• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Ministry of Digital Transformation of Ukraine will send an official letter to Sony, Microsoft and Valve to ban the sale of Atomic Heart in Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
cover4.jpg

According to dev.ua, Deputy Minister of Digital Transformation Oleksandr Borniakov commented on the game's release:

"We also call for limiting the distribution of this game in other countries due to its toxicity, potential collection of user data and the possibility of transferring it to third parties in Russia, as well as the potential use of money raised from game purchases to wage war against Ukraine.”

Bornyakov also called for all users to ignore the game. He emphasised to the Western audience that the developers have not issued a public statement condemning the Putin regime and the bloody war that Russia has waged against Ukraine.

cringe GIF

jaysius

Banned
I hope I don’t get banned for saying this, but it’s important to remember that not all Russians are ‘bad,’ and not all Russians support the war. Not everything Russian is instantly bad because they have a fucking madman in power.

Mokus

Recommending not to buy the game is the way they should follow. Banning it might need to waste resources to spy on your own people and turning the whole thing in to a witch hunting.

Pelta88

Jeez at some of the posts here.

Russia invaded a sovereign nation, Ukraine. With the goal of making that country part of theirs. This is fact. Let's not admonish Ukraine for pushing for sanctions at every level. No. I personally don't believe that any game being banned is a good thing. But I understand their reasoning.

Have a smidgen of compassion.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
As a "half Ukrainian" I'd like to say to the apolitical individuals who are enjoying this game: Keep enjoying it, you're not really doing anything wrong. At the same time, don't be surprised that a country who's people has been invaded, murdered, tortured and raped by ruZZia has a wish for limiting a Russian developer who's glorifying soviet and ruZZia, and even has certain ties to sanctioned bodies.

Last edited:

kuncol02

Banned
I hope I don’t get banned for saying this, but it’s important to remember that not all Russians are ‘bad,’ and not all Russians support the war. Not everything Russian is instantly bad because they have a fucking madman in power.
Maybe, but from practical point of view there is no point in checking which one is good.

MMaRsu

Banned
"We also call for limiting the distribution of this game in other countries"
Not that crazy a stance from a Ukranian government official. Also when has anyone from any government been positive about videogames, or knowledgable about the subject?

MMaRsu

Banned
As a "half Ukrainian" I'd like to say to the apolitical individuals who are enjoying this game: Keep enjoying it, you're not really doing anything wrong. At the same time, don't be surprised that a country who's people has been invaded, murdered, tortured and raped by ruZZia has a wish for limiting a Russian developer who's glorifying soviet and ruZZia, and even has certain ties to sanctioned bodies.
Thanks for your post and the best of luck to any Ukranian you know ❤️. I dont think its really glorifying Russia or the USSR though, more like the opposite

samoilaaa

man this fucking world we live in where you have to be scared to say something

so what if it gets you ban , fuck em , fuck all these idiots that are just as braindead as the npcs in cyberpunk

the fucking hipocrisy , certain groups of people can say what they want and we have to bow and respect their mindset but the moment a normal person has an opinion he gets banned/canceled

fuck you and your false freedom

Punished Miku

Gold Member

Russia invaded a sovereign nation, Ukraine. With the goal of making that country part of theirs. This is fact. Let's not admonish Ukraine for pushing for sanctions at every level. No. I personally don't believe that any game being banned. But I understand their reasoning.

I don't have compassion for another country trying to dictate what I get to play. It's a stupid statement that accomplishes the opposite of what they want. Just look at Hogwart's Legacy. Probably not a great idea to try and take away people's video games.

It's virtually the same thing as Bioshock so far from what I've played. That means it's a critique of Soviet utopianism.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
I dont live in a western country so 2 copies for me yeay.
That's a rather stupid comment. I live in a western country, and half my family is Ukrainian. I play Atomic Heart (well, not a lot, but I did play it for a couple of hours here the other night, np). It's about being balanced in life, to not die on useless hills but rather enlighten people when you can. There's not much value in "punishing" regular people. Just look at the couple of posts above me; It just leads to overreactions. No one is dictating anyone.

Last edited:

Roberts

As a fellow 25% Ukrainian who plays the game, I can assure you that it doesn't glorify Soviet system, its past, etc. Ridicules some aspects of it, just not in some meaningful way.

Anyway, I can totally understand Ukraine writing the letter. They have every right to do so even though it feels misguided.

Last edited:

Needlecrash

Agreed. The will of the people doesn't necessarily reflect the will of the government. Just because a madman is in power doesn't mean everyone follows or believes him.

Russia invaded a sovereign nation, Ukraine. With the goal of making that country part of theirs. This is fact. Let's not admonish Ukraine for pushing for sanctions at every level. No. I personally don't believe that any game being banned is a good thing. But I understand their reasoning.

Think of the poor russians who have kept this clown in power for 20+ years though.

nemiroff

Gold Member
As a fellow 25% Ukrainian who plays the game, I can assure you that it doesn't glorify Soviet system, its past, etc. Ridicules some aspects of it, just not in some meaningful way.

Anyway, I can totally understand Ukraine writing the letter. They have every right to do so.

Duly noted. Thanks for yours and RyuCookingSomeRice's friendly correction.

Now im gonna buy the game

We can easily tell you didn't really understand the story or the world, neither did you read the thread. This is more like a follow up on sanctions from an invaded country. Stakeholders in the game (not necessarily the developers) have ties to sanctioned people and companies, thus in theory money from the game could end up contributing to the funding of the invasion. That's all. No need to overreact, very few (if any) in this thread is trying to make other people here feel bad about enjoying the game.

Last edited:

MH3M3D

I have compassion for the people, not for the unelected regime that takes orders from NATO.

nemiroff

Gold Member
I have compassion for the people, not for the unelected regime that takes orders from NATO.

As someone who's been going to Ukraine for the last 15 years and know Ukraine inside out that's completely false and an utterly ridiculous thing to say. Ukraine threw out their puppet master, and he and his henchmen are of course living in ruZZia now.. Not because the people wanted NATO, not because "NATO initiated an unrest", but because especially the younger people wanted closer to the west and the EU (not exactly difficult to sense if you knew anything about Ukraine), they just didn't identify with russia anymore, and had no reason to. At that point Ukraine had already been transitioning and re-establishing their identity in their own sovereign country (fighting corruption, throwing out russian inserted puppets, Ukrainian finally being their official language, etc.) for more than a generation. After that the people of Ukraine has been democratically changing their government regularly. Zelenskyy was elected by the people, but wasn't even popular before the war because the people didn't think he was efficient enough. But this completely crosses the border for political discussion on this board IMO, so I'll leave it there.

Last edited:

MH3M3D

As someone who's been going to Ukraine for the last 15 years and know Ukraine inside out that's completely false and an utterly ridiculous thing to say. Ukraine threw out their puppet master, and he and his henchmen are of course living in ruZZia now.. Not because the people wanted NATO, not because "NATO initiated an unrest", but because especially the younger people wanted closer to the west and the EU (not exactly difficult to sense if you knew anything about Ukraine), they just didn't identify with russia anymore, and had no reason to. At that point Ukraine had already been transitioning and re-establishing their identity in their own sovereign country (fighting corruption, throwing out russian inserted puppets, Ukrainian finally being their official language, etc.) for more than a generation. After that the people of Ukraine has been democratically changing their government regularly. Zelenskyy was elected by the people, but wasn't even popular before the war because the people didn't think he was efficient enough. But this completely crosses the border for political discussion on this board IMO, so I'll leave it there.
There's a an enormous difference between not identifying with Russia anymore and trying to join NATO. An organization who has done nothing but destroy nations since it was created. Whats left of Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya and Syria? Is it so hard to imagine why Putin doesn't want that nightmare on its border? Not saying Ukraine is better off being a client state of Russia, but actively becoming it's enemy isn't smart either. That's why I blame the regime, not the people. It's obvious that only NATO wants this war to go on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom