• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teacher forced to resign over false 'improper touching' accusations gets $680,000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dram

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/10/09/14319335-teacher-forced-to-resign-over-false-improper-touching-accusations-gets-680000?lite#__utma=238145375.1484023456.1349814310.1349814310.1349841973.2&__utmb=238145375.1.10.1349841973&__utmc=238145375&__utmx=-&__utmz=238145375.1349841973.2.2.utmcsr=google|utmccn=%28organic%29|utmcmd=organic|utmctr=%28not%20provided%29&__utmv=238145375.|8=Earned%20By=msnbc|us%20news|crime%20%26%20courts=1^12=Landing%20Content=Mixed=1^13=Landing%20Hostname=www.msnbc.msn.com=1^30=Visit%20Type%20to%20Content=Earned%20to%20Mixed=1&__utmk=269061426

A North Carolina school district agreed to pay $680,000 to a former teacher who said he was unfairly forced to resign after several students accused him of improperly touching them.

Sixth-grade teacher Jeffrey Leardini said he had been coerced into resigning in April 2006 — despite an excellent eight-year record as a teacher — after several students came forward with complaints that he touched them in sexually suggestive ways.

Criminal charges against Leardini brought by one student at Community House Middle School were later dismissed, and the other complaints, made by several of her friends, were discredited as an effort to punish the teacher on behalf of their friend, who was doing poorly in Leardini’s class.

According to the Charlotte Observer, Leardini acknowledged that he squeezed shoulders, patted arms and touched students' heads as part of his teaching style.

In his lawsuit, filed in June 2009, Leardini charged that a human resources employee for the Charlotte-Mecklenberg school district falsely claimed the district had a "no touch" rule and misled him into believing he had no choice but to resign immediately or be terminated, and that he only later learned that he had the right to an investigation of the girls' complaints before losing his job.

In February, a jury agreed that he had been deprived of due process and awarded him damages of $1.1 million from the school district and just over $52,000 from the human resources employee, Kay Cunningham, who no longer works for the school district.

The Charlotte-Mecklenberg school district appealed the decision, maintaining that Leardini resigned voluntarily.

In the settlement reached Aug. 24, the school district agreed to pay Leardini $680,000.

The school district also agreed to change Leardini’s record from "resignation in lieu of dismissal," which made him ineligible for rehire, to voluntary resignation. "Any reference to termination or suspension will be removed," it says.

Leardini now lives in San Diego and works for Petco, according to his LinkedIn page.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Good to see he got what was due to him, sucks that an "excellent" teacher is working at a Petco now.

I'd like to see those students punished somehow, but I don't think it's possible.

Redford

aka Cabbie
I hope this is all true. If so, that's great for him, I would be scared to teach for fear of this happening.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Sort of scary how much power kids can wield when they organize themselves like that. We should all learn something from this. Never trust a child.

The other side of the coin that "awareness" movements bring, unfortunately. I wouldn't be surprised if there are many, many more cases like this but don't have a happy(ish) ending.

Big-E

As a teacher in China I don't have to worry about kids out to get you really as they don't really do that but I know as soon as I go home, I need to make sure i never have my door closed and when talking one on one with a student, have another adult there to back me up. Kids can fuck you up so easily.

kirblar

The other side of the coin that "awareness" movements bring, unfortunately. I wouldn't be surprised if there are many, many more cases like this but don't have a happy(ish) ending.
There was one in the DC area in the past few years- I'm not sure on the current status of lawsuits/reparations, though.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I remember when this happened. I was volunteering in the county and the response huge. Parents were pulling their kids out of all sorts of programs.

It always seemed like bullshit. Glad he's out of Mecklenburg though. That area is rough.

DominoKid

good.

so the kids get punished for lying and ruining this man's career right?
god kids have too much power. i'd never want to be a teacher. just remembering all the lies we used to make up about teachers is off-putting enough.

i remember the best teacher i've ever had getting retired over something similar.
everybody in the entire school knew it was bullshit but there wasnt anything they could do about it cause the school didnt want the trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom