• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter World Warrior TV Series

Can Street Fighter get a good representation on film? Well Joey Ansah the director behind Assassin's Fist has already done it once. Can he do it again?

The strange thing is the Street Fighter Universe has been fleshed out for a while now. We argue about canon but the fans know when something is off.

"The small-screen adaptation will be loosely based on the 1991 arcade game Street Fighter II: The World Warrior and will feature Ryu, Ken, Guile and Chun-Li as its main characters. The foursome will team up against M. Bison, head of the global criminal outfit Shadaloo. Initially on separate paths, the four fighters will come together at the World Warrior Tournament, which M. Bison has organized in order to locate — as the competition’s title suggests — the world’s strongest warrior. "

This synopsis alone is more competent than Hollywood could ever hope to articulate.

If the show picks right up where Assassin's Fist left off it will be a success. As the show introduces new characters it will be important to ground them with backstories and introduce them to the already existing world. I think Street Fighter Resurrection was a successs too, partly because they kept the story orbiting around Ryu and Ken. Look over the long history of Street Fighter in film and animation form, I think Street Fighter 2V was the first and best success the Street Fighter has had in long story form.

So much can be learned from all these near success. SF2V is the high mark in animation. I'd say Assassin's Fist is considerably better than the video game source material. I got to admit Assassin's Fist has been a collaborative effort from a bunch of trial and error.

I personally think Capcom is incompetent when it comes to writing stories for their own IP. Just saying. They make games they never claimed to be a storyteller.

40717.jpg
917Radq11hL._SX342_.jpg
51ZGV3R5RYL._SY445_.jpg
alphamovie1.jpg

91mZ3d-ZI0L._SY445_.jpg
SF%20cover%20and%20dvd%20image.jpg
Street_Fighter.jpg

Street-Fighter-The-Legend-of-Chun-Li-2009-218x323.jpg
Street_Fighter_Assassins_Fist_F_3-660x330-Custom.jpg
e6410436be97a3b9941a83c0f0c7def0
hqdefault.jpg

hqdefault.jpg
8535623_watch-this-insane-real-life-street-fighter_1ac84a81_m.gif

dims
59450-streetfighter7.jpg

street-fighter-world-warrior-joey-ansah-as-akuma.jpg

The future of the SF film franchise.

Last edited:
New podcast released from Joey Ansah. I like the way Joey thinks, taking the story back to the first tournament is the best move. Some jackass writing checks will always think they know better. Sad to see he won't be able to go down the Street Fighter 1 story route. I imagine Joey pitched to the peeps over at Netflix too. I feel like Netflix would be more hands off on creative decisions for the show. Sad to see its going the cable route.

The relevant part of the interview starts at 1:04:00. https://soundcloud.com/user-212944788

Gander

Banned
Ironically I think it was Jean Claude Van Damme's other movies that came closet to capturing the spirit of Street Fighter. I love Blood Sport it's forever a classic and The Quest is not a great movie but the fighting is top notch.

Ironically I think it was Jean Claude Van Damme's other movies that came closet to capturing the spirit of Street Fighter. I love Blood Sport it's forever a classic and The Quest is not a great movie but the fighting is top notch.

Bloodsport is the shit!

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I don't want live action movie of it, instead anime movie done by Madhouse studio and team behind One Punch Man or done by Bones Studio and team behind Sword of Stranger.

dispensergoinup

Gold Member
Yeahh, I've disliked most of the live action attempts with the Assassin's Fist being the one I disliked the least. I just don't think the action translates well into live from the game at all.

lol. That Ken Tatsu.

I dont think SF can really work in live action. Not if the characters are expected to be as "out there" as they are in the games.
I dislike the anime art style too, so I'd rather see SF come to life via Western 3D animation. Zangief looked good in Wreck It Ralph (of whatever it was). Build a decent story, show Cammy in her thong using that art style and I'd be interested.

Gander

Banned
Would you support a Street Fighter movie reboot?

Guile - John Cena
Bison - Javier Bardem
Ryu - Nicholas Tse
Ken - Christian Howard
Sagat - Dolph Lundgren
Chun Li - Jamie Chung
Nash - Liam Hemsworth

Last edited:

Durask

Maybe Zhang Yimou could pull it off, make it a Wuxia style movie. That's the only way I can see it working in live action.

show Cammy in her thong using that art style and I'd be interested.

Hell yeah.

I'd also love to see an actual actress in that outfit but it's almost guaranteed no one would do it and that's why no live action Street Fighter can probably do it justice, if you're not willing to stay faithful to little things like that then you probably can't capture the world of Street Fighter, it's a very heightened world.

I mean they could compromise and have a Cammy outfit in the style of her original, where it wasn't as thongy as in Alpha 3 or V but still shows a little cheek.

The Legend of Chun Li movie shows what happens when you tone it down and try to make Street Fighter as "realistic" as you can, it's just boring.

Last edited:

NahaNago

Well I have never seen like half of those live action versions before but I do own all of the animated one's. Just make a slightly big budget cg fight fest please. I would think a tv show that focuses on Chun-li the cop as she investigates shadowloo would be easy enough to do but then we get that Chun-li movie. I did find the assassin fist a bit hard to swallow but for some odd reason really enjoyed the van damme movie.

Durask

Hell yeah.

I'd also love to see an actual actress in that outfit but it's almost guaranteed no one would do it and that's why no live action Street Fighter can probably do it justice, if you're not willing to stay faithful to little things like that then you probably can't capture the world of Street Fighter, it's a very heightened world.

Sure you can find someone to do it, but in live action you will have to play it for laughs, maybe some meta-humor, or maybe make it something stupid like wardrobe malfunction

Halo0629

I still can't forgive the street fighter animated series for turning ryu and ken into the dumb and dumber of the show.

Top Bottom