• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian approaches. Industry veterans look back on the legacy of Team Ico

AAK

For all the problems the game is guaranteed to have with its messed up development. the soundtrack will definitely be something. That trailer music is beautiful.

I found this quote in particular interesting.

“In Shadow of the Colossus, the sense that you’re facing down impossible odds is even stronger due to the ever-looming presence of the colossi. The first time I scaled and took down a colossus was a moment of pure exhilaration; I’d never faced a creature so much larger than myself in a videogame, let alone defeated one. It’s one of those defining moments in games, and I think it’s fair to say that the confrontations between Aloy and the machines in Horizon Zero Dawn owe a huge debt to Shadow of the Colossus.

From Guerilla's managing director. Horizon to evoke feelings of playing SotC? Yes please

gogojira

Very, very cautious about this game but my adoration for Shadow of the Colossus is forcing me to hope for more of that magic.

Crayon

I buy these games to support the art, and I am really impressed and excited for them, but I didn't really get into playing Ico or Shadow that much. I'll revisit them before playing this.

The fact that TLG seem more like Ico and less like SotC gets me hyped as I always preferred the more intimate story of the first game. I did love the protagonist basically only saying Argo all game though, that was pretty amazing.

I think TLG is going to be amazing, I don't think Shu would have pushed to finish it if it wasn't s good design.

My most anticipated game of the year. After all this time, we finally get to have it, the culmination of sustained hype.

Oh, and PS4Pro is out by the time it hits, even better! XD

silva1991

Why? I can't imagine anticipating about another release from them given this game's release issues.

I don't think one game release issue is enough to stop people from wanting another game from their favorite dev/team and It's not like there is replacement for Team Ico's unique games from non indie devs.

Unless TLG is total trash of course.

I don't think one game release issue is enough to stop people from wanting another game from their favorite dev/team and It's not like there is replacement for Team Ico's unique games from non indie devs.

Unless TLG is total trash of course.

Its GenDesign now.

Fuck it, I'm pre-ordering the CE on Monday. I need that statue and art book.

Also, Shu's comments make me a little confident Sony will continue to work with Ueda moving forward. I really hope so, I can't imagine any other publisher would give him this much time or creative freedom.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I personally feel that although Shadow of the Colossus was indeed an amazing experience, ICO was terribly overrated both in terms of its gameplay mechanics and the "feel" that it supposedly evoke.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
That Last Guardian music hits me in the feels. The OST will be something special, and so will the game hopefully.

If you're interested, there's some of the composer's other music on YouTube. It sounds... well, it sounds like Last Guardian a bit!

I did this briefly a while back, but it wasn't enough to get a feel for the composer. Are there any particular tracks you enjoyed?

Alo0oy

Banned
I personally feel that although Shadow of the Colossus was indeed an amazing experience, ICO was terribly overrated both in terms of its gameplay mechanics and the "feel" that it supposedly evoke.

Ico was one of the most influential games ever though, unlike SotC (which is a better game imo). You can't deny its impact on the industry.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Ico was one of the most influential games ever though, unlike SotC (which is a better game imo). You can't deny its impact on the industry.

Okay, can you specify what kind of a huge influence it has over the video game industry? How did its existence altered the video game industry in a big and significant way? Can you explain?

They are pretty much the Studio Ghibli of gaming, no one else makes games like them.

Agreed.

Fuck it, I'm pre-ordering the CE on Monday. I need that statue and art book.

Also, Shu's comments make me a little confident Sony will continue to work with Ueda moving forward. I really hope so, I can't imagine any other publisher would give him this much time or creative freedom.

Yeah, I really hope so.

Danielsan

That little retrospective video really hit me. God I love ICO and especially Shadow of the Colossus so damn much. Even though I expect The Last Guardian to a flawed, I just can't wait to dig into a new Ueda game. I still have high hopes that it will be a beautiful and emotionally gripping adventure.

silva1991

Okay, can you specify what kind of a huge influence it has over the video game industry? How did its existence altered the video game industry in a big and significant way? Can you explain?

Many great games were influenced by it some are obvious and some aren't

https://www.wired.com/2013/09/ico/

ICO was also an influence for Miyazaki to make Demon souls and Souls games are millions of gamers favorite series of all time

That game awoke me to the possibilities of the medium

Ico was a major inspiration for Miyazaki

I don't even need to mention this year's critically acclaimed game INSIDE and it's spiritual predecessor Limbo.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I didn't play either of these games until the remasters, and they were still incredible. I'm trying to keep my expectations in check, but everything I have seen of TLG is exactly what I wanted it to be.

NateDog

I completely agree with Druckmann's comments on holding Yorda's hand. The way you had to pull along that airy person, the effect it had on Ico's movement, the subtlety of the vibration on the controller when you grabbed her hand, let go of it, or made a movement which made either Ico or Yorda stumble. I haven't seen any video game do anything like it.

The game I've seen (since playing ICO) that seems to have taken most inspiration from ICO so far is Dark Souls. The isolation in the world is fascinating.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I loved everything about SotC but can't even get through an hour of Ico.

The world and "lore" of Ico seems cool but it was way too boring for me. Good save point music tho.

Nice article.
This is one of those rare games were reviews won't influence whether I get this one or not.

I just need to play this.

I didn't play either of these games until the remasters, and they were still incredible. I'm trying to keep my expectations in check, but everything I have seen of TLG is exactly what I wanted it to be.

I'm in the same boat.
Only played the remasters on PS3 after hearing about how classic the originals were and I immediately loved both games. I'm a full Team Ico convert, there games are incredibly unique.

For some reason, I find that I enjoyed Ico just a little bit more.

Ratrat

Really interested to see how a game like this fares critically and commercially in today's market. I respect how unflinching the team at Team ICO are at delivering their vision, outside of the expected norms of gaming in this day and age.
I don't get this. The Ico and SotC HD collection has a higher rating than the original games. Contrast that to games like God of War or Uncharted where the ratings went down. Todays climate is not somehow suddenly hostile to artsy games.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
OléGunner;219360794 said:
For some reason, I find that I enjoyed Ico just a little bit more.

I'd lean towards SotC myself. They both capture that sense of isolation perfectly, but there's something really powerful about that open and strangely abandoned landscape that really does something for me.

Both 10/10 masterpieces of course though.

I don't get this. The Ico and SotC HD collection has a higher rating than the original games. Contrast that to games like God of War or Uncharted where the ratings went down. Todays climate is not somehow suddenly hostile to artsy games.

I'd say the industry as a whole is actually more friendly to these types of games, what with the explosion of downloadable/indie games in the last few years. Which reminds me, I still need to play Inside.

The PS blog link from the OP should have already clarified this. These are AAA developers praising the game.

Top Bottom