• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Fox Engine: Who Owns It, Konami or the division of Konami that won't exist soon

Konami. However, many of the engineers and tool designers could be Kojipro and may jump ship after Phantom Pain, leaving Konami with a headache.

Halabane

Any work done while an employee of a corporation is owned by the corporation

So konami, konami and konami

Depends. IP law is the wild west. Deal with it a lot at work. Even if you pay for it, the subcontractor could won the rights or even the individual. Depends on the contract.

Based on how well Ground Zeros runs, it'd be a damn shame if this engine disappeared. We need more 60fps on current gen consoles

Afrikan

They're one and the same.

DICE's real name is Electronic Arts Digital Illusions Creative Entertainment Aktiebolag.

EADICE huh?

sometimes I hate that EA bought studios that make some of the best game engines... Criterion Games (Renderware) and DICE (Frostbite).

Sometimes wonder what other studios would've used their engines, and for what games.

yes I understand DICE might not be where it's at right now if it wasn't for EA.

Shin-Ra

The collective minds of those that created it.

Stick it back together, improve it, rebrand it the Socks Engine with a finely woven logo and presto. Fox 2.0

mattp

how many times is this going to come up
i dont get it
do that many people really think kojima productions is an independent company?
they were just a division of konami
of course konami owns it

OmegaFax

Konami funding and developing their own engine only to not own it or dictate licensing terms would be icing on the cake in terms of bad business decisions. It's like walking into a stranger's house to finish their basement .. except not. Yeah, anyways.

Datschge

The bigger question is whether Konami, with the assumed drain of talents from former KojiPro, is still in the position to develop and use the Fox Engine.

Neff

Who owns it?

Konami

Who's not going to put it to use?

Konami

They're going to make MGS games, PES games, and very likely Silent Hill games as well, and they now have a very competitive engine for that purpose.

They may also look into licensing it for other developers.

Interfectum

They're going to make MGS games, PES games, and very likely Silent Hill games as well, and they now have a very competitive engine for that purpose.

They may also look into licensing it for other developers.

With Unity and UE4 out there I can't imagine any dev wanting to license the Fox Engine.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
With Unity and UE4 out there I can't imagine any dev wanting to license the Fox Engine.
Japanese speaking devs maybe? It seems to be impressive in what it can achieve as well. I'd like to see a game as ambitious as MGSV created in Unity or UE4 while holding 60fps on consoles.

That's not to say that any old licensee could extract such good performance from it, though. Who knows.

Top Bottom