• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tips & Tricks: What's a "glitch" that breaks the game?

DryvBy

I can't think of a title. I just thought of this because I was watching a Let's Game It Out and was thinking of "glitches" of sorts that break games economy of difficulty.

An example would be like in old SimCity games you could drive people to your city by having no taxes then at the last second, raise the taxes to max, collect funds and then drop them again.

Another example would be in TotK, there was a glitch (now patched) where you could glide off of anything, throw items out of your inventory to duplicate them making the game incredibly easy on the grind.

//////
TotK glitch if you're still playing the old version before 1.02

Last edited:

Kupfer

vKIr6HT.png

rDIYU4h.png

Last edited:

Three

I remember in skyrim there was a potion duplication trick to make a 1 shot kill arrow. Could take out a dragon instantly.

Edit: Found it. It was this

Last edited:

Davevil

first glitch ever... if you throw the ball out of the pitch in certain way, you can softlock the game.

tylrdiablos

I remember in skyrim there was a potion duplication trick to make a 1 shot kill arrow. Could take out a dragon instantly.

Edit: Found it. It was this

Wasn't it Skyrim that had the "feature" where you could put a bucket on a shop-keepers head and then rob the place blind?

Also, I think Final Fantasy VII had a dupe bug that involved the W-Item Materia but the specifics escape because it was 4,000 years ago. (I think the W-Item Materia allowed you to use two items in one turn?)

Zimmy68

That Zelda glitch made me enjoy the game so much more. I made sure to never update.
It didn't make the game necessarily easier, it just saved time.

Duchess

first glitch ever... if you throw the ball out of the pitch in certain way, you can softlock the game.
I believe you could mess up Kick Off 2 on the Amiga by kicking the ball out exactly at any corner. The whistle would then blow constantly as the game got stuck trying to process it as a throw-in or a goal kick.

I'm sure a friend told me about this, before then working to demonstrate it. This was sometime in 1990/1991, so I might not be remembering it right ;)

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb

Not sure if this counts as a “glitch” or just exploitable gameplay mechanics or what… but in Starfield ship combat, enemies always aim their shots at the geometric center of your ship. Build your ship in an “L” shape and all their shots will be aimed at empty space if you engage them head-on.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
lol and I just remembered another Bethesda glitch: paintbrushes in Elder Scrolls: Oblivion.

For whatever reason, paintbrushes are immovable objects that aren’t affected by gravity or any other physics. Meaning if you drop them from your inventory, they just hover there in mid air. You can build stairways out of them and reach areas you’re not supposed to get to.

I had fun getting on to rooftops and sniping at soldiers using this

Last edited:

dave_d

One I remember from Might and Magic 2. You could run into these enemy camps where there were literally hundreds of enemies but the game used a hack for it. It would list the first I think 10 enemies and then one more enemy that would be something like Orc(250) to indicate the hundreds of other enemies. In a way that last one was considered an enemy. So there was a trick with one of the spells where you could attack that last group as a single enemy. The thing was that enemy was really easy to kill if you could pull it off but was worth an insane number of experience, gold and items.(If you killed that group you could instantly go from I think level 7-10 to max level which I think was 255.)

killatopak

Map skips. It’s fun in speedruns but yeah, usually breaks whatever system is in place. Economy, levelling, early item etc.

cireza

There is a bug in Sonic 2 in Hill Top. If you rebound in a specific way on a lava enemy you will lock the game. Old games actually had a lot of bugs like these because it was so difficult to track down every possible thing that could happen. However this bug is actually easy to trigger and was overlooked during testing in my opinion.

Some games resorted to "exception management", for example if you ended up in a place you should not, it would default to an "error" place. Sonic 3D actually managed such errors to bring you to a level select screen.

Last edited:
Wasn't it Skyrim that had the "feature" where you could put a bucket on a shop-keepers head and then rob the place blind?

Also, I think Final Fantasy VII had a dupe bug that involved the W-Item Materia but the specifics escape because it was 4,000 years ago. (I think the W-Item Materia allowed you to use two items in one turn?)
Yes, it's very simple. All you need is the W-Item materia. Equip it and enter a battle, use W-Item then select the first item and a target for it, then choose a second item but instead of "using it" by choosing a target, just press back, it will add one to inventory. So right there just continue to select the item and press back and you will eventually max out at 99. Simple and elegant dupe bug usable for any item that can be used in battle.

Zephir

In Wild Arms you can get 255 of ANY item by glitching it during a battle, if it's a valuable you can sell all of them for obscene money (and breaking the game), using them to upgrade all ARMs to max (and breaking the game) or instantly getting all the magic spells (and breaking the game)

The W-Item in FF7 is good, but this one is instant

Top Bottom