• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THR: Get Out's Jordan Peele signs first look deal with UNI for next Social Thriller!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...-look-deal-universal-999913?utm_source=Direct
Universal Pictures is saying “Get in” to Get Out filmmaker Jordan Peele.

The studio has signed Peele to a first-look overall production deal with his Monkeypaw Productions banner.

Under the two-year deal, Universal stakes a claim to Peele’s next film, an untitled social thriller that he will write, direct and produce. That project is looking to have a larger canvas than Get Out as the budget will be about five times bigger than his low-budget movie Peele made with producer Jason Blum.

The deal comes as nearly every studio had been chasing to work with Peele, who wrote and directed the breakout thriller released in February that became a cultural phenomenon thanks to its creative way of tackling racial issues. The movie, which Universal released, has grossed over $194 million worldwide and was made a budget of about $5 million. The studio moved swiftly and aggressively to bring the actor-filmmaker into the fold.

“Through extraordinary imagination and fearless humor, Jordan has proven himself to be a game-changer who is driven to tell stories that are as commercially entertaining as they are disruptive and provocative,” said Universal chairman Donna Langley. “The entire Universal family takes great pride in his incomparable filmmaking debut, and feel fortunate that this studio will be Jordan’s home for many years to come.”

While the deal also calls for Peele to produce a wide range of projects, a very key aspect of the pact is Peele producing projects with the aim of giving a voice and opportunities to those traditionally under-represented in front and behind the camera, be it gender, race or sexual orientation. He will also reunite with Blum on micro-budget projects.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
article said:
Universal Pictures is saying “Get in” to Get Out filmmaker Jordan Peele.

giphy.gif

Fantastic news. Glad things are working out for him and his plans to make movies that tackle social issues. Save that giant Hollywood flick crap for down the line..or not at all.

GhaleonEB

While the deal also calls for Peele to produce a wide range of projects, a very key aspect of the pact is Peele producing projects with the aim of giving a voice and opportunities to those traditionally under-represented in front and behind the camera, be it gender, race or sexual orientation. He will also reunite with Blum on micro-budget projects.

Best news from the article. Shine that spotlight.

Down for whatever he does next. Even after all the hype Get Out was pretty damn good, which rarely happens for me these days *cough Don't Breathe sucked cough*

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Down for whatever he does next. Even after all the hype Get Out was pretty damn good, which rarely happens for me these days *cough Don't Breathe sucked cough*

I thought Don't Breathe was fine enough and can't really point to something I feel it did poorly, but somehow it didn't have sharp enough teeth

Maybe it's just because I had seen Green Room a few months earlier

I hope he still makes comedy movies at some point, and still decides to do stuff with Keegan Michael Key at some point.

ezekial45

Banned
I was actually kinda hoping those Akira rumors were gonna pan out, but this seems like a much better move for him.

Can't wait!

I'm so glad he's not doing Akira (Ghost in the Shell tanking might have killed that anyway).

If he can keep being a woke Hitchcock, that would be exceedingly awesome.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Good. This is what he should be doing, not getting roped into some studio franchise attempt.

Psyched for his next movie and whatever he helps shepherd from other filmmakers.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Best of luck to Jordan, man, he deserves this.

On one hand, that's great! I'd love more stuff like Get Out!

On the other hand, I wanted to see his Akira and Flash film :c
I wanted to see how he'd approach the bigger stuff like superhero films and the like

Pretty sure it was a rumored thing? I didn't mean it as an assertion of something that was happening.

I googled it. Some places reported that his Warner Bros meetings were for Akira OR Flash, while others just reported it as being for Akira. I must've only seen the articles about Akira.

I googled it. Some places reported that his Warner Bros meetings were for Akira OR Flash, while others just reported it as being for Akira. I must've only seen the articles about Akira.
Awesome, I started worrying that I had accidentally came across as willfully misinforming people.

I hope this doesn't turn into a True Detective Pizza situation where he had tons of time for Get Out, because of no expectations, then is rushed for these other movies and the quality of them suffers greatly

I hope this doesn't turn into a True Detective Pizza situation where he had tons of time for Get Out, because of no expectations, then is rushed for these other movies and the quality of them suffers greatly

Movies aren't made on the same rushed timetable that TV is, and despite Get Out being his first feature as a director, it wasn't his first time around the block by any means. He was a writer on MadTV, on Key and Peele, and Keanu. I think he'll do ok.

Movies aren't made on the same rushed timetable that TV is, and despite Get Out being his first feature as a director, it wasn't his first time around the block by any means. He was a writer on MadTV, on Key and Peele, and Keanu. I think he'll do ok.
He's said he has written several scripts, and that Get Out was the one that seemed *least* viable from a studio perspective. So it doesn't sound like a True Detective season 2 deal at all. I believe he said he had three more, all "social thrillers" -- which was his description, btw.

Top Bottom