• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher (Netflix) Season 5 will be the last

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
In 2 season? lmao

Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF
Great picture usage.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It's sad, this series was really promising when it first started. And Cavill was great. But they had to fuck it up.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Netflix has officially renewed The Witcher for a fifth and final season as filming commences on Season 4 of the hit fantasy drama.

The renewal announcement from Netflix coincided with the news that The Witcher's fourth (and now penultimate) season has entered production in the UK. Images from a recent table read offer fans a sneak peek at new and returning cast members, including Liam Hemsworth, who is taking over the role of Geralt of Rivia.

The Witcher secured a fourth season renewal in October 2022, but Netflix has only now given Season 5 the greenlight. The two seasons will be filmed back-to-back and will adapt the remainder of Andrzej Sapkowski's books, Baptism of Fire, The Tower of the Swallow, and Lady of the Lake, to conclude the TV adaptation.

The tweet looks like it struggles to say anything positive, the quotes aren't much different, and the table read looks awkward and forced. That was the best footage they got?

I don't get the impression that anyone from start to finish particularly cares about any of it.

JayK47

They really did fuck this one up big time. The first season was decent and had a ton of potential. Then it went to complete shit. The last season was just so fucking hard to watch. I cannot imagine the next 2 seasons being any better. Somehow they will be worse.

I loved the first season even with its inconsistencies, second season had some flaws, but was still watchable. But the third season? Holy hell what did they do to this adaptation. Stopped after just a few episodes and I'm pretty much done with this garbage. They had a perfectly cast witcher, and ciri was also pretty decent, but then the writers just murdered everything. How the hell do you mess this up? All they needed was a faithful adaptation of the books, with plenty of game specific references for gaming fans and boom they could have taken this thing to 7 or 8 seasons with no issue. What a fucking waste.

Pelao

I dropped this show after the second season.
I don't want to know how badly they adapted everything after Blood of Elves.

It seems that Netflix and Disney are incapable of understanding the notion that a camel is a horse designed by commitee.

If you drag a writers room together of people with different views on everything deliberately - many of whom want to rewrite the source material, you get a complete mess. Just get competent writers who share a love of the source material or are able to be respectful to it. You need a creative vision.

It would be impossible for Star Wars or Lord of the Rings to be made now. They’d need to shoehorn another 10 characters to pander to everyone, tell their stories and make them 12 hour series rather than 2 to 3 hour movies.

Last edited:

FeralEcho

It seems that Netflix and Disney are incapable of understanding the notion that a camel is a horse designed by commitee.

If you drag a writers room together of people with different views on everything deliberately - many of whom want to rewrite the source material, you get a complete mess. Just get competent writers who share a love of the source material or are able to be respectful to it. You need a creative vision.

It would be impossible for Star Wars or Lord of the Rings to be made now. They’d need to shoehorn another 10 characters to pander to everyone, tell their stories and make them 12 hour series rather than 2 to 3 hour movies.
Diversity and inclusion represents the death of creativity and passion. When you are confined to having a certain amount of characters that are a certain ethnicity or having a specific gender then your whole creative story goes tits up as you now have to think within the confines of the box you've created.Diversity is literally like putting shackles on your self as a writter.

That's why I stay as far away from anything woke since what all those projects have are fucking checklists and propaganda not stories and certainly not characters. It's no different than watching an election,everyone involved knows it's all bullshit but they want to peddle it to the people anyway and they make sure it's wrapped in a nice box so you won't realize the smell of shit until it is too late which is what happened to Disney and Marvel Studios fans but now everyone and their mother knows it's bullshit,up to even the higher ups at Disney but they are all intent to die on this hill of shit it seems even despite knowing the viewers are now onto what they try to peddle.

The Netflix Witcher show will die a slow painful death as viewership begins to dwindle even more from the abysmal numbers it has and the only good thing about it is knowing Netflix will lose alot of money and all the writters involved will have this shitstain on their resume.

Last edited:
The tweet looks like it struggles to say anything positive, the quotes aren't much different, and the table read looks awkward and forced. That was the best footage they got?

I don't get the impression that anyone from start to finish particularly cares about any of it.
That picture reminds me of that last season GoT picture where the actors were reading the script.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Can anyone explain what happened with Cavill? I thought he left the show to focus on DCU then they cut him out of the DCU or something like that. Why didnt he go back then? Anyways I stopped watching the show during or after Season 2 I forget but I was always curious about the politics around his exit.

Svejk

Gonna be devil's advocate too and just say it... The girl they chose to play Yennifer was absolutely horrible.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Such a shame that this series had writers who were more interested in DEI than respecting the source material. Henry Cavill carried this show for a while. The first season was OK, but everything after that was trash.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Can anyone explain what happened with Cavill? I thought he left the show to focus on DCU then they cut him out of the DCU or something like that. Why didnt he go back then? Anyways I stopped watching the show during or after Season 2 I forget but I was always curious about the politics around his exit.

I'm not sure if he's openly stated his reasons for leaving (besides wanting to reprise his role as Superman) or declining to return, but it's well known that he was in conflict with the showrunner Lauren Hissrich and the writer's room over their continuous disregard for the source material. Cavill is a huge fan of TW3 and read through the entire book series after playing the game, and he stated in every interview his primary desire was to see the source material faithfully adapted. Hissrich and her writers, on the other hand, apparently thought they could do "better" ... and failed miserably.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I'm not sure if he's openly stated his reasons for leaving (besides wanting to reprise his role as Superman) or declining to return, but it's well known that he was in conflict with the showrunner Lauren Hissrich and the writer's room over their continuous disregard for the source material. Cavill is a huge fan of TW3 and read through the entire book series after playing the game, and he stated in every interview his primary desire was to see the source material faithfully adapted. Hissrich and her writers, on the other hand, apparently thought they could do "better" ... and failed miserably.

If that is true then he is a real one for sure.

DaciaJC

Gold Member

It might be a while before we hear concrete reasons from Cavill or Hissrich themselves due to NDAs or whatever, but yeah, there are plenty of interviews where he expressed dissatisfaction with the way Geralt was written for the show or certain other writing choices. For example:

Neither Cavill nor the show's creators have given a reason for his departure.

However, in 2021, Cavill told the Philippine Star that he struggled to find a "balance between the showrunners' vision and my love for the books," and asked for several changes to his character in season two.

"The things that I pushed for, it was not necessarily just more dialogue. It was bringing a more book-accurate Geralt to the screen. Because as I'm sure you know in the books, Geralt is an amateur philosopher," he said. "He's an intellectual. He's wise and thoughtful. Yes, he's at times morose, morbid, and snarky. But it's important for me to have the character be three-dimensional."

He added: "All of my asks and requests were along the lines of just being faithful to the source material."

StereoVsn

I loved the first season even with its inconsistencies, second season had some flaws, but was still watchable. But the third season? Holy hell what did they do to this adaptation. Stopped after just a few episodes and I'm pretty much done with this garbage. They had a perfectly cast witcher, and ciri was also pretty decent, but then the writers just murdered everything. How the hell do you mess this up? All they needed was a faithful adaptation of the books, with plenty of game specific references for gaming fans and boom they could have taken this thing to 7 or 8 seasons with no issue. What a fucking waste.
From what I could tell the writers kind of hated the source material and most of the characters. Hence the shit show that we got lost Season 1.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Gonna be devil's advocate too and just say it... The girl they chose to play Yennifer was absolutely horrible.
I dunno, in S1 I think she did a pretty good job and she is certainly attractive enough. But they DEFINITELY didn't get the essence of Yennifer and wasted her in S2 (pretty much that whole season was lost due to setting up that failed prequel, I think) and by S3 it was too late because the damage was done. Any chemistry she had with Cavill to power the Geralt/Yen romance was fizzled and the shift over to all the politicking, leaving Geralt largely out, was the death kneel. That the actress staying in pretty good shape but never had scenes like in S1 hurt as well; sensuality, salacious nudity, and eroticism are key elements for making shows like this work, IMHO, otherwise the dramatic writing needs to be ABSOLUTELY TOP TIER and that ain't happening by any stretch of the imagination.

Now a more traditionally casted Yen with more emphasis on her and Geralts tumultuous relationship probably would have gotten more folks on board for much longer, you can see the excitement for the show straight up fizzle when their romance did.

Hardensoul

Witcher was greenlit for 7 seasons. Cavill contract was for 3 but had options to to stay for all 7.

But we saw how showrunner ruined the story veering off the source materials. Cavill opted out! Really don’t blame Cavill.

I was done after seeing season2. I don’t even bother with S3.

manfestival

so like I have only watched the first season and I enjoyed that. Should I even bother watching anymore of the show or just let it be and move on?

Who is still watching it? I enjoyed the first season, but had to quit during season 2, it was just so boring at that point. So from my point of view, I am surprised it got 5 seasons..

DanielG165

Stopped caring when it was announced that Cavill was leaving. You had the most passionate dude towards the Witcher IP cast as Geralt, and you don’t utilize nor listen to him in order to make a better show? Did the show runners simply not want to have big viewership numbers, and make money? I feel bad for the other actors who have to stick with this corpse, but am glad that Cavill left when he did.

Hopefully, he can get his Warhammer project off the ground and have it be a massive success. The man deserves it after being burned by both this, and WB regarding the DCEU and Superman. Then, he can go back to painting Warhammer figures and building PCs in peace lol.

Last edited:
Top Bottom