• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toy company uses Beastie Boys song without permission, sues Beasie Boys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Goldieblox is backing down.

Dear Adam and Mike,

We don’t want to fight with you. We love you and we are actually huge fans.
When we made our parody version of your song, ‘Girls’, we did it with the best of intentions. We wanted to take a song we weren’t too proud of, and transform it into a powerful anthem for girls. Over the past week, parents have sent us pictures and videos of their kids singing the new lyrics with pride, building their own Rube Goldberg machines in their living rooms and declaring an interest in engineering. It’s been incredible to watch.

Our hearts sank last week when your lawyers called us with threats that we took very seriously. As a small company, we had no choice but to stand up for ourselves. We did so sincerely hoping we could come to a peaceful settlement with you.

We want you to know that when we posted the video, we were completely unaware that the late, great Adam Yauch had requested in his will that the Beastie Boys songs never be used in advertising. Although we believe our parody video falls under fair use, we would like to respect his wishes and yours.

Since actions speak louder than words, we have already removed the song from our video. In addition, we are ready to stop the lawsuit as long as this means we will no longer be under threat from your legal team.

We don’t want to spend our time fighting legal battles. We want to inspire the next generation. We want to be good role models. And we want to be your friends.

Sincerely,
Debbie + Team GoldieBlox

abrack08

The hell does this mean?

Girls said:
Girls - to do the dishes
Girls - to clean up my room
Girls - to do the laundry
Girls - and in the bathroom
Girls, that's all I really want is girls

They changed the lyrics in the video to be about girls building stuff or being creative or whatever (I haven't seen it, video was taken down before I heard about it sadly).

Kinyou

Couldn't they just remove all forms of advertisement in the video if the message was really that important to them?

Cat Party

I've supported Goldie Blox since the kickstarter, and I don't really give a shit about the self-righteous (and in this case hypocritical) Beastie Boys, so my allegiances here are no secret. I'm pleased that Goldie Blox is backing down, which is the right move. Of course, this whole thing has likely been a net gain for Goldie Blox, so that's a plus.

Einhander

I've supported Goldie Blox since the kickstarter, and I don't really give a shit about the self-righteous (and in this case hypocritical) Beastie Boys, so my allegiances here are no secret. I'm pleased that Goldie Blox is backing down, which is the right move. Of course, this whole thing has likely been a net gain for Goldie Blox, so that's a plus.

Explain how they are being self-righteous and especially hypocritical.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Beastie Boys have filed a counterclaim.

Despite an earlier effort to broker peace between the Beastie Boys and a San Francisco-area toy company, the legal battle over a viral video that parodied one of the rap group’s songs goes on.

In court papers filed on Tuesday, lawyers for the Beastie Boys said that a popular online video that was created by the toy company, GoldieBlox, and contained an alternate version of the band’s song “Girls,” constituted “copyright infringement and is not fair use,” turning the band’s music into “a ‘jingle’ to sell GoldieBlox’s products.”
Daralyn Durie, a lawyer for GoldieBlox, said in a statement on Wednesday that her firm was reviewing the band’s latest filing. She added, “Although the ad has been taken down and we would prefer an amicable resolution, we strongly believe that the parody constitutes fair use.”
The whole counterclaim text is up here.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Have you ever listened to the original song's lyrics?

So "(You Gotta) Fight for Your Right (To Party!)" is an ironic denunciation of partying, but Girls -the preceding track- is about the subjugation of women? Licensed to Ill is all over the place, and one album that should not be interpreted literally.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
LOL, Beastie Boys, who have used parts of others people's music dozens or hundreds of times without asking permission, and without it even being obvious parody. Fuck off.

xbhaskarx

So "(You Gotta) Fight for Your Right (To Party!)" is an ironic denunciation of partying, but Girls -the preceding track- is about the subjugation of women? Licensed to Ill is all over the place, and one album that should not be interpreted literally.

Okay, but forgetting about interpretation which is subjective, the actual lyrics of the parody version are still basically the exact opposite of the original version.

kehs

Banned
"The lawsuit between the Beastie Boys and GoldieBlox concerning GoldieBlox's use of the Beastie Boys song 'Girls' has been settled," a spokesperson for the company tells Rolling Stone. "That settlement includes (a) the issuance of an apology by GoldieBlox, which will be posted on GoldieBlox's website, and (b) a payment by GoldieBlox, based on a percentage of its revenues, to one or more charities selected by Beastie Boys that support science, technology, engineering and mathematics education for girls." A representative for the Beastie Boys directed Rolling Stone to GoldieBlox's statement.

Ooops

http://www.theverge.com/2014/3/18/5521966/goldieblox-settles-girls-parody-ad-lawsuit-beastie-boys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom