

It’s as generic as they come. I don’t it’s fixable and Bethesda doesn’t have the resources to fix it when their time is better suited on other more popular IP like elders scrolls and fallout

First for the list of shame.

Who's next? lol

SoloCamo

It’s as generic as they come. I don’t it’s fixable and Bethesda doesn’t have the resources to fix it when their time is better suited on other more popular IP like elders scrolls and fallout

It has plenty of lore but it's also the first entry into the series. They've established a baseline to add onto.

Last edited:

Yonyx

Banned
Lots of great games around it by the way. Cell to singularity is a great mobile game and magic is played IRL by millions of players.
They are games much older than Starfield. It's not normal for Starfield to have such meager numbers when it's still in its first year. It's not normal for Fallout 4 or New Vegas to have had better numbers already, with a decade more behind them (they surpassed Starfield months ago BEFORE the series fever).

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
They are games much older than Starfield. It's not normal for Starfield to have such meager numbers when it's still in its first year. It's not normal for Fallout 4 or New Vegas to have had better numbers already, with a decade more behind them (they surpassed Starfield months ago BEFORE the series fever).
I understand that. I just found it funny that even as being that low Starfield was with great games and choose to focus on that instead of their numbers. There is another thread about Starfield, that one was about it steam rewiews score that got 1 point lower since the last time it have been updated. For me, I follow that one more than the numbers of players because I care more about if I can have fun than seeking if more people think like me or not. Don't get me wrong I will seek validation like any other person for things I like but outside of some schadenfreude I don't really like doing it the other way.

That's my problem with current Bethesda games. They aren't about story or characters they're sandbox theme parks.

Fallout 4 wanted so desperately to be Minecraft.

Top Bottom