• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tell me why Xbox not just making 1st party equivalent to Sony/ Nintendo IPs not work in their favor?

Except they are building long term with the 2018 studios. The problem is people whine when things take time.
It had been three generations already and with a fourth one well on its way. They HAD time. The issue is that Xbox never had to succeed because they get propped up with external money. Xbox is like a Soviet era division tasked with doing something and given goals to reach, but gets no reward for succeeding and no punishment for failing. There was no desire for excellence because they can't fail. They didn't deliver the games because there was no consequences for sitting on their asses all day.

There are many game studios in Xbox, and most people never cared that they don't produce anything. All they say is "here are the NEW studios!", nevermind the old ones are still around collecting paychecks.

Xbox is a Zombie Division, it can't live if it can't fail.

Last edited:

Skelterz

gamepass..

Let’s invest 200m on the new gears of war and not sell a single copy and put it straight into gamepass.

quest

Not Banned from OT
It had been three generations already and with a fourth one well on its way. They HAD time. The issue is that Xbox never had to succeed because they get propped up with external money. Xbox is like a Soviet era division tasked with doing something and given goals to reach, but gets no reward for succeeding and no punishment for failing. There was no desire for excellence because they can't fail. They didn't deliver the games because there was no consequences for sitting on their asses all day.

There are many game studios in Xbox, and most people never cared that they don't produce anything. All they say is "here are the NEW studios!", nevermind the old ones are still around collecting paychecks.

Xbox is a Zombie Division, it can't live if it can't fail.
Many studios really before 2018 they had 5 and 1 was dedicated to minecraft. So 4 single team studios is hardly lots. I say turn 10, minecraft studio and the coalition are hardly just collecting a paycheck.

Schmendrick

Untitled-3.jpg

They’re trying. People forget what piss poor shape their studios were in during the last part of last generation, and it wasn’t until Phil started reporting directly to Nutella that things started to turn around.

They’re trying. People forget what piss poor shape their studios were in during the last part of last generation, and it wasn’t until Phil started reporting directly to Nutella that things started to turn around.
It it wasn't for the court cases, Xbox fans would still be arguing that everything is fine and that Xbox is doing great. The fact is Xbox had been in denial the entire 3.5 generations and the fans help the illusion going.
Until this year, many Xbox customers would still tell you there is nothing to turn around. That Xbox is 2nd to Sony and not third. That everything was going according to plan and nothing needs fixing.

Well guess what, you can't fix a problem until you admit you had one.

Beechos

Because if it was so easy to make games like sony and Nintendo everyone will be doing it. It's not like they're not trying look at all the money dumped in halo infinite along with whatever mess the initiative has become.

It it wasn't for the court cases, Xbox fans would still be arguing that everything is fine and that Xbox is doing great. The fact is Xbox had been in denial the entire 3.5 generations and the fans help the illusion going.
Until this year, many Xbox customers would still tell you there is nothing to turn around. That Xbox is 2nd to Sony and not third. That everything was going according to plan and nothing needs fixing.

Well guess what, you can't fix a problem until you admit you had one.

That’s a cool twitter argument you have there but what does it have to do with anything I said or this community we have here? I don’t care about make believe narratives mindless fanboys make elsewhere. We have plenty of Xbox users here who criticize Microsoft.

Because if it was so easy to make games like sony and Nintendo everyone will be doing it. It's not like they're not trying look at all the money dumped in halo infinite along with whatever mess the initiative has become.
You either have a lack of money or a lack of talent. Xbox has plenty of money so the problem is talent. And i don't mean the coders, I mean the managers. Yes, it is hard, but if you suck you will fail. Just as Sega had failed. And what caused Xbox to fail is stil part of Xbox so it can't stop failing no matter how many studios and publishers they buy.

Beechos

You either have a lack of money or a lack of talent. Xbox has plenty of money so the problem is talent. And i don't mean the coders, I mean the managers. Yes, it is hard, but if you suck you will fail. Just as Sega had failed. And what caused Xbox to fail is stil part of Xbox so it can't stop failing no matter how many studios and publishers they buy.
So you think they are spending money hiring/buying everything except good managers?

Last edited:

FritzJ92

A lot of answers don’t actually address the issue. Xbox was underfunded, and never expanded a first party development team. They could only rely on heir regular games because they had studios to only make those games. Missing a year to try a new IP would’ve set the Xbox game release schedule back by a lot.

They’ve overcompensated in my book by buying so many developers and studios. However if they work out a release schedule that isn’t so condense (3 big games in the last 4 months is insane) they can improve. The game releases need to be more consistent but less long down time.

If there is a down time they need a big 3P release or large DLC.

Matsuchezz

I think they should throw the towel and sell their game division to someone else. They plain suck. Empty promises, lots of lies, they've been buying out crappy developers, until they aimed for ABK.

VAVA Mk2

Except they are building long term with the 2018 studios. The problem is people whine when things take time.
Well Coalition and Turn 10 and Playground are good. 343i is shit. Hopefully they do well with other studios (ie Ninja Theory) since acquisition.

Sorcerer

Microsoft can buy as many studios as they want, but if you can't manage them then what's the point? I feel they may be out of control trying to manage all these studio's and cannot focus on anything important. I bet if they get Activision, the problems will triple for them in this regard, and we just get mediocre Activision anyway. If all they want is content over quality to pad out Gamepass numbers so they can charge an absurd amount of money for the service in the future, then Xbox is very lost.

Alebrije

Because they not have the need to generate great IPs , they want others develop games meanwhile they monopolize the way those IPs are avaliable to users.

Last edited:
I remember reading many years ago that the release of indie games on Xbox Live was hindered by internal disputes within Microsoft/Xbox. There was a high turnover of executives, and the new teams refused to release the games proposed by the previous teams, focusing on releasing their own projects.

I recall Eurogamer publishing an article about this, with an indie developer explaining the situation of how their game was delayed for 1 year or more.

Lupin25

Well, that’s complicated.

Over the past few years, the majority of XGS’ efforts to maintain relevancy in the industry has been to push gamepass, its new additions, and purchase big named publishers.

Rather than nurture their own internal studios to design new quality IP, they’d rather collect more devs and overhead.
But it’s not just a single dev or 3rd party exclusive anymore (like Tomb Raider or Indiana Jones), which is clearly concerning to rival platform-holders.

After Halo Infinite & Redfall, it just seems like MS has hit a breaking point with Xbox where they need a shit ton of must-play exclusive content, no one else can play without a Series SX/PC/Steam Deck/Gamepass, preferably now.

Unfortunately, that will have to wait until Starfield and their next batch of games.
I’d love to go back to the Xbox live 360-era when all their franchises were thriving.
Phil knows how to market games, but to help create them? Not so much…

Last edited:
Huh? You can't even compare Sony and Nintendo's game catalogues. They are totally different and don't mirror each other in the slightest.
Nintendo has a reputation as being a kids console, and the majority of people I see playing the Switch are kids.

There is no need for MS to be like either of them.
Microsoft is building its own flavour. The Xbox used to be called the Shooter box, due to its game catalogue.
Now there is a definite gap growing between the Sony flavour and the Xbox flavour.
Sony has the third person, story driven adventure game genre sown up.
Xbox is now without a doubt the WRPG and the Shooter box. If you like shooters and WRPG, the Xbox slaughters both Sony and Nintendo.

It's should be a good thing that all three companies are not doing the same thing.

Top Bottom