• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Iron Claw trailer. Zac Efron and Jeremy Allen White star as members of the Von Erich wrestling family

DKehoe

From writer/director Sean Durkin and starring Zac Efron, Jeremy Allen White, Harris Dickinson, Maura Tierney, Stanley Simons, with Holt McCallany and Lily James. THE IRON CLAW – In Theatres Everywhere December 22.

For those unfamiliar with the story it gets pretty dark and tragic. Not one to watch if you're looking for a good time but it's a compelling story and looks like it's being done well here.

Kevin, played by Zac Efron in this, once said "Once I had five brothers. Now I'm not even a brother"

I just recently finished season 2 of The Bear and thought Jeremy Allen White was fantastic. So I'm looking forward to seeing him as Kerry.

For any AEW fans, MJF is going to have a small role in this as Lance Von Erich.

Last edited:

DKehoe

I can't believe how fucking ripped they are. Just absolutely insane.
I knew Efron would be ripped but I was surprised by how much Jeremy Allen White has bulked up to play Kerry. I guess you can't really play him without being ripped but didn't expect that kind of change.

MastAndo

Damn, I'm hyped for this, it looks great. Kind of pint-sized versions of the brothers, but they definitely got jacked enough to pull it off. Impressive, even if it is assisted.

Last edited:

DKehoe

Has anyone watched this yet? Unfortunately it’s not out here in the U.K. until February. But I was curious to see what people thought of it.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Yup, they definitely have to make a He-Man movie with Efron. He's absolutely perfect.
Just film it, put it in a vault, and release it when the toxic masculinity phobia is behind us. But don't waste the chance.

AJUMP23

Movie was excellent. Zac Effron was great and the story was heartbreaking. I did love that he pulls through in the end and the picture of him at the end of the movie is a dream and beautiful.

DKehoe

This finally got released here so I got to see it over the weekend and thought it was fantastic. Really says something about how tragic the events were that they had to tone down/leave out aspects because it would just be too much.

AJUMP23

This finally got released here so I got to see it over the weekend and thought it was fantastic. Really says something about how tragic the events were that they had to tone down/leave out aspects because it would just be too much.

I think the movie really does a good job of showing how you overcome tragedy. The void is there but the family he created filled the gap. Also a far more loving person than his father.

DKehoe

I think the movie really does a good job of showing how you overcome tragedy. The void is there but the family he created filled the gap. Also a far more loving person than his father.
Yeh, Kevin manages to break the cycle by placing his priorities on much more healthy things. It's good to see that he seems to be living a happy life these days.

Among the stuff it left out was the part where Fritz (who had brain cancer at the time) pulled a gun on Kevin and told him that if he had any guts he'd kill himself like his brothers had. And biggest of all was leaving out Chris, the youngest brother. The director talked about that choice in this interview.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Just watched. Really enjoyed it. But it was about the family than the sport. I felt. But Kerry was nuts. The whole von Erich family lore a stuff wasn’t really known about by me before this film I was only a teenager back then and no internet. So the Texas tornado etc just never entered my mind to research.
Either way see it if you are a fan of wrestling. But holy hell if Zack is trying to say his face was messed up by an accident with his chin. This movie will make you realise that’s BS he is clearly on something. In one scene MJF is wrestling and Zac looks as big as him maybe bigger.
Even Jeremy Allen White looks smaller compared to him. Lily James is hot as always.

Last edited:
Indeed, a great film. Zac Efron gives an amazing performance here.

It did have some pacing issues, towards the end I felt like it went on slightly too long, but overall really well done.

Two scenes at the end really got to me. The first was
when the dead brothers reunite, and they meet their little brother who died when he was five
, and the other one was
when Kevin has a moment with his kids, reflecting on the fact that he is no longer a brother

Last edited:
Top Bottom