• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Test Drive Unlimited Solar Crown | The Explorer Trailer

đź“° Read more about exploration, release date, and much more: discover our Winter Update with new details on the future of Test Drive Unlimited Solar Crown: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1249970/view/4173218293858269842

🏝️ Explore, alone or with friends, and discover the riches Hong Kong Island has to offer.

Test Drive Unlimited Solar Crown is a racing game and lifestyle experience on Hong Kong Island, recreated at 1:1 scale.
On Hong Kong Island, where dreams become reality, Radiant has created new standards of luxury. This little-known but highly influential organization has invited its members to compete in an extraordinary competition: the Solar Crown. Few know what the group's motives are, but it's clear what they value: prestige, a love of cars, and competition.

Test Drive Unlimited Solar Crown will be available in 2024 on PC, PS5 & Xbox Series X|S.

CamHostage

Looks nice outdoors in the jungle, which is a surprising turn-around/focus since the city driving stuff seemed pretty pedestrian and unremarkable last time they showed it. (Granted, none of this is actual gameplay footage, they label it as "in-engine gameplay footage" but even the bonnet viewpoints are unlikely how it'll be presented in play, but the engine is showing more promise here than in the previous clip, not to mention the gameplay test footage they put out.) Reminded me of the trailer for The Crew Motorfest, but then it didn't transition from country to city, it just cycled the cars.

Hope it turns out well, a nice new TDU would be a good time.

BTW, seems like they dropped the Switch (unless they're shooting for Switch 2, or plan to do that version later.) It's just as well, KT Engine was not doing great things on Switch in the games before this and the tech for TDU Solar Crown to go open-world is a massive change that could have been a nightmare to port down to Switch.

RoboCain

I kind of numb on these too big to fail racing games. How they expect to compete with Forza? I wish they would invest that budget towards a more creative proposal.

Feeling exactly the opposite of CamHostage CamHostage ;)
I liked the city scenes from the last footage, it felt special and different to other current racing games. This trailer looks a little like it could be the trailer for Forza Horizon 6 – pretty good looking but the same content/idea like all the last Horizon entries (go offroad, find old cars in the countryside).

TDU is kind of “The Sims” for car lovers for me. I don’t care that much for racing or off road. I want to cruise with nice cars between my different houses and want personalize the cars and houses and my character as much as possible. I hope the “story” doesn’t get too much in my way. I want to decide, who I am there, not to play some random guy saying cool lines to my rich and young friends, who are all so funny.

CamHostage

Feeling exactly the opposite of CamHostage CamHostage ;)
I liked the city scenes from the last footage, it felt special and different to other current racing games. This trailer looks a little like it could be the trailer for Forza Horizon 6....

TDU is kind of “The Sims” for car lovers for me. I don’t care that much for racing or off road. I want to cruise with nice cars between my different houses and want personalize the cars and houses and my character as much as possible.

Eh, yeah, I agree, it did not feel totally like a TDU trailer to me either. I knew there would be woodland areas, but I was surprised to see dirt roads and off-road driving. (The TDUs were set on tropical islands, but they still stayed on the street as far as I remember. )

It can still work, and games have grown in scale and diversity since X360 days (and user tastes are increasingly more demanding of variety,) but in this trailer it felt more aggro and like FH/Motorfest than uniquely it's own driving experience.

The engine tech looked nice though, and every other trailer has focused on car culture and driving finess, so hopefully it'll all gel in the right way.

RoboCain

At least it doesn't feel like a direct rip-off like the latest Crew game.
Did you see the customization menues?

I think giving the PS audience a Horizon clone is simply too tempting. First Need for Speed, then The Crew, now Test Drive.

I think this could work for me if they get rid of all the XP counters, perks and roulette non sense and just let me win races, make money and buy cars like the first Horizon or GT4.

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
HNWYc69.gif

hlm666

Can't see a single effect for the dust plume as they are driving, skidding and drifting around a dirt road. It has to be there in the final version right? RIGHT?

Top Bottom