• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Today is the 5 year anniversary of a dark twisted fantasy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My_Beautiful_Dark_Twisted_Fantasy.jpg

That's right, today is the 5th anniversary of what is arguably the best record Kanye West has ever made. For those of you who might be blissfully unaware of what I'm talking about, "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy" is the 5th studio album from American rapper, producer, fashion designer, Kardashian affiliate Kanye West. This album came about due to a self-imposed exile by West after disrespecting America's manufactured pop sweetheart Taylor Swift. Worked on in Hawaii with a set of collaborators ranging from the RZA to Madlib to DJ Premier to god knows who else, MBDTF, in the end, features 13 tracks (12, if you exclude the Gil Scot-Heron outro) with features from Raekwon, Pusha T, Jay-Z, Nicki Minaj, Elton John, and many more.

Now with all that being said, what is your favorite track of this arguable masterpiece? Why does everyone consider Nicki's verse in Monster to be the greatest? Why the hell is Fergie even on All of The Lights? What is the best track on this album, and why is it Runaway? And, of course, give us your ranking of the 5 other Ye albums because everyone knows that this album is his greatest of all time.

collige

Banned
I've soured quite a bit on this album since it came out. It's very over-produced and the mastering is garbage. Best track is So Appalled.

Yeezus > Graduation > CD > MBDTF > WTT > LR > 808s

quesalupa

All the songs except for "Hell of a Life" are sooo good I can't choose which one is best. If I had to I guess I'd go with POWER because it's the most nostalgic for me.

ItIsOkBro

All the songs except for "Hell of a Life" are sooo good I can't choose which one is best. If I had to I guess I'd go with POWER because it's the most nostalgic for me.

Bruh Hell of a Life is my fav track.

Definitely has the hardest rhymes of the entire album.

chaislip3

Such a great album. Favorite songs are Runaway, Gorgeous, DIAND, and Lost in the World.

Album rankings at the moment:
1. 808's
2. Late Registration
3. MBDTF
4. College Dropout
5. Yeezus
6. Graduation

Devil in a New Dress is the best track and always has been. Runaway is a close second.

Highlight of my life was seeing him perform Runaway live this summer.

Perhaps a mod could add a NSFW tag? I realize now that a dark twisted fantasy was a music album, but I didn't know that when I clicked, and that picture...

Mr. Doop

Hov's verse on Monster >>> Nicki IMO.

Gorgeous probably has Yeezy's best verses.

What? That's arguably one of the worst verses on the album. It sounds like Jay-Z was having a stroke while he was recording it.

Runaway is my favorite track off the album, and probably my favorite Kanye track ever.

Hov's verse on Monster >>> Nicki IMO.

Gorgeous probably has Yeezy's best verses.

Hov's verse is probably the worst on the track, if only because of that intro. The rest of it isn't too bad, but he took Monster way too literally. But, all of that pales in comparison to RZA's verse on So Appalled or even Fergie's verse on All of The Lights.

And seconding Gorgeous. That was probably the lyrical highlight of the album. "Penitentiary chances, the devil dances / And eventually answers to the call of Autumn / All of them fallin’ for the love of ballin’ / Got caught with 30 rocks, the cop look like Alec Baldwin / Inter century anthems based off inner city tantrums"

Five years???
Time sure does fly...
It only seems like yesterday when my friend (who's a way bigger hip-hop/rap buff than I am) and I were gushing about it for hours over Uncharted 2 OMP back in high school.

Man, MDTF is a pretty amazing album.
It managed to convince me to check out Kanye's extensive backlog of quality work while also delivering the killing blow to my juvenile"all modern music/rap is dumb!" teenage mentality (Which was already being weakened day by day).
Good stuff, good stuff.

TangMeng

I know most people hate it but I actually really like Rozay's verse on Devil in a New Dress, too. I'm glad it was added to the final version.

120v

i know its been five years but it's still kind of mindblowing to think its been that long already

one of my favorite all-time albums. and i'm not even really into hip hop

Timeless

This is the album that got me into hip-hop. Turns out hip-hop is more than drugs and killing (this was the impression I had from others until listening to this). It became one of my all-time favorites. I listen to Yeezus more these days because I want something rougher, but I think MBDTF is the better album. Yeezus to me only works as a response to MBDTF, not as its own independent album.

The beginning of the end for him. The point where his ego starting outpacing his musical worth. Stupid ass artwork too. Now he's that old guy who thinks he can lecture others on what is and isn't art and also be married to Kim Kardashian.

#Team808s

Fjordson

Maybe my least favourite Kanye album, but Gorgeous is probably my favourite track.

Late Registration > College Dropout > whatever

Courage

It's crazy how messy this album shound sound on paper, but ends up working flawlessly. The features, the track sequencing, the mixing. Best album of all time.

SJRB

Gold Member
I fucking LOOOOVE Devil in a New Dress, the samplework is stellar and the bassline is crazy.

Brakke

Banned
Fucken love this tape. Just put it back on rotation last week after a bit of a hiatus. I really like how ridiculously overproduced it is but it still manages to have an edge to it.

http://pitchfork.com/news/56459-aphex-twin-speaks-on-his-new-album-being-sampled-by-kanye-more/

On Kanye sampling Drukqs’ “Avril 14th” on My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy’s “Blame Game”: “Is it a sample? I actually don't know what it ended up being in the end, I'm so slack. I know that he tried to fucking rip me off and claim that he'd written it, and they tried to get away with not paying. I was really helpful, and when they first sent it to me, I was like, ‘Oh, I can re-do that for you, if you like,’ because they'd sampled it really badly and time-stretched it and there was loads of artifacts. I was like, ‘I'll just replay it for you at that speed if you want.’ And they totally didn't even say ‘hello’ or ‘thanks,’ they just replied with, ‘It's not yours, it's ours, and we're not even asking you any more.’” [laughs]

such a visionary

hopefully one of his handlers was able to fix the shit sample or at least find someone to pay to fix it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom