• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steven DeKnight Has Talked To Sony About An R-Rated God of War Movie.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Pacific Rim Uprising director and Daredevil Season One showrunner Steven DeKnight wants to see a God of War movie come to life, whcih lead him to talking with Sony about a concept for an R-Rated adaptation of the video game.

"I would love to see it," DeKnight said. "Somebody had asked me about video games and I've always been a fan of God of War. I think the latest game was just so beautiful and phenomenal. I would love to tackle God of War movie or I would love to see somebody put that up on the big screen. Somebody asked me, 'Well, who would you have to have Kratos?' And immediately for me: Dave Batista would be the man. I think he can do anything. You can do drama, real emotion, humor, action. What would I like to see from a movie like that? A bit of a tricky question because there hasn't really been 100% success of translating a video game to a movie. It's a very, very tricky process."

"I had some early conversations with the good people at Sony PlayStation about it and my biggest thing is, look, you gotta approach it like a book," DeKnight said. "Approach it like adapting Jaws. For people who've read Jaws, the movie is very different but they're both fantastic. So you have to be able to take the source material and make it work as a movie. And I think that's part of the reason oftentimes video game movies don't work is because you can't translate the video game experience into a movie. You gotta take the characters and the situations and the emotions and make it work for a movie. Which means a lot of times you've got to change things, which is very dicey obviously because you don't want alienate video game fans, but you have to make a film that works within the context of a movie by itself. Very difficult. I would love to tackle it, I have no idea if that's going to happen. I'm not in any kind of conversations right now, but hopefully somebody will make a movie out of that franchise. I think it's a phenomenal franchise."

"It's funny because when I sat down with the Sony PlayStation people, one of the first things we both said is R-rated because I always use the original Conan the Barbarian as my touchstone, that it needs to be R-rated," DeKnight said. "I don't think there's a way to tell that story and make it PG, nor should it be. And thankfully because of Deadpool, people are much more willing to try that R-rated there with genre work now, again. So, yeah, without a doubt R-rated. I mean not on as far as Spartacus, that was more NC-17, but definitely R-rated."

The games are already cinematic for me, personally. I don't think a film or show will do justice to the source material better than a video game in the case of Greek Mythology.

Enjay

Banned
No one get your hopes up. They'll never do this. Would love to be wrong but that's just how it is.

bitbydeath

And I think that's part of the reason oftentimes video game movies don't work is because you can't translate the video game experience into a movie. You gotta take the characters and the situations and the emotions and make it work for a movie.

This is complete bullshit and the exact reason why these adaptations always fail. Just re-create the exact story, make additions if you need to make up for time.

How have they not learned?
Game of Thrones is a perfect example of this.

Never understood why everyone and their mom wants movies now based of PS exclusives. Uncharted, God of War and TLOU are already like cinematic films themselves but a lot more interactive and fun.

Fuck the Hollywood and fuck game to movie adaptions. Stay the fuck away from these games and get your greedy shitty hands off masterpieces you insufferable Hollywood pricks.

It's been seen, proven. time and time again that movie adaptations of video game properties have little to do with the source material. that's why they fail or are blasted in reviews because of the liberties taken with the story, characters and events at place.

Roberts

It's been seen, proven. time and time again that movie adaptations of video game properties have little to do with the source material. that's why they fail or are blasted in reviews because of the liberties taken with the story, characters and events at place.

I would say it is because they are made either by bad filmmakers or by filmmakers who don't understand what makes these games work. As long as somebody captures the spirit of the game, they can take whatever liberties they need to make a good movie (the same goes for book adaptations - some of the best ones often have so little to do with original text). There are some exceptions. Duncan Jones is a very talented filmmaker and obviously a gamer who put a lot of his heart in Warcraft, but it didn't work, because they made a lot unfortunate choice in casting and overall design of the thing.

I would say it is because they are made either by bad filmmakers or by filmmakers who don't understand what makes these games work. As long as somebody captures the spirit of the game, they can take whatever liberties they need to make a good movie (the same goes for book adaptations - some of the best ones often have so little to do with original text). There are some exceptions. Duncan Jones is a very talented filmmaker and obviously a gamer who put a lot of his heart in Warcraft, but it didn't work, because they made a lot unfortunate choice in casting and overall design of the thing.

Kinda agree, at the end of the day it all comes down to a good script. unfortunately there is some video games falling prey to this. doom comes to mind, as well as the uwe boll shit show of adaptions. i think it's kinda clever of sony to allow people who are much closer to their ips to develop and write these scripts. rather than letting a Hollywood writer go at it with a meat cleaver and laptop. but this guy? I'm sorry he's just not right for the god of war property imo.

Roberts

I'm sorry he's just not right for the god of war property imo.

He is terrible. Say what you want about the first one, Del Toro knew how to block a scene, considering the scale of Kaiju and Jaegers. The sequel in comparison looks like it was made by an amateur.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
He did Spartacus which was awesome, so go for ir.

Top Bottom