• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 3DS is still a killer retro machine in 2024

Doczu

Still rocking my n3DS, hacked.

Great 3DS library paired with all previous Nintendo handhelds in 1 sexy clamshell factor. And yes. ALL OF THEM. Virtual Boy is fully playable in 3D as of 2024.

Last edited:

Power Pro

The problem for me with DS and 3DS, is what the Switch solved....give me a damn option to play on the TV when I'm home. Even the GB through GBA had means of that. There were too many long and good games that I just don't want to play hunched over on that small screen. If the screen size wasn't a problem for me, it was the how damn cramped my hand would get holding the system. The only time my hands felt better playing a DS system was when I had a 2DS. Not a 2DS XL, but the weird looking 2DS that was cheap, and marketed towards kids. Largely because the design of that thing was actually easier to hold for my large hands. Sadly the screens were on the smaller size for that unit, and it only had 1 speaker so it wasn't ideal beyond the hand comfort.

El Muerto

The main reason i got a 3ds. So many great JRPGs on both the ds and 3ds.
vtezWeq.png

Last edited:

Filben

about 5 hours or so depending on brightness and how high sound is set. ds games should be about 10 hours. I generally keep my screen on power saving setting and low brightness half volume. you can also play with the charging cable in.
It's a DS game but I have had the display brightness on maximum so that might explain it.

Danknugz

got a 3ds that i barely touched cause of my 2ds backlog that i never touch. also have 2 switches that i got back when they were hard to find that i planned to scalp but never did. doesn't look like i'll ever get around to using them at this rate. my current back log game for nintendo handheld is hotel 215 on 2ds

LordCBH

I installed the custom firmware on my 2DS XL like ten minutes ago! Super easy! Got my DS rims on my Home Screen, got the GBA Pokémon games on the Home Screen!

Tams

I wish there were a new proper handheld coming from Nintendo, but we all know that ain't happening.

I'd settle for a dual screen Switch, ideally with a stylus.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Just spent 3 hours tinkering with it. Deleted around 40 Game Boy and NES games that I’d never play.

Zelda and Pokemon machine now, with some of the best SNES and 3DS games remaining.

Yeah I dug mine out when I saw it was increasing in price yesterday. Red new 3ds XL with a top IPS screen.

Time to load it up. It does feel premium as hell compared to a switch.

BlackTron

I always wanted a 3DS XL but I only have the base launch style model with unergonomic shape and peeling d-pad. The platform has the potential to dump hundreds of hours but it turned into something I keep just for the capability to run 3D Land. I wish I hadn't waited so long to get a XL I feel like the moment passed.

Variahunter

Shit system to play anything on it. The system is so unconfortable to handle and the screen is bad.

For retro games and portable factor, go Analogue Pocket. Can't do better.

For 3DS games I would use Citra. You will get better resolution and much better gamepad and stick.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Love the catalogue of DS + 3DS but I have to agree with Variahunter Variahunter , at least my new N2DS XL feels cheaply made and not very comfortable.

For a retro portable machine, I'd go with the Vita. A few months ago I played the three GBA Castlevania games on mine and they looked and played great.

Top Bottom