• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The biggest tragedy in gaming is what happened to mobile

Wildebeest

It's simple. The experience of playing on mobile for anything other than the most simple games for a short session is bad and always will be. AV is bad, controls are bad, marketplace is bad. It is sound thinking to not value it enough to pay for it up front, since there is no expectation of value. So the option is to reduce friction and make games habit-forming. I suppose in parts of Asia and India there might be people who will put up with the medium to play more complex games and competitive games, only because they don't see an alternative, and anything is better than nothing.

Some of the things I'm reading might be true ten years ago. Today? You got it all wrong.

For example, Mihoyo's games are more AAA than any console JRPG aside from Final Fantasy (and they are bigger in scope and budget too)

Ever heard of Arknights? Punishing Gray Raven? Wuthering Waves? Brown Dust 2? Fantasian? I bet you haven't.

Thanks to companies that have raised the bar in mobile gaming now we have titles like Stellar Blade and Lies of Pi in the console market. And very soon Arknights Endfiel.

The only tragedy is that these companies, the ones making millions in mobile, are the only ones free of woke bullshit.

KXVXII9X

Don't worry about what others are playing. Not everybody likes the games you mentioned. There's still a market and still developers who make the kinds of games you are talking about. Just like with console gaming even though GaaS dominates, people still make traditional games.

Reasons people play those free to play games over the paid ones are because they don't know they would like the game as they usually can't try it first or they do know they don't like those kinds of games. If they were going to spend moeny on MTX anyways I doubt it's because they didn't want to pay $15 upfront and more likely they didn't want to lose $15 on something they wouldn't end up liking or simply didn't care for the game.

Just ignore the games you don't like and play the games you do like.
A lot of the mobile titles back then had free trial/Lite versions though.

jakinov

I guess the problem is one of discoverability. How do I find these games? It's like trying to find a needle in a haystack.
iOS has placements for top paid games and you can probably join one of the mobile subreddits on reddit too.

A lot of the mobile titles back then had free trial/Lite versions though.
They stopped doing that a long time ago.

Jesb

Biggest tragedy to me are ip’s that are not being used. Owned by companies that won’t even get other developers to make a new game and instead sit on those franchises forever without doing anything with it.

LarsQMorient

Neo Member
Bruh…I know micros were here before that. CC normalized that garbage. Sure you could unlock power ups playing the game, but they made it more and more difficult knowing at that point they could anchor the players with that garbage and charge for more power ups. And I also know the shit started as a browser game…Facebook games are a whole different (but same) argument. Please ffs don’t try to act like CC didn’t change the whole damn landscape of mobile gaming. You are wrong 🤷‍♂️

Plus…Lars, I’m gonna be real with you. As a new user, you can come on here and try to argue every single point any poster makes…but all that’s going to do is make people not respect you, or believe you are an alt account.
This is my first account on this site. When I signed up it took months to get approved. lol. I just find it funny that many games that are brought up to show how bad mobile gaming is are PC/browser games.

Puscifer

Once Apple got everyone hooked on the dollar mobile app it was over. It's why I'm buying a steam deck, so many games I love don't require my PC or console to play. I played balatro and was hooked and immediately went to see if it was available on Android and well... No, it wasn't.

StereoVsn

Apple Arcade provides exactly what you're looking for.

Unfortunately the market seems largely uninterested and instead prefers the shitty "Free to Play" games you're describing.
It really doesn’t though. Games are generally mainly oriented at kids, selection has been subpar for many months and judging by recent rumors the whole thing is on life support.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
This is my first account on this site. When I signed up it took months to get approved. lol. I just find it funny that many games that are brought up to show how bad mobile gaming is are PC/browser games.
Well yea, because they moved to mobile and ruined the mobile phone game industry (even though there wasn’t really a market outside of micro transactions). My exact point.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I kinda thinks that's good? it means gaming is different for different people and different platforms.

KXVXII9X

iOS has placements for top paid games and you can probably join one of the mobile subreddits on reddit too.

They stopped doing that a long time ago.
Right, but I'm saying they did have the lite versions back then for people to try the premium games. I'm not talking about now. People did have a way to test games out if they wanted but that still didn't work out.

I am on the reddit for Android gaming and still play some premium mobile titles like Siralim, Trials of Mana Remake, Xcom 2, and Coromon.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Gameboy was formidable, than consoles crossed with handhelds around 2006 with the PSP.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Some of the things I'm reading might be true ten years ago. Today? You got it all wrong.

For example, Mihoyo's games are more AAA than any console JRPG aside from Final Fantasy (and they are bigger in scope and budget too)

Ever heard of Arknights? Punishing Gray Raven? Wuthering Waves? Brown Dust 2? Fantasian? I bet you haven't.

Thanks to companies that have raised the bar in mobile gaming now we have titles like Stellar Blade and Lies of Pi in the console market. And very soon Arknights Endfiel.

The only tragedy is that these companies, the ones making millions in mobile, are the only ones free of woke bullshit.
Most of this stuff above is gatcha crap with the exception of Fantasian. So gatcha, stamina systems, billion different currencies and so on.

Anything good about the game usually gets buried in whale catching MTX shit show.

SoulTas

Neo Member
Mobile phone games contribution to handheld gaming is the same as the dark ages contribution to humanity.

I enjoyed Cut the rope, Burn the rope, Real Racing, iirc Gun Bros, some Ninja Runners or whatever it was, 2048, Chess and recently played a lot of Solitaire and variants of cards games.
But it's a marketplace I usually leave empty handed, and disappointed. Especially those games that bombard my youtube feed and don't look anything like their ad, are terrible and should be banned for false advertising.
I rather pay another Vita failure than trying to find the gems on mobile. Snapdragon and whatnot are ready but the games are almost impossible to find in all the garbage.

Impotaku

Stuff like monument valley & the room series of games show that mobile is able to provide entertaining & unique games however they are raritys over the match 3 & endless gacha shit. It's nigh on impossible to find the good unique indie type stuff unless you really put the work in & research for hours which is why most don't bother unless you are looking for a super trivial timewaster.

johnnyKage5

Neo Member
whats stopping someone like a group of users here from making a game. its mobile which means absolutely anything could be acceptable.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
The act of playing games on mobile is such a downgrade, that I can understand why no one wants to spend money buying games for it.

Few genres work great on it.

onQ123

Rare would of been bankrupted at the start of 360/ps3/wii era if they werent purchased by microsoft, nintendo had no intention of buying them, only thing ms did bad was forcing them to use kinect for years
You're worried about the income I'm worried about the outcome lol
Microsoft buying ______________ was the biggest tragedy in gaming

Insert everything they have ever bought
Microsoft buying Bungie was actually great until it came to an end .

LarsQMorient

Neo Member
Right, but I'm saying they did have the lite versions back then for people to try the premium games. I'm not talking about now. People did have a way to test games out if they wanted but that still didn't work out.

I am on the reddit for Android gaming and still play some premium mobile titles like Siralim, Trials of Mana Remake, Xcom 2, and Coromon.
Some upset people would leave bad scores and reviews because they thought they got full free games.

protonion

I remember when I bought the iPhone 3gs back then I was floored by the gaming offerings.

I clearly remember Canabalt was the first one.
Then an endless stream of awesome games in what felt one the biggest creativity explosions in gaming.
I truly thought traditional gaming was in trouble.

Then gaas stared....

I should feel sorry for the billions of hours and money wasted on this shit, but I won't.

Consumers have failed. Enjoy being zombies.

Last edited:

IAmRei

Mobile will be the dominant gaming platform in some form. Just probably not during our life time.
it is already dominant in some region, maybe in worldwide. in my experience, when i say games, people often misunderstood it as mobile first.

Top Bottom