• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Private Detective Who Ignited A Clinton Conspiracy Theory Says He Was Misquoted

https://www.buzzfeed.com/claudiakoe...ton-conspiracy?utm_term=.gjoN8mrr4#.rwpVDJWWO

Private investigator Rod Wheeler has walked back an explosive claim, which conveniently dominated Right Wing media yesterday as Trump faced ever growing scandals, that DNC staffer Seth Rich was in contact with Wikileaks before he was killed.

The story lit up conservative news outlets and social media: A private investigator working with the family of a late Democratic National Committee staffer said he could confirm long-simmering conspiracy theories that the 27-year-old was killed after sending emails to WikiLeaks.

Less than 24 hours later, the investigator told BuzzFeed News that he couldn't confirm anything at all.

On a television news segment that aired in Washington, DC, on Monday, private investigator Rod Wheeler was interviewed by a reporter. "You have sources at the FBI saying that there is information that could link Seth Rich to WikiLeaks?" she asks.

"Absolutely," Wheeler responds. "And that's confirmed."

"My investigation up to this point shows there was some degree of email exchange between Seth Rich and WikiLeaks,” Wheeler also said, according to a Fox News report.

But on Tuesday, Wheeler told BuzzFeed News that he had no personal knowledge of whether Rich sent emails to a contact at WikiLeaks.

"That story on Fox 5 last night was inaccurate," said Wheeler, a former DC homicide detective. "I don't even know where the computers are."

Mugsy

It doesn't matter to the conspiracy theorists at this point, any evidence against the conspiracy will be dismissed as being part of the conspiracy.

Permanently A

If only we had some kind of label for this type of reporting that wasn't frivolously thrown around. Hmm... maybe something like "false reporting" or "Counterfeit articles" ?

Fast forward to the last three paragraphs of the article, chief.

As for those spreading conspiracy theories around Rich's death, Wheeler said it wasn't helpful. "I'm disappointed," he said. "It doesn't help catch the bad guy."

Shortly after that conversation, Wheeler appeared on Fox News.

"I don't know for sure, I don't know as a matter of fact if the emails went out to the WikiLeaks or anybody else," Wheeler told Sean Hannity. "But it sure appears that way."

"It sure appears that way" is baseless speculation. "Absolutely. And that's confirmed," is, well, absolutely confirming something. Still a walkback.

Rayis

I mean, I find what these conservatives and alt-right shitbags are doing to be incredibly sad and desperate, they've no leg to stand on so they revive conspiracies and " scandals" from election time to divert attention from their lord and savior Trump's many fuckups. It's pathetic.

Sounds like the Clintons have his family in the basement somewhere covered in gas with a lighter ready to light them up if he speaks the glorious truth

I feel so bad for the Rich family for having their son's death being the subject of braindead conspiracy nonsense by the far right and far left.

I look forward to shitting on Sean Hannity's grave.

"It sure appears that way" is baseless speculation. "Absolutely. And that's confirmed," is, well, absolutely confirming something. Still a walkback.

The point is he's speaking out of both sides of his mouth and I'll not believe a word he says, including his claim of being misquoted. I'm of the opinion that he probably told the Fox affiliate exactly what they reported. He can walk it back, walk back the walk back, moonwalk straight into walking the dinosaur, but he doesn't appear to be reputable in any regard.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Couldn't the Clintons sue this guy into oblivion?

PnCIa

Reddits most famous racist hideout was full of "remember his name" type of stuff. This wont shake them.

I'm still confused. Did he actually say he had information in a live TV interview and now he's backtracking? Or did Fox just quote him saying as such and he's claiming Fox misquoted him?

Top Bottom