• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Yorker: How Ivanka Trump and Donald Trump, Jr., Avoided a Criminal Indictment

chadskin

In the spring of 2012, Donald Trump's two eldest children, Ivanka Trump and Donald Trump, Jr., found themselves in a precarious legal position. For two years, prosecutors in the Manhattan District Attorney's office had been building a criminal case against them for misleading prospective buyers of units in the Trump SoHo, a hotel and condo development that was failing to sell. Despite the best efforts of the siblings' defense team, the case had not gone away. An indictment seemed like a real possibility. The evidence included e-mails from the Trumps making clear that they were aware they were using inflated figures about how well the condos were selling to lure buyers.

In one e-mail, according to four people who have seen it, the Trumps discussed how to coördinate false information they had given to prospective buyers. In another, according to a person who read the e-mails, they worried that a reporter might be on to them. In yet another, Donald, Jr., spoke reassuringly to a broker who was concerned about the false statements, saying that nobody would ever find out, because only people on the e-mail chain or in the Trump Organization knew about the deception, according to a person who saw the e-mail. There was ”no doubt" that the Trump children ”approved, knew of, agreed to, and intentionally inflated the numbers to make more sales," one person who saw the e-mails told us. ”They knew it was wrong."

In 2010, when the Major Economic Crimes Bureau of the D.A.'s office opened an investigation of the siblings, the Trump Organization had hired several top New York criminal-defense lawyers to represent Donald, Jr., and Ivanka. These attorneys had met with prosecutors in the bureau several times. They conceded that their clients had made exaggerated claims, but argued that the overstatements didn't amount to criminal misconduct. Still, the case dragged on. In a meeting with the defense team, Donald Trump, Sr., expressed frustration that the investigation had not been closed. Soon after, his longtime personal lawyer, Marc Kasowitz, entered the case.

Kasowitz, who by then had been the elder Donald Trump's attorney for a decade, is primarily a civil litigator, with little experience in criminal matters. But, in 2012, Kasowitz donated twenty-five thousand dollars to the reëlection campaign of the Manhattan District Attorney, Cyrus Vance, Jr., making Kasowitz one of Vance's largest donors. Kasowitz decided to bypass the lower-level prosecutors and went directly to Vance to ask that the investigation be dropped.

On May 16, 2012, Kasowitz visited Vance's office at One Hogan Place, in downtown Manhattan—a faded edifice made famous by the television show ”Law & Order." Dan Alonso, the Chief Assistant District Attorney, and Adam Kaufmann, the chief of the investigative division, were also at the meeting, but no one from the Major Economic Crimes Bureau attended. Kasowitz did not introduce any new arguments or facts during his session. He simply repeated the arguments that the other defense lawyers had been making for months.

Ultimately, Vance overruled his own prosecutors. Three months after the meeting, he told them to drop the case. Kasowitz subsequently boasted to colleagues about representing the Trump children, according to two people. He said that the case was ”really dangerous," one person said, and that it was ”amazing I got them off." (Kasowitz denied making such a statement.)

Vance defended his decision. ”I did not at the time believe beyond a reasonable doubt that a crime had been committed," he told us. ”I had to make a call and I made the call, and I think I made the right call."

Just before the 2012 meeting, Vance's campaign had returned Kasowitz's twenty-five-thousand-dollar contribution, in keeping with what Vance describes as standard practice when a donor has a case before his office. Kasowitz ”had no influence, and his contributions had no influence whatsoever on my decision-making in the case," Vance said.

But, less than six months after the D.A.'s office dropped the case, Kasowitz made an even larger donation to Vance's campaign, and helped raise more from others—eventually, a total of more than fifty thousand dollars. After being asked about these donations as part of the reporting for this article—more than four years after the fact—Vance said he now plans to give back Kasowitz's second contribution, too. ”I don't want the money to be a millstone around anybody's neck, including the office's," he said.

Kasowitz told us that his donations to Vance were unrelated to the case. ”I donated to Cy Vance's campaign because I was and remain extremely impressed by him as a person of impeccable integrity, as a brilliant lawyer and as a public servant with creative ideas and tremendous ability," Kasowitz wrote in an e-mailed statement. ”I have never made a contribution to anyone's campaign, including Cy Vance's, as a ‘quid-pro-quo' for anything."

Last year, the Times reported the existence of the criminal investigation into the Trump SoHo project. But the prosecutor's focus on Ivanka and Donald, Jr., and the e-mail evidence against them, as well as Kasowitz's involvement, and Vance's decision to overrule his prosecutors, had not previously been made public. This account is based on interviews with twenty sources familiar with the investigation, court records, and other public documents. We were not able to review copies of the e-mails that were the focal point of the inquiry. We are relying on the accounts of multiple individuals who have seen them.
https://www.newyorker.com/news/news...ld-trump-jr-avoided-a-criminal-indictment/amp

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Fucking Vance. I’ll admit that I’m not sure whether the allegations could be considered criminal, but fucking Vance. Now I have less faith that he’ll do anything if Mueller asks him to press charges. Hopefully a case such as Mueller’s would be too big to ignore.

Betty

Banned

They could find video evidence of Ivanka and Jr committing a murder and even if their dad wasn't President they'd still find a way to get off scott free.

Rich & powerful people almost never see the inside of a prison.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
They could find video evidence of Ivanka and Jr committing a murder and even if their dad wasn't President they'd still find a way to get off scott free.

Rich & powerful people almost never see the inside of a prison.
Let’s wait and see on this one.

:)

Culex

Banned
"I assure you that that bribe I accepted for my campaign was not a bribe, and HOW DARE YOU find out about it!"

jmood88

All of this is fucking disgusting. Rich white people routinely break the law, pay people off, then go on with their lives while everyone else suffers for minor crimes.

cameron

hite-collar criminal cases are often challenging to bring because of their complexity. And, by the time of the April meeting, prosecutors knew that they faced another impediment, this one created by legal maneuvers in the Trumps' civil case. Five months earlier, the Trumps and their partners had reached a settlement with the disgruntled buyers. The defendants agreed to return ninety per cent of the buyers' deposits, plus their attorneys' fees. But they extracted a rare concession in return: the plaintiffs agreed not to coöperate with prosecutors unless they were subpoenaed. (Garten, the Trump Organization's chief legal officer, noted that the settlement terms were confidential and declined to comment on them.)
Another fucked up bit with these types of cases.

Vance defended his decision to accept the money Kasowitz sent his way. ”We did the right thing," he said, referring to the decision to drop the case. ”Another five and a half months go by. Marc Kasowitz has no matter pending before the office for the Trumps or anybody else. It's 2013 and it's an election—and I welcome his support." Vance noted that New York law allowed him to accept such a contribution. Still, he now intends to return the money to Kasowitz.
Such sacrifice. That'll fix everything!

Preezy

All of this is fucking disgusting. Rich white people routinely break the law, pay people off, then go on with their lives while everyone else suffers for minor crimes.
This isn't just something white people do, stop being racist.

Mask

Wut. Calling out rich white people for getting away with horrible stuff isn't racist, it's just pointing out that they use their money and privilege to escape punishment.

Jake.

ivanka in particular makes my skin fucking crawl as she tries to (badly) come across as a 'normal' relatable woman and mother. at least the others don't front.

jmood88

Man think if reporters had actually done their job during the election.
It has been really frustrating to see Maggie Haberman and Glenn Thrush, among others, get so defensive when people talk about the shortcomings of their reporting on the Trump campaign.

rjinaz

Pointing out reality isn't racist. Rich White people DO get away with things others, like me, would do hard time for.

It seems you read it like "only White people that are rich are horrible people", I'm just not sure why you read it that way.

This family is scum. Even if they get away with out doing time, I hope their empire becomes toxic once Trump is out of office.

It has been really frustrating to see Maggie Haberman and Glenn Thrush, among others, get so defensive when people talk about the shortcomings of their reporting on the Trump campaign.

How can you dig into this when the political story of the century needs reporting on!?! Those emails weren't gonna report on themselves.

Mahonay

Banned
That makes her hotter. It's like a dangerous animal, way more exciting than a docile one.

whats-wrong-with-you.gif

iammeiam

The whole thing hinges on the Trump family's ongoing belief that truth is for stupid/poor people, and saying whatever the fuck they want is totally cool:

Business was slow, but the Trump family claimed the opposite. In April, 2008, they said that thirty-one per cent of the condos in the building had been purchased. Donald, Jr., boasted to The Real Deal magazine that fifty-five per cent of the units had been bought. In June, 2008, Donald, Jr., and Ivanka, alongside their brother Eric, gathered the foreign press at Trump Tower in Manhattan, where Ivanka announced that sixty per cent had been snapped up. “We’re in a very fortunate position where we have enough sales, and now we are strategically targeting certain buyers,” she said.

None of that was true. According to a sworn affidavit by a Trump partner filed with the New York Attorney General’s office, by March of 2010, almost two years after the press conference, only 15.8 per cent of units had been sold.

This was more than a marketing problem. The deal hinged on selling at least fifteen per cent of the units. By law, the sales couldn’t close with anything less. The Trumps and their partners would have had to return the buyers’ down payments.

The Trump SoHo went into foreclosure in 2014 and was taken over by a creditor. Only a hundred and twenty-eight of the three hundred and ninety-one units in the building have sold. That comes out to around thirty-three per cent.

They have clearly learned well from their father.

I don't know what's worse: The fact that they basically used scare tactics to stop lawsuits, or that this doesn't even surprise me.

Enzom21

Isn't the whole family tree filled with criminals?

Folks should look at Preezy's post history and then promptly ignore everything he says about race. Basura.

I'm surprised at this point, since EVERYONE knows the Trump family's MO, that someone hasn't entrapped them. At this point it should be like shooting fish in a barrel.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
The DA needs to be removed from office and the investigation needs to be opened back up by a new DA.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
This isn't honestly surprising. Trump SoHo has been the filming location for stupid amounts of TV shows and movies because the fucking thing is EMPTY.

cameron

In one e-mail, according to four people who have seen it, the Trumps discussed how to coördinate false information they had given to prospective buyers. In another, according to a person who read the e-mails, they worried that a reporter might be on to them. In yet another, Donald, Jr., spoke reassuringly to a broker who was concerned about the false statements, saying that nobody would ever find out, because only people on the e-mail chain or in the Trump Organization knew about the deception, according to a person who saw the e-mail. There was ”no doubt" that the Trump children ”approved, knew of, agreed to, and intentionally inflated the numbers to make more sales," one person who saw the e-mails told us. ”They knew it was wrong."
Junior and his crew probably have (had?) this level of confidence regarding their interaction with the Russian lawyer and whatever other shady shit they've done.

platocplx

Trump has done this more than once. Same thing happened in florida with pam bondi. Its crazy how shitty the legal system is and there are two versions one for the rich and one for everyone else.

Disgusting, but not surprising. Can’t imagine how many cases this family has bought their way out of over the years. I experienced this exactly once as a prosecutor, someone pulling rank on me after a chat with a donor defense attorney on a sex crimes case. I can’t prove exactly what went down, but I can read between the lines on things. I quit a few months later when I found another job, nothing more demoralizing than realizing you’re getting played. Good thing mueller is working on this and the ny ag can handle state level charges, hopefully at least on the latter part.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I mean why wouldn't this shit family not attempt all these things they've done when they can buy a DA? The Mueller investigation does feel like all the chickens coming home to roost but it still remains to be seen of it'll reach Donald.

chadskin

Top Bottom