• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Students expelled after Facebook group calls for 'execution' of Jews, black people

Status
Not open for further replies.

Audioboxer

I don't disagree or really have any issue with what you're saying I just don't think it's fair to write off someone that will likely change in the next 10 years, for better or worse is up to them. That's it. I don't really believe that they'll all change if any but I'd rather see people try to help others become better people than just saying "fuck em". Personalities like theirs are born out of ignorance and allowing them to stay ignorant isn't helping anyone. In this scenario it seems that these kids were already on their second chance and hopefully for some their expulsion and death of their friend will serve as a wake up call. I don't expect every bigot and racist to change their views but there are enough examples, even within our community on GAF that make me feel that it's a lot more helpful than writing them off completely.

You didn't catch an edit

As someone very likely to end up caring for/working with some of the outcasts of society I totally get rehabilitation and not always giving up on someone. The thing is though, it starts with a person wanting to get help themselves. You can't force terrible human beings to change.

So while a small percentage may change via maturity, others will need people to take time and work in their professions to try and rehabilitate seekers of help. There are professionals and medical staff out there who will do their best. Even with that in place many people are just shitty human beings and do deserve to be written off. Not everyone can be "saved". For those that are the worst of the worst you just have to hope they keep it all in thoughts/words, as once violence and violating rights starts then we end up with injuries/deaths/jail/etc.

Being immature though is largely being a troll online, on twitter, or on a messageboard. Saying horrible shit for no reason other than to get a reaction, and then logging off the PC, kissing your mum goodnight, and going to Church in the morning. Not openly supporting hate movements and being part of public racist and bigoted groups. As I said some people are that far in the trenches its not just "oh they'll grow up".

You didn't catch an edit

So while a small percentage may change via maturity, others will need people to take time and work in their professions to try and rehabilitate seekers of help. There are professionals and medical staff out there who will do their best. Even with that in place many people are just shitty human beings and do deserve to be written off. Not everyone can be "saved". For those that are the worst of the worst you just have to hope they keep it all in thoughts/words, as once violence and violating rights starts then we end up with injuries/deaths/jail/etc.
Yeah, no worries I did catch it after and edited my post accordingly and again I wholeheartedly agree it was just in response to the posters I quoted saying they're already too far gone. I mean maybe, and I'm sure many people out there are but if there are those out there ready to make a change then i think they deserve the opportunity as much as anyone else. And honestly I think it's really cool of you to be interested going into that field of work as ive had close friends in and out if similar programs (though for drugs and alcoholism) and it really means a lot to me personally that there were people out there willing to help them out, out of the kindness of their heart even if not all of them were successful so if you ever do go into that field of work I want to thayou for doing the same for others.

Audioboxer

Yeah, no worries I did catch it after and edited my post accordingly and again I wholeheartedly agree it was just in response to the posters I quoted saying they're already too far gone. I mean maybe, and I'm sure many people out there are but if there are those out there ready to make a change then i think they deserve the opportunity as much as anyone else. And honestly I think it's really cool of you to be interested going into that field of work as ive had close friends in and out if similar programs (though for drugs and alcoholism) and it really means a lot to me personally that there were people out there willing to help them out, out of the kindness of their heart even if not all of them were successful so if you ever do go into that field of work I want to thayou for doing the same for others.

Well I'm studying psychology and will be going for a doctorate. I enjoy working with children and I also enjoy working with addictions and personal well-being. So I don't doubt I'll be engaging and interacting with people with horrific stories. Heck I'd love to work in the prison service, and with criminals. Those that are outcasts, or exist on the fringes of society. So we'll see. I have a few years left to go.

So without a doubt I'm someone that would always try and help someone wanting help, or at least at a stage where they are open enough to listening to someone trying to help them. Sadly not everyone gets there in life, and it's why we end up needing jails, and why many lives are lost prematurely. The ugly side of being human.

I do hope the patients of the next 10~30 years aren't all just bunch of Twitter trolls needing rehabilitation. Not sure I could handle that lol /s Or what am I saying, Twitter will be dead and buried shortly given how poorly it is being run.

The Facebook group, first reported by the local Daily Camera newspaper, was discovered after one of its leaders allegedly committed suicide, reportedly to “show his allegiance to the [Nazi] party and the killing of Jewish people”

I guess he took "follow your leader" seriously

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom