• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Male Gaze vs. The Men | The Whole Plate Episode 6 Lindsay Ellis

caliph95

https://youtu.be/oNkTeHpHj_I

Lindsay Ellis a film critic has been doing an analysis and commentary of the Bay Transformer's movies as part of her Whole Plate series. This is the sixth episode but i don't think you need to watch the other videos even if you feel you have to those videos are each around 10-12 minutes.

This particular video is more on the ever present Male Gaze in these movies

Laiza

Gotta say, I didn't expect her to look at how male gaze applies to the male characters, but it's definitely an interesting take.

You really can't escape the sense that Michael Bay hates these characters and wrote them to be massive douchebags. Does he think that sort of archetype is entertaining or something? I can only wonder...

Edit: Got to the point where she points out that Michael Bay uses them as the audience avatar. Makes sense. And really makes Bay look that much more of an asshole in the process.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I only ever watched the first Transformers, but even back in 2007 I thought there was something weird about how the Maine female lead was written as an independent feminist symbol despite being sonscantily clad.

Top Bottom