• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This site is much better than reddit

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
I think it really depends on the subreddit, but the large 10k+ members subreddits can get a bit, ehhh.

badblue

Gold Member
Reddit is footing 100% of that bill on top of not making any ad revenue they would get from people using the terrible reddit app and terrible reddit website.
That's 100% on Reddit though. They were allowing free access to their API and allowed people to build a business off of it.

It's understandable that they want to change that and charge for access before the IPO.

Biff

I know what the controversy is about. I've read the comments from the Apollo creator. That's why I said in my comment that reddit should have worked out a revenue share with the creators of existing apps instead of dumping these prices on them.

But I also don't feel bad for the creator of Apollo or any other app that is making money off of reddit's API. The guy isn't running that app as a hobby. He's running it as a business and he's paying zero dollars for content and hosting. Reddit is footing 100% of that bill on top of not making any ad revenue they would get from people using the terrible reddit app and terrible reddit website. He's being intentionally evasive when he talks numbers, making sure to not tell anyone how much money he was making off of reddit while playing up how much reddit is taking from him.
I agree fully with your comments here and in the above post.

Reddit's business model is based on Lifetime Value of a user. The point is not to just get an ad display on a page view like imgur and that's it... you can be damn sure Reddit is planning to introduce some type of monthly subscription as part of their business plan which will conveniently happen a few months before IPO. Hence why they are charging 100x more than imgur for API calls - because each user is probably worth 100x more to Reddit on an official platform with subscription fees flowing up to Reddit.

Apollo has 1.5m monthly active users and this new Reddit API pricing is set to charge them $1.7M/mth. I dunno... Maybe if you can't make $1/mth off an average user with an app that has as much daily use as Reddit, then something's wrong with your business model. If I was Reddit, I also wouldn't want things like Apollo to exist which actively hinder my ability to monetize my base.

*******************BUT***********************

While I understand the API changes, the way it has been handled is a total dumpster fire. Way too little notice for such disruptive changes. And Spez's AMA was such a hilarious failure that it makes me question how the Board has let him be CEO for so long. I assume he gets shitcanned unless he has voting control that explains how he is still CEO (I have no idea).

Reddit is a cesspool of some of the stinkiest most anti-social M'Lady neckbeards on our planet. But they are also INSANELY dedicated to their communities and are responsible for MOUNTAINS of content that keep Reddit relevant. The vocal minority of Reddit are the ones who create the actual majority of content. And that's a MASSIVE problem for Reddit from a capitalistic perspective and why I'd never buy the IPO.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I don't post on reddit but do have an account. Since Apollo is getting killed off I have deleted it and no longer visit Reddit on mobile. Over the next couple days there are these shutdowns/boycotts/protests and I'll see how it goes afterward but I am thinking about deleting my account.

Last edited:
Navigating that site is awful. If I want to search for something on there, I Google *Insert question* + reddit, and sieve through the results. It also isn't structured in a way that facilitates healthy discussion. You will never catch me posting there.
Reddit isn't for discussion and never has been.

I don't post on reddit but do have an account. Since Apollo is getting killed off I have deleted it and no longer visit Reddit on mobile. Over the next couple days there are these shutdowns/boycotts/protests and I'll see how it goes afterward but I am thinking about deleting my account.
Then you’re right ne of the rare thing ones who will actually go through with it. Most people will talk about boycotts but ultimately just start using the official app once Apollo closes.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I agree fully with your comments here and in the above post.

Reddit's business model is based on Lifetime Value of a user. The point is not to just get an ad display on a page view like imgur and that's it... you can be damn sure Reddit is planning to introduce some type of monthly subscription as part of their business plan which will conveniently happen a few months before IPO. Hence why they are charging 100x more than imgur for API calls - because each user is probably worth 100x more to Reddit on an official platform with subscription fees flowing up to Reddit.

Apollo has 1.5m monthly active users and this new Reddit API pricing is set to charge them $1.7M/mth. I dunno... Maybe if you can't make $1/mth off an average user with an app that has as much daily use as Reddit, then something's wrong with your business model. If I was Reddit, I also wouldn't want things like Apollo to exist which actively hinder my ability to monetize my base.

*******************BUT***********************

While I understand the API changes, the way it has been handled is a total dumpster fire. Way too little notice for such disruptive changes. And Spez's AMA was such a hilarious failure that it makes me question how the Board has let him be CEO for so long. I assume he gets shitcanned unless he has voting control that explains how he is still CEO (I have no idea).

Reddit is a cesspool of some of the stinkiest most anti-social M'Lady neckbeards on our planet. But they are also INSANELY dedicated to their communities and are responsible for MOUNTAINS of content that keep Reddit relevant. The vocal minority of Reddit are the ones who create the actual majority of content. And that's a MASSIVE problem for Reddit from a capitalistic perspective and why I'd never buy the IPO.
You've articulated my exact feelings on the state of reddit and what I experienced during my time there. The reason I expended the time and effort I did is because I enjoyed the connection with the people I got to know while working on stuff for communities there and the enjoyment that came from building things that were useful to people. I never did get along with the admins and they were always antagonistic and menacing, especially if what you created was more popular than what their community team was doing.

Reddit's leadership and community teams are horrible, vindictive, and not above lying to try to avoid controversy.

Last edited:

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
People on Neogaf are mostly nice and understanding people. Except for the occasional post, people here have been really cool.

Reddit it's just about being an asshole and down voting. In fact I wish they would get away with that system or at least just make it where you can upvote or not vote at all. I think the whole system with Reddit just creates more division in an already very divisive atmosphere that is social media.

Edit: just after posting this, somebody spurred out on me in another thread here. lol.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
That's 100% on Reddit though. They were allowing free access to their API and allowed people to build a business off of it.

It's understandable that they want to change that and charge for access before the IPO.
Just because something is free doesn't mean it's always going to be that way. The developer terms of access were always clear that the terms could change at any time. Reddit was fairly unique for a company hosting a platform API in that the only real limitation for their public API was the rate limit, and they often turned a blind eye when a developer created multiple accounts to get multiple API keys to bypass it. But that was when they were burning venture capital trying to grow user accounts and engagement metrics. Anyone looking to start a business using that API should have known that it wasn't going to last. So I can't agree that it's 100% on reddit. They never promised that the breadsticks would be unlimited forever.

As I said multiple times, the way reddit approached the change was wrong. But the way the Apollo guy went about trying to play the victim was also wrong. He was a victim of his own poor planning and inability to create a sustainable business model. I'm honestly surprised it took reddit this long to start slicing off the leaches.

I'm not saying I'm any better. In the development work I did with communities there I skirted API rules like everyone else and often put myself at odds with the reddit community admins. I never monetized anything but I created some cross-site reward and engagement systems that pulled a lot of discussion to discord. It allowed reddit content to be discussed in real-time on discord at the same time reddit was trying to build their own chat systems. It allowed people to bypass megalomaniac reddit moderators who have too much control over content and still actively engage in the conversation around reddit content with reddit users. And with reddit so afraid that they might have to pay their moderators who work full time for free they cracked down on people like me who tried make the experience more enjoyable for mods and users.

badblue

Gold Member
Just because something is free doesn't mean it's always going to be that way.
I 100% agree. It just seem silly to be blaming people from profiting something that was free complaining about the changes that are fairly unreasonable.

Biff Biff articulated both our feelings on the matter.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
My friend took a pic of me and made it his avatar for Rocket League and changed his alias to Homo Thug Power G.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Been on Reddit since 2011. Almost 100k karma, thousands of posts/comments.

This morning, I decided to process my account with Shreddit to delete my posts and comments, then proceeded to delete my account. Fuck that place - I've been thinking of leaving for a while, just because it's evolved from a tool to discuss websites to a full-on social networking site.

RaduN

If i want to find first hand experience on any given subject, reddit is my first choice and it always delivers.
Is there also bad info and stupid people? Sure...

Top Bottom