• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stephen Totilo: Sega's plans include the hope it'll be used "as a weapon" by platform holders

nial

Gold Member
Basically translates to "Microsoft is desperate for Japanese content and so will pay handsomely for marketing deals, while Sony and Nintendo are fighting for JRPGs so we might get some timed exclusivity contracts"
It could be actual collaborations, I think. You've had F-Zero GX for Nintendo and this SEGA-developed first-party Sony game in the past.
fIYQ04f.jpeg

What if....

Sega actually offered themselves to MS as an acquisition target, and MS actually looked at Sega's value and were like 'LOL no'?

That would explain the Wednesday rumor meme from awhile back

Woopah

It could be actual collaborations, I think. You've had F-Zero GX for Nintendo and this SEGA-developed first-party Sony game in the past.
fIYQ04f.jpeg
Potentially that too, but I wouldn't say that is leveraging Sega's "brand". It would be more like leveraging their development resources.

whyman

Yeah, makes sense. I actually have come around to someday it men’s the most sense to have Sega be acquired by Apple or Nintendo.

And for the price, I think Sega is one of the most attractive companies to acquire. Sonic, yakuza, football manger, Total War, Persona, SMT, etc, not even mentioning the legacy titles. Sega offers a full range of diversity of gaming that only Nintendo can offer currently.

A acquisition would solve both companies software issues on multiple levels.

Likely, Sega currently looking at the situation where their games can go temporarily exclusive to the highest bidder.
So. Sony should buy them you say…

Interesting.

It's insane that Sega fans don't join me, let's make a team of 50, 100 profiles and make joint posts on a day stipulated by us at X demanding that Sega return, it has the small games that MS wants and the best To use these games is Sega itself, I want 50 of us for this purpose by the 13/5 to do this act together.

Let's stop letting chance have control and let's make history happen ourselves.
I dismiss negative people, fans of other consoles and regular haters, also the so-called Sega fans who agree with the haters' narrative and replicate their speeches.

Only the True Fan understands my words and needs to know that strength is in the will, in action.

Last edited:
I do think Nintendo wants SMT and Persona on their platform, but not enough to buy a whole publisher.

They'd have to spend money on buying all the PC teams and franchises, Rovio, the whole panchinko machine and all the other stuff they don't have much interest in. Plus the Like A Dragon team don't see themselves as Nintendo people, so they might very well quit.

Perhaps a better move would be for Nintendo to try and only buy the Atlus part.

As an aside, I think Nintendo is making the right moves to keep the Switch 2 first party lineup similar to Switch 1. But I guess we'll see.

The more I think about it, the more I think you are right. I guess this is mostly about marketing deals.

That's one solution!
I don’t think anyone would acquire the Sammy side of Sega. I think it would have to divest itself and just be a game maker again, and possibly movies, etc. With the IP.

Then those IP would be very lucrative for say $5B-$8B. I would think Sonic alone would be worth at least a 3rd to half of that price.

Then you get into the legacy content. Which is ripe for being updated and reimagined. De-Cap Attack, Phantasy Star, Virtua Fighter, Crazy Taxi, Golden Axe, Kid Chameleon, aside from Persona, SMT, Sonic, etc. Then there are obscure titles like Shining Force, Virtual On, Jet Set, Daytona Racing, Sega Rally, Nights, Sega Bass Fishing, etc. that could be reimagined.

Top Bottom