• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall 3 hopefuls are getting desperate as Respawn teasers continue: "This is ether god-tier trolling or a confession"

Draugoth

Gold Member
Titanfall fans are growing ever more desperate in the wake of recent in-game teasers, to the point where they're now digging through the Red Hot Chili Peppers catalog for clues about a potential third entry in the beloved FPS series.

Over the past couple of months, Titanfall 2 got a series of updates addressing long-standing server issues and old level bugs. Developer Respawn more recently developed Apex Legends, a game that's technically also set in the Titanfall universe, and recent patch notes have included Easter egg references to the release dates for the Titanfall games. While there's been no official word of any major announcements for the series coming up, these teasers have been leading fans to do a whole lot of speculation.

Judging by Reddit posts such as this one, titled "AAAAAAHAHAHA THE NEW MODE IS A REFERENCE TO THE 3RD SONG OF A RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS ALBUM I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE," that speculation is starting to get quickly out of hand.

See, among Titanfall 2's recent updates have been regular refreshes to the game's featured playlists. The latest mode to rotate in is The Otherside. As that Reddit post notes, Otherside is also the name of a Red Hot Chili Peppers song - in fact, the third song released as a single from the band's seventh studio album, Californication. Yes, "third" as in "Titanfall 3," and we're just a few weeks away from the seventh anniversary of Titanfall 2's original launch.

There are a pretty wide range of comments in that thread, but the tone of the hopefuls is best summed up by this one from Elite-Soul, who says "this is ether god-tier trolling or a confession at this point." There's also Mr_M0rte, who simply says "TITANFALL 3 IS REAL" over and over again. A lot of players have been making unkind references to their own mental health as they speculate about Titanfall 3, and the whole Titanfall subreddit has essentially devolved into memes about increasingly ridiculous speculation over the sequel.

As for The Otherside, well, that mode has been in the game for years, it's just that now it's finally come back in the playlist rotation. And the song Otherside is actually the fourth song on Californication - it was just the third single released from the album, and it's pretty common for albums to only feature three single releases. In other words, if you pick any popular song out of a hat, the odds that it'll be the third single from some album are not bad.

All those other Titanfall 2 updates do, in my mind, suggest that Respawn has at least something in mind for the series, even if it's something as minimal as an anniversary celebration in Apex Legends. But folks, you've got to stop setting yourselves up for disappointment.

Source

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Half Life 3 fans Titanfall 3 fans

Handshake Bros GIF

Being delusional on 50 grams of hopium.

Last edited:

Zuzu

It's Ok to be excited but just remember that it will be full of microtransactions and they'll try to make it a GAAS. I know Titanfall 2 has some microtransactions but I think it's a safe bet that if there's a Titanfall 3 it will be on a whole other level with its "service" features.

Bridges

My biggest takeaway from this is that Titanfall 2 is seven years old. What the fuck.

One of the biggest monkey paw moments of all time.

"Respawn deserves to be extremely popular and successful"
xz92kr.gif

Okay, but now they are known for a F2P Battle Royale game and Star Wars, these efforts are so lucrative they have no time or resources to waste on Titanfall, the GOAT.

I'm happy for them, the success is deserved, but dammit I need a new Titanfall. And I fucking love the Red Hot Chili Peppers

I have been playing TF2 again since the servers were fixed. Still as awesome as it was back then, though I wish I could say the same about my skills. I'm terrible.

GymWolf

Titanfall 2 is one of the greatest FPS games ever made.

An absolutely jaw dropping campaign combined with incredible multiplayer.

I'd fap myself into a coma if they announced Titanfall 3.
Campaign was cool but way too short and easy even on max difficulty.

Fps campaign should be challenging on max difficulty, not a walk in the park.

It also is much better MP than titanfall.

Titanfall was well made but it just never was fun to me. The man vs mech, mech vs man stuff never landed and having the map clogged with npcs was shit.

Also the movement skill gap was too insane for a small percentage, they dominated multiplayer.

Loved the campaign and the multiplayer objective modes but I did get sick of the mechs after a while.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Campaign was cool but way too short and easy even on max difficulty.

Fps campaign should be challenging on max difficulty, not a walk in the park.

Valid points. My main criticism of the campaign is it's length. "Effect and Cause" was absolutely the standout level. Incredible masterclass of game design. Needed more of that.

GymWolf

Valid points. My main criticism of the campaign is it's length. "Effect and Cause" was absolutely the standout level. Incredible masterclass of game design. Needed more of that.
The level with time travel fuckery? Yeah that one was good.

Bridges

Titanfall; the franchise everyone loves but nobody bought.
Pre-ordered both games even though I hate doing that

And even though I had just bought BF1 the week before 2 dropped.

Thinking about that release schedule makes me upset all over again

Does anyone know if Titanfall 1 is functional? I love TF2 but TF1 was even more of a grunt vs mech game because the Titans were more like standard issue military tanks instead of multiple unique ones.

It made the titan vs titan gameplay a lot more balanced.

near

Gold Member
It's clearly happening, maybe not TF3, but something TF related is coming. We should find out what it is this month. Hopefully it is the Steve Fukuda project with he's skunkworks team.

LordOfChaos

Do Want Give It To Me GIF

TF2 was up there in the single player resurgence recently, great campaign that kept introducing new ideas and retiring them before they got tired in a masterful way, and even the multiplayer was the most fun I've had in one for a shooter recently, the mobility and everyone being able to contribute something made it really fun.

I'd love to see a very up to date Titanfall 3 as a classic single player campaign and multiplayer. Please don't ruin it by making it a BR.

Top Bottom