• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Matrix released in theatres 25 years ago today

Why? So you can hate yourself? The sequels make the og look worse by existing.

Hm? I loved all 3 equally especially the atmosphere/soundtrack/fights. God, that soundtrack:

This Is Delicious So Good GIF by SWR3

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Matrix 1 awesome movie. The two movies after that were shit. So bad I don’t remember anything except the overhyped albino twins which were barely in the movie and the t third movie being a total video game shoot ‘em up fest. It was drawn out video game Gatling fun fights. Terrible flick.

Muffdraul

I remember how mysterious the trailer/commericals were and how I seriously had no fucking idea what the movie was going to be about. I actually wasn't even all that curious, but my friend wanted to see it on opening day so we did, at the Chinese on Hollywood Blvd. Suffice it to say that was a good day.

I love the sequels. Fuck all yall, don't @ me. I love Reloaded, Revolutions, Phantom Menace, Attack of the Sith, the Hobbit trilogy... but you can miss me with Matrix 4. My theory is that the one Wachowski who eventually agreed to direct it after first saying no deliberately made it a piece of shit as revenge for Warner Bros virtually forcing them to make it.

Last edited:

rm082e

I saw it the night after it opened. My friends and I took LSD in the afternoon and settled into our seats for a 9:30 show. What an experience.

Trunx81

Joining Welcome Home GIF

he´s totally right. Not knowing was the best thing that could happen to you. Watched it a couple of years ago with my son when he was old enough. Gave him the same "you have to experience it" speech beforehand and his mouth was wide open the whole time. He never watched the sequels, though, so he will never know the downside of this trip.

I remember my uncle telling me about this and how it was so mind-blowing. And then I watched it and I was completely in agreeance.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
I love the three films, but it does feel like the creators use them as a crutch whenever they need attention. Also trying to shoehorn a “this was always about trans experiences” was idiotic.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I wasn't as big on the movie as others but it was definitely a trend setter. I do think the sequels and the wachowskis have retroactively soured it for me.

Solarstrike

Gold Member
ultrazilla ultrazilla and I late father loved this movie (the first Matrix). I remember one time he watching it, he was on the edge of his chair. The part where Morpheus is explaining to Neo what the Matrix is and what it does. How the human body generates energy for the machines. How reality as it was percieved, was a program. My Dad was on the edge of his chair, that scene was so far out there, so incredible. He must have replayed that sequence three times. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Tams

Almost had it ruined by my English teacher as we analysed it to hell and back. But it's so good that it survived even that.

And now I know that the opening sequence is a whole host of homages. I also know what a homage is as a result.

Top Bottom