• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official DS RPG Ownage Thread

linsivvi

Jiggy37 said:
On the downside, the difficulty isn't as high as I'd like it to be anymore--once I got the third character it's been pretty smooth sailing, except when fighting bosses. (I almost wonder if it was supposed to be smooth sailing from the beginning and I just didn't know because I was a Light character fighting predominantly at night.) The battles are mostly still kept interesting by the timed actions and also by what I just said: the fact that they're not that common, so you're not going to be fighting the same enemies over and over again. I can't say I've seen any enemies get old yet, which is rare in even some of the best RPGs.

Do not worry about the difficulty. Not at all. Because:

The bonus dungeon is as insane as it gets. A party that can beat the final boss could easily get whipped within a couple hits in the first few floors of the bonus dungeon

jeremy1456

Eroding_Era said:
Contact rocks. Buy it. Now. Before you can't find this anymore, like it seems every good DS game does. Go. Now.

And don't avoid this just because it doesn't say 'Mana,' 'Final Fantasy,' or 'Square-Enix' on it. I know you're all suckers for those even if you don't admit it.

Why are you still here? I said GO.

Do people still actually talk like this?

I mean, I thought the idea of making yourself sound hardcore by telling people to get something non-mainstream was always hilarious.

ethelred

Kodiak said:
Hey guys, I'm buying FFIII instead of Gears of War.

Shit no I'm not.

I can't decide.

Yeah, I was considering that too, to be honest. I mean, I took a look at the two games and read all that I could about them, and in the end, it just doesn't seem like FFIII is going to be nearly as good a third-person shooter as Gears of War is going to be. So what possible incentive could I have to get the former? :/

Sorry to revive this fossil of a thread, but since I still can't make new posts and won't be able to for a while (GAAAAAH!!!!1) there's something that's been bothering me for a few hours.

What the hell is the deal with Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates for DS? It says it's out December 1st (WHICH IS FRIKKIN' TOMORROW) and is listed with that date on IGN and GameShtup and several other places.
There's only a handful of blurry ass pics and no info on this game whatsoever.
Or maybe it's been smacked with the delay hammer again and I haven't noticed and still hold the ridiculous hope that a new Final Fantasy game for DS will come out tomorrow.
Regardless if it's been delayed or not, there's no new date, no new pics, no new info, NOTHING.

What the hell.

Somebody care to enlighten me?

I'm surprised with Tales of the Tempest!
Regardless of what many says, I like it a LOT! Thus the graphic engine is the best I've seen on a DS so far! FF3 looks crap compared to TotT!

Oh, and what about Shin Megami Tensei DS? Atlus announced it a year ago...

Ashodin

Kaiser Dämmerung said:
Sorry to revive this fossil of a thread, but since I still can't make new posts and won't be able to for a while (GAAAAAH!!!!1) there's something that's been bothering me for a few hours.

What the hell is the deal with Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates for DS? It says it's out December 1st (WHICH IS FRIKKIN' TOMORROW) and is listed with that date on IGN and GameShtup and several other places.
There's only a handful of blurry ass pics and no info on this game whatsoever.
Or maybe it's been smacked with the delay hammer again and I haven't noticed and still hold the ridiculous hope that a new Final Fantasy game for DS will come out tomorrow.
Regardless if it's been delayed or not, there's no new date, no new pics, no new info, NOTHING.

What the hell.

Somebody care to enlighten me?
Pushed back. Info for it and the WIi version will be known soon, I'd wager. Both games probably are going to come out around each other to promote the other.

Nibelung Valesti said:
I'm surprised with Tales of the Tempest!
Regardless of what many says, I like it a LOT! Thus the graphic engine is the best I've seen on a DS so far! FF3 looks crap compared to TotT!

Oh, and what about Shin Megami Tensei DS? Atlus announced it a year ago...

Try nearly 3 years ago.. :\

I want a real SMT game for the DS, with SMT artwork. >.<

iPod_DS.jpg

An obvious fake, but a clever idea.
If anyone can read spanish (I can't) check out this link
http://www.p-nintendo.com/articles/D-632-1.html

Maxrpg said:
"Revenant Wings tells the story of Vaan and Panelo, two of the main characters from FFXII. Vaan is 18 years old in the game, and has just fulfilled his dream of getting his own airship. He keeps himself free of politics and family life and travels around as a sky pirate. The 17-year-old Panelo serves as his navigator. Together they fly across the land, seeking adventure."

No idea what this game will be like. But hey, it's another Square RPG! Where could you go wrong. And this most certainly should be better than FFX-2.

Bullshit.

Deku

Banned
So junior members just post their threads into another random thread since they can't make a new one?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I guess since you bumped this I can post this here:
Natsume Inc., a worldwide publisherof interactive entertainment software, today announced plans to publish Rune Factory: A Fantasy Harvest Moon for the Nintendo DS™ and Innocent Life: A Futuristic Harvest Moon for the PSP® (PlayStation® Portable). Both titles are expected to ship in North America during the 2nd quarter of 2007.

Rune Factory: A Fantasy Harvest Moon and Innocent Life: A Futuristic Harvest Moon are based on the popular series of Harvest Moon, where one must build and cultivate a farm while at the same time build a life with family and friends. However, these two titles offer new and exciting differences from the Harvest Moon franchise with new worlds.

“Natsume is very excited to be releasing these two all-new titles that are part of the Harvest Moon universe, but are very different from past released Harvest Moon games,” remarked Hiro Maekawa, President and CEO of Natsume Inc. “In
addition to our traditional Harvest Moon franchise that fans have come to love, we hope these two new franchises will expand the Harvest Moon universe by offering great stories and top-quality game play!”

Rune Factory: A Fantasy Harvest Moon

You awaken to find yourself in an unfamiliar village with no memory of who you are or how you arrived. Mist, a beautiful young woman comes to your aid and helps you start to build a life for yourself…on a farm. Till the land, grow crops, raise animals, catch fish and battle monsters! Battling against fierce beasts is very important for your survival, but making friends with them is essential for your farm life. Your life on the farm slowly starts to reawaken your memories of the past…

Innocent Life: A Futuristic Harvest Moon

Dr. Hope, an old scholar lives on an island in the southern hemisphere. You are his son and your father has set you on a journey to the ancient ruins to try and run a farm. With technology being as advanced as it is, many have forgotten what it is like to grow something or take care of a living animal. It is your father’s dream that you will unlock the secrets of the ancient ruins and find the meaning of “life”. Grow crops, care for livestock, interact with the many villagers and explore a futuristic world as you try to unlock the many mysterious surrounding you.

ethelred

jj984jj said:

Awesome. I'd been interested in trying out Rune Factory, so it's nice that it'll be coming to the US. Nice that it's getting a Q2 release, too... I was kinda disgusted last year with how every single game got crammed into the last quarter or so of the year, but it looks like 2007 will be seeing a much more egalitarian distribution.

February: Lunar Knights, Izuna
March: Spectrobes
April: Pokemon Diamond/Pearl, Chocobo
May: Etrian Odyssey
Q2: Rune Factory

Hopefully Tingle will get a US release in Q2 also (if not, there's Europe).

GreenGlowingGoo said:
Wow, we're getting Rune Factory? Well, that's not really too big of a surprise, considering it did pretty good in Japan. I've never heard of Natsume though. I was expecting Marvelous to be the one to publish it here. Now this Natsume company just has to publish the DS or PSP uncharted water game, and I'll be happy!

Natsume publishes pretty much all the Harvest Moon games in the US.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
jj984jj said:

Wow, we're getting Rune Factory? Well, that's not really too big of a surprise, considering it did pretty good in Japan. I've never heard of Natsume though. I was expecting Marvelous to be the one to publish it here. Now this Natsume company just has to publish the DS or PSP uncharted water game, and I'll be happy!

edit: Huh, after looking up older harvest moons, it seems they pulished it here too (or helped publish, IGN says both Marvelous and Natsume).

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
PhoenixDark said:
Is FFIII worth the extra $5? I kinda want to get it, but on the other hand I want FFV too, and definitely FFVI when it comes out

I definitely think so, if you're turned off by really classic gameplay, then maybe not. There is a lot of grinding, but some really good battles. And some dungeons just kick your ass if you're not prepared. The plot is pretty straight forward too, don't expect too much depth. BUT, taken as a classic, yes, 5 bucks is a small extra price to pay.

TreIII

Chris Michael said:
Try nearly 3 years ago.. :\

I want a real SMT game for the DS, with SMT artwork. >.<

Well, look on the bright side. If Etrian Odyssey does well enough, that probably will be all the more reason for Atlus to look into doing something MegaTen related on the DS. Especially since some of the same capable dudes are working on Etrian too, and would then have adequate experience with the DS behind them. :D

Although, even in that regard...my heart still would like nothing more than to see a sequel to Majin Tensei on the DS...

By the way, ASH. Last week's mag news thread yielded that the game may be in the last spurt of development. Think we might get any thing else this week? I'm hoping for a few new pictures, more story/character disclosure...or at least an ideal release date.

ethelred

TreIII said:
Well, look on the bright side. If Etrian Odyssey does well enough, that probably will be all the more reason for Atlus to look into doing something MegaTen related on the DS. Especially since some of the same capable dudes are working on Etrian too, and would then have adequate experience with the DS behind them. :D

Although, even in that regard...my heart still would like nothing more than to see a sequel to Majin Tensei on the DS...

I'd love to see Majin Tensei on the DS... as far as R&D1 stuff goes. But I'd also love to see Atlus get CareerSoft cracking on a DS or Wii Growlanser game. Though, I guess Heroes of Mana and FFXII: Revenant Wings will satisfy that desire to an extent, with the real time movement... so yeah, Majin Tensei.

And yeah. If you read that spurt of info ducky translated on Etrian Odyssey, Atlus specifically mentioned that they're looking closely at their experiences with Etrian Odyssey to see about the idea of Shin Megami Tensei on the DS. So I hope it turns out extremely well.

I kind of think they will make one, at this point. They seem to have, from what they've been saying, really pushed the hardware to an extensive degree with Etrian Odyssey and got a solid mastering of it, and I think DQIX's presence on the DS will spur a lot of other develoeprs to go ahead with plans for major RPGs on the system.

TreIII said:
By the way, ASH. Last week's mag news thread yielded that the game may be in the last spurt of development. Think we might get any thing else this week? I'm hoping for a few new pictures, more story/character disclosure...or at least an ideal release date.

There was no new pictures or anything, though there was a spread on the game... not much new info, though. Ducky mentioned a few things... let's see.

He said the game is kind of like half traditional RPG, half tactical RPG. He mentioned it maybe having dungeons... said the music and the visuals are done, and they're currently working on character growth balancing, party assembly, and some of the field and combat areas.

ethelred said:
Awesome. I'd been interested in trying out Rune Factory, so it's nice that it'll be coming to the US. Nice that it's getting a Q2 release, too... I was kinda disgusted last year with how every single game got crammed into the last quarter or so of the year, but it looks like 2007 will be seeing a much more egalitarian distribution.

February: Lunar Knights, Izuna
March: Spectrobes
April: Pokemon Diamond/Pearl, Chocobo
May: Etrian Odyssey
Q2: Rune Factory

Don't overlook "Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords" in March. Sort of a Puzzle Game (like Bejewelled)/RPG. It's the game I'm the most excited about (though I'll be getting the PSP version)

Top Bottom