• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Take-Two expects shorter gaps between releases.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

When Borderlands 3 launches later this year, it will arrive almost exactly seven years after Borderlands 2. Eight years passed between the launches of Red Dead Redemption and Red Dead Redemption 2. It's been six years since Grand Theft Auto V and BioShock Infinite came out, and neither franchise has a sequel even announced, much less ready to launch in the near future.

There are a number of reasons for these extended waits between major new releases. AAA games are bigger and more expensive than ever. Downloadable content and offerings like Grand Theft Auto Online keep developers busy (and catalog titles relevant) longer.

While Take-Two chariman and CEO Strauss Zelnick acknowledges that the gap has been growing, he tells GamesIndustry.biz at last week's Electronic Entertainment Expo in Los Angeles that he sees that trend coming to an end.

"I don't see it expanding further," Zelnick says. "In fact, I would expect in many instances it may compress. I think you're right in that our ability to engage with consumers on an ongoing basis has [resulted in] some less pressure on getting to market with an all-new title. But we find that intersection between the time it takes our creators to do the best work in the industry on the one hand, and what the consumer wants, recognizing that building anticipation is a good thing.

"And we believe in resting titles as a great thing. I was a real outlier 12 years ago when we said we don't think it makes sense to annualize non-sports titles, and now most people would agree. But I think eight years is probably too long."

Check the link for more.

Winter John

Gold Member
I reckon Borderlands 3 would've been out a long time ago if Gearbox hadn't tried to jump on the Overwatch bandwagon

Ban Puncher

giphy.gif

daninthemix

Yes, there must be a middle ground between 8 years and 37 minutes (the interval at which the average rabid forum-posting gamer expects sequels to drop).

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
IMO sequels to games generally should release somewhere between 2-4 years after the initial release. Everything before that is too short and after way to Long.

Top Bottom