• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starting today, Facebook will step up efforts to crack down on Fake News

Status
Not open for further replies.
If there's any kind of journalistic integrity there, it could work. You could obviously counter-act trolling by whitelisting reputable sites... but what happens if stuff like Breitbart is whitelisted? Then there's no point.

Acosta

I can't wait to see millions of people claiming New York Times features are "fake".

I have zero faith on this as it´s automated and every automatism can be abused. But let's wait and see I guess.

Arkeband

Banned
There will have to be some tertiary system to identify accounts and IP addresses that submit bogus reports. Make it so only accounts that are at least 30 days old or so can use the feature, etc.

NastyBook

Too late. The assholes that should've been stopped will now be setting up shop in the White House. Get fucked, Facebook.

marrec

Banned
Does this mean alt-right trolls and Russian web brigades will spend all day marking factual news as fake?

Or they'll spend all day posting AND marking fake news to overload the system with their requests and make sure actual fake news slips through the cracks.

Depends on the quality control Facebook has, if it's FIFO or LILO.

BriGuy

Labeling fake news as "disputed" isn't good enough. That suggests it could be right, it could be wrong. That shit needs to be stamped with a giant red FAKE NEWS banner and a troll face for good measure.

Well now they are a news publication since they now employ fact checkers. I wonder if those 'fact checkers' are going to be using the new extension that supposedly flags links as bs. I saw a thread on it a day or so ago.

Funny. Way to go Facebook? What about twitter? They are just as culpable.

NandoGip

Hopefully you can report more than just linked sites.. I'm sick of seeing this 5 times a day in my feeds
sub-buzz-4402-1469115618-1.jpg

Damn it. I wish this one was real.

I doubt this will be forceful enough to have any real impact. That, and the fuckers who spread this news and believe it will simply start painting Facebook as part of their shitty conspiracy and continue their persecution complex.

Time will tell but I don't have any faith in FB doing anything more than a token effort.

Does this mean alt-right trolls and Russian web brigades will spend all day marking factual news as fake?

There's actually a super easy way to solve this. If someone marks a clearly real story, from a clearly reputable source, simply have the automated system auto ignore all their markings. Don't tell them this. Let them waste their time flagging. Just let the system auto ignore them. Only idiots will mark certain stories as fake. Oh yeah, and the account must be older than a period of time, like say, three months. before they have the ability to mark stories.

Grym

LOL. I'm going through one of my "friend"'s posts and reporting nearly every post as fake. Because they are. The people who spread this shit are just tireless

I know of lots of Jill Stein supporters who are going to tag every WaPo and NYT article as fake because they genuinely believe that shit, and will clog this thing up something chronic.

It's an admirable effort, but the amount of noise is going to be insane.

Ban all news, if users want to read news then go buy a newspaper or watch your local news channel. Categorize it as copyright material and if you want it go to the source. Social media is nothing but a cesspool of information it's time to put things back in their place.

bomma_man

The internet Brownshits are gonna fuck with this yesterday.

Are they going to reinstate human curated trending articles? Remember when they capitulated over that?

jelly

Shock therapy included wouldn't even work which is sure a thing as lie detector tests and hair strand DNA.

Nafai1123

Banned
Why dont they implement that open source software those kids developed? Seems much easier and more reliable than relying on crowd sourcing and manual fact checking.

digdug2k

I know of lots of Jill Stein supporters who are going to tag every WaPo and NYT article as fake because they genuinely believe that shit, and will clog this thing up something chronic.

It's an admirable effort, but the amount of noise is going to be insane.
Meh. If they're just checking domains, the algorithm can toss them out before they ever hit people.

Cipherr

I am of the Fuck Zuckerberg mentality.

Sure, now that there's a shitload of blowback, here he (and likely soon Google) are to finally address this bullshit, but prior to this they didn't give a shit.

And just looking at the domains isn't nearly enough. Raw ass lies and make believe should be tagged regardless of its domain name. Not getting a pat on the back from me for finally addressing the shit after a nation elects a fucking mad man. I won't do the "too little to late" thing because that's obviously not true... but... still not giving them an attaboy for this shit.

The topic needs more attention.

Facebook needs its feet held to the fire.

I'm encouraged that they are not just resorting to a stupid "AI", but are trying a multi-pronged attack and I'm more encouraged by the bitching already out there on the shitty sites that have benefitted so much from hiding their opinion pieces as news. They're immediately blaming Snopes (and reality) for having a left wing bias.

One interesting thing is they are going to penalise news that is shared but not read. It is a signal that the headline is just a trigger. Although if The_Donald and 4chan figure out the signals they'll subvert them. Of course.

I really despise fake news and its concept. I often bring up the outrages that Trump has brought forward with my Dad, and often get "he couldn't be that stupid, that has to be fake news."

Joni

Facebook gets critized because they curate news and made sure stuff like Breitbart didn't get in the trending news section --> Facebook stops curating news --> Facebook gets critized because they don't curate news anymore which allows the stuff people share to trend --> Facebook starts curating news again --> ...
Somewhere Mark Zuckerberg is running in circles. If the internet didn't get outraged half a year ago, we could have avoided a lot of problems.

SRG01

I fully expect them to have updated whitelists and blacklists so they aren't inundated with repeated requests...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom