• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Deck convinced me that I‘ll be switching to PC

dcx4610

Price wise, it's a pretty bad time to build a PC but other than that, it's the best time to play games than ever. Easier than ever, games themselves are cheap and you don't really run into bugs or crashes like the early 2000s. You do get the occasional dud port but they are usually patched and fixed quickly.

Consoles are hard to beat with ease of use and price but PC is way more rewarding. Plus, it's not just for gaming. It really can be your go-to box for all things entertainment.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Steam deck is fully console experience in your hands, if they can figure out battery life, and have smart features like projection so you don’t have to play on a small screen it’ll just be like an iPhone.

The difference is that PC makes those issues way more palatable because it can do so much more. Mods, Indy games that will never come to console, mouse and keyboard support, simpler internet browsing, simpler in game chat, and now Steam Deck allows you to take your library on the go. Did I mention mods? God I love mods.
So where does the Deck come into play here? Surely people aren’t browsing the net on the Deck or connecting a mouse and keyboard to it. Mods on PC are good I guess but does it make the constant issues on PC palatable?

DavidGzz

So where does the Deck come into play here? Surely people aren’t browsing the net on the Deck or connecting a mouse and keyboard to it. Mods on PC are good I guess but does it make the constant issues on PC palatable?

The deck alone? No, but also if a game is Deck verified there are no issues. PC+Steam Deck though, is amazing.

EekTheKat

Steam Deck is still the mobile device I drift towards when I go out.

The Deck has a desktop mode, which allows it to do pretty much quite a lot of things a pc can do. Bit rougher around the edges compared to Windows but functional.

TouchPads are a godsend for a device like this. They're mappable to virtual menus that allows you to customize a bank of buttons to your preference. Entire numpads can be mapped to it for example.

Gyro aiming feels pretty good to make small corrections when aiming.

Been experimenting with Flick Stick as a config on Steam Deck with some good results so far. Combine that with gyro aiming and It's a new play style vs the standard dual stick setup common in a lot of shooters. With the benefit of quick turns and steadier aiming.

The downside - kernel level anticheats are an issue on a device like this.

Steam's rating of whether or not a game is playable is more of a rough guideline these days. Some games listed as playable could absolutely tank in performance, while some unlisted games can play fine out of the box.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Steam deck is fully console experience in your hands, if they can figure out battery life, and have smart features like projection so you don’t have to play on a small screen it’ll just be like an iPhone.
I appreciate the 3 hour cap because my neck starts to hurt lol.

Price wise, it's a pretty bad time to build a PC but other than that, it's the best time to play games than ever. Easier than ever, games themselves are cheap and you don't really run into bugs or crashes like the early 2000s. You do get the occasional dud port but they are usually patched and fixed quickly.

Consoles are hard to beat with ease of use and price but PC is way more rewarding. Plus, it's not just for gaming. It really can be your go-to box for all things entertainment.
Price wise it's fine. It's not 2020. CPU wise PCs run circles around consoles even in 2020 when they launched, the problem is consoles use Zen 2 which never was particularly great at gaming even in 2019 when it launched. A budget PC with an ol Ryzen 5600 demolishes consoles, an 8 year old 6700k can outperform them so yea.

GPU wise any ada card in a gaming PC beats the consoles in pretty much every metric including raster. Back in 2020 when the consoles were first announced you needed a 2070 to match their performance, that was a $500 card. These days even a $280 4060 handily outpaces the consoles and that's not counting RT which the consoles couldn't even beat a 5 year old 2060 at nor AI (DLSS/Ray Reconstruction), DLSS3 frame generation which the consoles can't do period. And finally Path Tracing which Ada excels at (check out DF running path traced Cyberpunk on a 4060, Nvidia tech is astonishing.

It's a good time to buy a PC specially with the 40 series Super cards on the way.

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Let me begin by stating that I‘ve been a console gamer throughout my entire life. My first contact with games was on the original gameboy, followed by gameboy pocket. Sure, my dad had some experimental DOS games on his computer back in the days of Windows 95, but nothing that really hooked me to the desk. It was in summer of 97 when I borrowed a Nintendo 64 with OoT and Mario64 from a friend who happened to have it twice (richkid…). Soon after our parents decided to gift us one for christmas with the same games, Mario and Zelda OoT, and my brother and me became instantly addicted to it.

It was followed by a Playstation one, followed by Gamecube which I bought from my own money. PS2, Xbox360, PS3, Wii, Gameboy Advance, DS, PSP, PS4, Switch, XSX and PS5, I had almost every console and lost many many hours in the hobby. But I’ve not once looked over to PC gaming and certainly never missed something. After all, the great exclusive games are always on consoles and chilling on the couch with a controller in my hands in front of a huge OLED in a tiny one room apartment, that’s what gaming is. Or so I thought.

The older I get, the more money and less time I have, but I still manage to play a few hours every week, after all it‘s a passion even though I rarely finish the games I buy.

Earlier this year I bought a Steam Deck which changed a few of my beliefs. Suddenly, PC games are comfortable with the Deck on the Couch. And I can stream my PS5 games on it. And I can play all the available games on Xbox Cloud gaming. And I can play almost all of my classic games on it through emulation. It just plays everything. And I have games on it, which are horribly to play on consoles, but there‘s always a workaround available on the Deck (for example just connect a mouse/keyboard to it to play strategy games or connect the Steam Deck with the TV if you want to play on a big screen or if the Decks graphics aren‘t enough, subscribe to geforce now and you‘ll have better graphics than on modern consoles). The Steam Deck made it very easy to be introduced to modern PC gaming.

Meanwhile, consoles are not the easy to go solution for my gaming needs anymore. The fact that both consoles, PS5 and XSX are basically always online DRM machines, a decision for which XBox One was lynched a few years ago, doesn‘t bother me. It‘s day 1 patches, games that are unplayable if you don‘t have a day one patch (looking at you CoD!!!), constant updates, half finished games, the obligatory accounts that you need for almost all publishers if you want to play their games (ubisoft, ea, epic, bethesda, all of them require to have an account for their games), the installation process if you buy a game on disc et cetera. And then there‘s graphic settings for every game today. Top that off with way worse graphics compared to a PC, after just 3 years of the current gen being on the market and there‘s not much left of what once was a big benefit of consoles.

All of that happened while PC became more user friendly. Most games these days already offer controller support on release date. With Steam it‘s super easy to install games. And it‘s not even that difficult anymore to build a gaming PC because configurators tell you which parts of a PC are compatible. Oh and I forgot, exclusive games aren‘t really exclusive anymore, thanks to Sony.

It seems like consoles lost all their benefits, while PC gaming lost all disadvantages. Even when we compare the costs, with an XSX, PS5 (two already, the first one was noisy) and three switches I already bought (lite, normal one and OLED), with controllers, SSD upgrades, cables, the higher price of games, the online subscriptions, accessories like a loading station for both PS5 controllers etc. Everything accumulated I could‘ve also bought a really nice PC gaming setup with a gtx4090, connect it to the huge TV and be able to play everything with just one box. That‘s why I think

tl;dr, console gaming got worse over the past few years, PC gaming improved over the past few years, that’s why I‘ll be switching sides.
Yes Im almost on the same boat... money was never an issue but I preferred the easiness of console gaming and I always loved sony first party games, unfortunately Sonys first party are taking a turn to the worse in writing and creative choices I dont agree with and furthermore all their games now are becoming avaible on PC, so justifying console gaming for me is becoming more and more difficult, after tasting 60 fps I just cant go back to 30 fps and 500 machines are not enough to sustain quality gaming at 60 fps for all titles and never will be.

Im holding out untill the next generation...but ps5 pro might well be my last console

Last edited:
kDrqwqn.gif

I just configured my new Steam Deck Oled, upgraded to a 2tb SSD, put in a 1tb micro SD and am currently downloading a shitton of games. I love how the colors pop on this one although I really hate setting up all the emulators again and get that thing running like the last one. But it‘s totally worth it, at least to keep me busy until the new generation of graphics cards arrives.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I just configured my new Steam Deck Oled, upgraded to a 2tb SSD, put in a 1tb micro SD and am currently downloading a shitton of games. I love how the colors pop on this one although I really hate setting up all the emulators again and get that thing running like the last one. But it‘s totally worth it, at least to keep me busy until the new generation of graphics cards arrives.
You could've copied the content of the first SSD to the other one... Just like your micro sd(that's what I did)
As for the emulator are you using emudeck ?It makes it so easy

_Justinian_

Gold Member
Welcome to PC gaming. We have cookies.

I want to sell my old Steam Deck and eventually buy an OLED one. I wonder if there is market for people buying the old version used?

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

I can relate OP. Been a console gamer all my life but since I got my hands on a ROG Ally I've been dipping my toes in PC gaming. And I like it for the most part. I'm still learning and dome things can be frustrating, a lot of troubleshooting, but when it works it's pretty damn great.

I love the open nature of the platform, emulation is a bliss, great BC, mods that can enhance your game and the free online. PC gaming has a lot of advantages over the closed eco systems. You can connect multiple controllers and peripherals, such as headphones and keyboard. You can watch movies or multitask with different apps. GoG and Steam offer far better prices on games, better discounts, way better support and refunding (looking at you Sony) and have an overall better site/community and features.

I do still love consoles for their plug and play and ease of use. I buy most games there because I know most of them are optimized and doesn't require a lot of tinkering or suffer from stutter or other issues. But I can definitely see myself spending more and more time with PC gaming. A lot of streamlining has been done over the years and most of it are as easy as on consoles.

Mortisfacio

Welcome to PC gaming. We have cookies.

I want to sell my old Steam Deck and eventually buy an OLED one. I wonder if there is market for people buying the old version used?

Would assume so. Niche, but would assume exists in some capacity. Personally i was on the fence of a steam deck, but my brother upgraded to the OLED and just gave me his. I love it.

Kokoloko85

Enjoy.

Can you play emulators with mods on the steam deck. Like N64 and 3DS?

If so Im gonna get a Steamdeck 2. That will be my future PC as mine is currently just used for older games.

But Im also gonna have a PS5 Pro and Switch 2.
50-70%+ of the games I play are 1st party PS and Nintendo games, so not gonna give that up. They too good

DeVeAn

Good for you but, I have a great time with my Series X on a big screen. Got a steam deck for emulators. I just don’t like to play games unless I’m home in front of my TV ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

welshrat

Deck with ps5 is amazing. Even playing the 30fps games that I hate on ps5 via remote play on the deck is great

Last edited:

lachesis

Right now I am on similar boat. Most games that I am interested - Japanese games (Mostly Falcom/Sega/Capcom) are readily available or often get released simultaneously on PC/Steam with my native language support - I find myself not turning on PS5 and XSX often.

Nintendo is another matter that they have unique titles that I want to play and support- but PC covers most of high-end games for both PS5 and XSX - that I am building a decent gaming PC, and also have a Steam Deck - I can definitely see myself consolidating to PC/Steam Deck with Nintendo as only other platform.

“All roads lead to Rome” sounds kinda fitting to PC. All games eventually come to PC - one way or another. Natively or other ways like emulation or even streaming.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
My oled deck is getting tons of use, it's definately moving me more pc generally. But I love the plug and play nature of consoles still, not quite ready to make the full plunge.....but close........then I read David B's post and it reminds me why I haven't.

Last edited:
I'm leaning the same way. I do feel consoles are becoming more like limited PCs. They don't have any charm or unique qualities anymore. They're just kind of shit. During the 360/PS3/Wii generation, I started moving away from PC. The Steam Deck is reminding me why I loved PC gaming in the first place. I love the openess of it. From control options like joypads to fight sticks to mouse keyboard. I can use what I want. Modding games whether it be allowing older titles to run better or custom skins. Games just looking and performing better overall than the console counter parts. The huge library of games that aren't limited to "generations". From now on, I most likely won't be buying any new consoles.

Filben

Can you play emulators with mods on the steam deck. Like N64 and 3DS?
Yes.

Everything before PS2 era works like a charm, with excellent performance, low power consumption and near perfect compatibility and you can really see it as a replacement device, so good is emulation at this point. PS2 era games run okay or even good in general, but there are some games that need a bit of tinkering and/or doesn't offer the performance of older games or increase the battery drain of the Deck. 3DS via Citra is generally okay but can be a bit wonky at times, depending on the game. Even many PS3 game work, but how well is really game-dependent; you either get good to okay performance, or a stutter fest with high CPU load and a loud fan blowing your ears off.

DaGwaphics

PC platform is not perfect, but it definitely offers a multitude of options over other offerings.

Obligatory: WELCOME TO THE GLORIOUS PC GAMING MASTER RACE! (joking)

pc-master-race.jpg

Well, now I think when the poster is saying they found their way to PC via the Steam Deck, the graphic needs an even smaller, dirtier peasant to represent the Deck.

Chastten

Banned
There's just always something holding me back when it comes to ease of use with PC-gaming. Either it's iffy dual monitor support, controller support, graphics settings acting up. There's always that little something that makes me go 'right, time to go back to gaming on Switch'.

I hate it, because I actually have a pretty capable PC able of running most games at 1440/60 without much issues. The Xbox controllers I have for it are just as comfy as my Switch Pro controllers. And I have countless games waiting for me to play. There's just always something holding me back because 'ease of use' is my number one priority when it comes to gaming.

This week I'm gonna give it another go with Palworld and Granblue Fantasy Relink, so we'll see how those perform on PC.

Hugare

Steam Deck is great, but laughably big and with poor battery life

A much smaller SD with better battery life would be the GOAT device

That's pretty much what I got with my Odin 2. I've been loving it. Qualcomm is presumably making a translation layer for Windows, and some emulators like Winlator, Exagear and Mobox are evolving fast, so maybe it will become the GOAT that I'm hoping for.

Hohenheim

I never picked a "side", thankfully.
I just enjoy gaming.
That being said, about 90% of my gaming is being done on my PC. Nintendo for their exclusives, Playstation for (some) of theirs.

PC for everything else, and the two-punch combo of my desktop and my Legion Go have made it even better.
Like last night, played some "Like a Dragon" on my desktop and then a few hours on the same game on the Legion Go after gettin to bed.

As for the modern consoles, they've definitly turned into low speced PC's without most of the benefits of actual PC's.
I loved the old consoles, when everyone had its own character and felt unique. Those days are definitly gone, except for Nintendo- who still manage to get that old skool console vibe.

Kokoloko85

Yes.

Everything before PS2 era works like a charm, with excellent performance, low power consumption and near perfect compatibility and you can really see it as a replacement device, so good is emulation at this point. PS2 era games run okay or even good in general, but there are some games that need a bit of tinkering and/or doesn't offer the performance of older games or increase the battery drain of the Deck. 3DS via Citra is generally okay but can be a bit wonky at times, depending on the game. Even many PS3 game work, but how well is really game-dependent; you either get good to okay performance, or a stutter fest with high CPU load and a loud fan blowing your ears off.
Nice.
Im sure Steamdeck 2 will be even better

Cyberpunkd

Steam Deck is great, but laughably big and with poor battery life
That’s why you get a dock for it - you put it in when not playing, battery problem solved.
Given how little I play on the PS5 and how much on Switch next gen is probably SD + Switch 2.

Jesb

Deck is not as available as consoles are though. I can go to many stores to buy a ps5. Can’t do that for the deck. Can’t go anywhere to go buy one.

KiteGr

I'm also in the process of transitioning to PC, but in my case there are a lot of factors.
  • I stayed on consoles because they still had physical games, but they make it harder and harder to find them, and they can barely be called "physical" anymore, requiring patches, subscriptions and overpriced DLC to play properly. If I'm going to end up with a digital library, it might as well be on steam, which leads me to my second point...
  • Most consoles treat their backwards compatibility very badly. They often try to re-sell you your games, point you to your older consoles, miss cult and obscure titles a vintage player would want to play, and are overpriced. On PC you can get access to all games, eventually even the incompatible ones with workarounds and emulators.
  • Consoles have to abide by a ton of content restrictions. Games get censored when ported, before during and after their release. On PC and Emulators you can mod that junk out, and the platform it self (Steam included) allows everything, including straight up porn games.
  • The vintage library is full of games that never left Japan. On PC fans can do what publishers didn't and fan translate them.
  • While PCs are more expensive, the games are always much cheaper. The Steam sales are famous (and infamous) for being fantastic, and if you dare to buy from key sites, the prices are even better.
  • Then there is the Steam Deck and the fantastic Steam interface, bringing the full console experience to the palm of your hand better than most consoles.
  • Finally, there is the recent increase subscription cost on PSplus. I only had essential just to play the occasional online game, not caring about the "free" (hostage) digital games it gives. The increase in price was the cherry on top to finally give up on consoles.

My only worry with PC is Gabe's own mortality.
The guy built it's empire by putting the player first and single handedly saving the whole PC platform multiple times by offering services better than Piracy.
Once he's gone for whatever reason, I doubt whatever turtle-neck takes over will run the company with the same ideals.

Last edited:

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
OIP.zLQk5rTN9FMRvLn2csmGDQAAAA

I play so much console (PS5 and Switch) exclusives that PC only would never be an option. Also not a fan of playing PC on a TV. But if you only play stuff that come out on all platforms, it might be an option for sure.

Top Bottom