• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Day Before joins Overwatch 2 as one of Steam's worst-reviewed games after players discover it's not an MMO at all and extremely poorly made

Draugoth

Gold Member
the-day-before-has-a-13-overwhelmingly-negative-rating-on-v0-aklxqrdmoy4c1.jpg

Text Source

Survival MMO The Day Before has become one of Steam's worst-reviewed games, and it's mostly down to the fact it's suddenly no longer an MMO.

On December 7, developer Fntastic finally released The Day Before - a game that many thought was never going to see the light of day. It started life at the top of Steam's most wishlisted list, where it stayed for quite a long time, but it's now joining the likes of Overwatch 2 as one of the worst-reviewed games on the digital storefront.

It didn't take long after its release for The Day Before to be met with several 'overwhelmingly negative' Steam reviews. In their reviews, players can be seen criticizing the game's lack of open world, poor performance, and most noticeably, the missing MMO element. "This is not an open world MMO, this is a small area extraction shooter," one reviewer writes on Steam. "Not an MMO, not open world," another says in their review.

To make matters worse, members of the game's subreddit have claimed Fntastic is removing any evidence that suggests it was ever supposed to be an MMO. According to the post below, it looks like several changes have been made in Steam's backend that remove things like the mention of 'open-world' or 'massively multiplayer'. If you head on over to the game's actual Steam page, these tags still exist but in the user-submitted section of the page.

Others have noticed changes happening to Fntastic's YouTube channel, with this Twitter user showing how the developer's previous videos have seemingly disappeared from the account. These actions are strange for sure, but hardly unexpected considering all of the bizarre things the developer did before release like asking for volunteers to work on the game, removing it from Steam due to a "copyright claim", and just a general lack of updates.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Yeaaaaaah, can't say this is too surprising. It's wild to advertise your game as one thing, and give anyone that's interested expectations. Then at launch you attempt to give everyone the ol switcheroo and think it'll go just fine, lol. The use of SOME Unreal assets shouldn't be too shocking either, but when it's THAT much or THAT many, that's pretty.... oof. Especially when you're trying to talk the game up pretty hard and on top of that, charge people $40. Lol.

OrtizTwelve

The game was always too good to be true. What we're getting is basically a knock-off version of The Last of Us if even that.

It's very, very hard to create good games these days that are original and aren't trash unless you have either a very talented but small team that captures lightning in a bottle or a very large company pouring money into your development along with a talented team.

RickSanchez

Gold Member
I am struggling to think - what was/is the point of this ?

Even if this is a scam, how are the devs benefiting from the scam ? All this negative press means no one will buy it except for the few people already leaving negative steam reviews (who can themselves refund the game within 2 hours), so they wont make much money from this "game". What is the devs' real objective in doing this ?

Last edited:
I saw footage of someone playing it and one of the other online players only walked 5 feet before their model glitched into a size where they were as suddenly as tall as a skyscraper. It jump scared the other players. I also saw Angry Joe's clip where he finally got into a server after a long time of trying and spawned into nothingness, falling infinitely.

These devs have buried their reputation in one year's time and this was the icing on their cake. They must have been contractually obligated to release this, otherwise I have no idea why they were so adamant about pushing this to be played this year.

Bartski

Gold Member
Last edited:
I saw footage of someone playing it and one of the other online players only walked 5 feet before their model glitched into a size where they were as suddenly as tall as a skyscraper. It jump scared the other players. I also saw Angry Joe's clip where he finally got into a server after a long time of trying and spawned into nothingness, falling infinitely.

These devs have buried their reputation in one year's time and this was the icing on their cake. They must have been contractually obligated to release this, otherwise I have no idea why they were so adamant about pushing this to be played this year.
Ok that is actually really funny. That should be the game. Small players have to run and hide from giant players. Now THAT would be a fun game.

Geruda065

I am struggling to think - what was/is the point of this ?

Even if this is a scam, how are the devs benefiting from the scam ? All this negative press means no one will buy it except for the few people already leaving negative steam reviews (who can themselves refund the game within 2 hours), so they wont make much money from this "game". What is the devs' real objective in doing this ?
There was 40k players peak. At 40$ thats 1.6m. If only 10% fail to refund that 160.000$.

at this point it's gotta just be people hate buying/playing mostly for content right?
It's easy streaming content for sure. Steam also has a pretty good return policy so it's probably being used to their advantage.

Buy, stream it to show how terrible it is or make fun of it, refund.

StueyDuck

It's easy streaming content for sure. Steam also has a pretty good return policy so it's probably being used to their advantage.

Buy, stream it to show how terrible it is or make fun of it, refund.
I imagine alot of that is happening.

Just quickly went through my steam friends list. Now I don't have every person on earth as a friend on steam obviously. But I got a fair amount from the days I was taking CSGO seriously and playing comps. In my list only 4 have it wishlisted. Seems like the few who did buy, refunded it because I can't see it in their libraries yet steam activity says they bought it 🤣

So it does seem like streamers and content creators are carrying them

Hugare

Unknown dev self publishing an AAA looking MMO that turns out to be a scam??

Shocked Patrick Stewart GIF

There's a saying here in Brazil that goes "everyday someone up to no good and a stupid person get out of bed. When they meet, business happens"

I blame the devs, of course. But you gotta be so stupid to fall for it.

Generic

I wonder if OW2 got review-bombed. Since it's free2play anyone can download and review the game in 5 minutes.

Dazraell

Anyone who thought this will turn out good was really in denial. This game had so many red flags before launch that it was just baffling

Codes 208

A shitty copy of division which was a decent copy of destiny which was a step down copy from halo which was itself a copy of marathon which was a copy of doom

When you copy a copy enough times, it ends with this kind of shit

Gamezone

Gold Member
The developers knew this was a scam. The Steam forums was always closed because of this, and they have removed all their fake videos and shut down their Discord.

Top Bottom