• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump complains Saudis not paying fair share for U.S. defense

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandy1297

KSA, Pakistan, and Indonesiaare pretty much pushing the worst Wahhabism there is. It really is the axis of evil in modern times.

That we are allied with them and refuse to push them to deal with it is absurd.

That's a bunch of bullcrap
I bet you base this on that one marvel penciller dude and dont have any other knowledge about the country

Keasar

He also said this

I think it was a different Interview from Reuters.

I just can't anymore.

We know this fucker can't read shit but can he at least have someone walk next to him and try to explain world history or some shit?
Also, ironically, Trump came to power in his own little empire the same way Kim Jong Un did.

KevinRo

I think USA had cheaper gas than some other countries for the last... 50 years. Does he think it's a coincidence?

Oil is openly traded... You're confused. We have an infrastructure already built-up for many years and we happen to be the world's largest exporter of oil.

Honestly, the president is barking up the wrong tree here. Saudi Arabia buys so much in terms of airplanes and military weapons, his comment is really cringe inducing.

dopplr

Nah, SA has a huge deficit at present.

http://www.economist.com/news/middl...s?zid=308&ah=e21d923f9b263c5548d5615da3d30f4d

Basically, the entire country survives off the oil revenue, and increasingly over time, they've gotten used to spending it with abandon.

I assure you nepotism, corruption and all that is involved with those two, are the reason SA is having money 'issues'. These countries have so much wealth that despite all that, they've managed to sufficiently provide for their citizens. So now the price of oil has dropped, but the stealing is still ongoing - very slowly is this changing. Ask anyone from these rich oil countries and they'll tell you the same thing regarding corruption and money.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I wish we'd stop supplying them with weapons.

Come to think of it, where does that arms sales money go, anyway? I'd be surprised if it goes to funding our schools. How fungible is it?

dopplr

I wish we'd stop supplying them with weapons.

Come to think of it, where does that arms sales money go, anyway? I'd be surprised if it goes to funding our schools. How fungible is it?

Do you not want this region to have the ability to defend itself? These weapon sales are happening for multiple reasons, and having SA and other gulf states dependent on themselves for defense benefits every person involved. The U.S. with its ability to provide weapons gains money, with their ability to assist the SA army they gain influence, and lastly with these good relations comes direct access to future SA decisions. Having a good relationship with SA also means good relations with other gulf states.

190.gif

TarNaru33

Banned
I think USA had cheaper gas than some other countries for the last... 50 years. Does he think it's a coincidence?

That is likely due to the advantage of the USD + the taxes on fuel is significantly lower in U.S than most other places.

Oil is openly traded... You're confused. We have an infrastructure already built-up for many years and we happen to be the world's largest exporter of oil.

Honestly, the president is barking up the wrong tree here. Saudi Arabia buys so much in terms of airplanes and military weapons, his comment is really cringe inducing.

U.S? U.S isn't the largest exporter of oil.

Dunkley

Looks like Trump is keen set on burning some bridges looking at this and the SK news. Not that I'd really mind with Saudi Arabia, but damn he's keen on riding the US into the ground.

Xando

Not even 100 days in and he already cries about the job and has pissed off most large countries in the world.

By 2020 he will have pissed off all life in the universe.

so US is asking from their "allies" protection money???
is this a sovereign government of a nation or this is a mob organization asking for money unless you want the security to grow more lax?
and in the topic there are even people like volimar and Auto_aim1 saying that he's more or less right...
sigh.........

I guess he means by being an Ally you got to pay up.

Since SA doesn't have any US bases in their country and pay usually 3X the price tag for US equipment.

This is after his "SK's got to pay" remarks, also after the whole Nato/Mexico/Canada/etc.. got to pay remarks.

Spladam

Not only do the Saudi's buy a crapload of weapons from the U.S., they are heavily invested in U.S. defense and aerospace companies. That's the Saudi shtick, they export extremism and then invest in the war on said extremism, they are making their own customers.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Then stop letting them dictate US policy in the middle east.

"I'm gonna rip NATO to shreds, you aren't pay YOUR fair share!"
"lol jk"

"Saudis, it's about time you pay YOUR fair share!"
????
what I expect: "lol jk, I love your oil"

People should try to keep their biases from blinding them from the truth. Trump is nowhere near correct, in fact, U.S benefits more from the Saudi-U.S relationship.

The Saudis buy almost all of their military equipment from U.S. Not to mention they are a huge reason why oil is traded in USD as they are the biggest exporter of oil and have tremendous weight in the OPEC countries.

There is a downside to the relationship in that terrorism is primarily driven by the Saudis. In terms of protection, the Saudis do not truly need "protecting", it is a mutually beneficial alliance.

Even if U.S relinquished this relationship, it would still have to be involved in the region to keep it from going unstable with wars and nuclear weapon races due to the resource which holds strongly onto the world's heart. Until oil is irrelevant, do not expect U.S to drop the Saudis, it is unrealistic and could possibly crash the world economy.
How does Saudi Arabia government drive terrterrorism
People really need to see how some of the Middle East see Saudi Arabia before making such a claim.

Al Qaida, ISIS, Hezbollah, Hamas, Iran, Saddam, Qadafi, AL Assad had and for some still are calling Saudi Arabia as the American / Israeli traitor who invaded Mecca and Medina and Muslims needs to take them back.

Saudi Arabian American was the main premises for Numerous terrorist even from within Saudi Arabia were recruite.

Saudi Arabia being an American ally favours US over other countries when it comes to certain deals.

Go hear terrorist chants regardless from which camp their from
It's always
Death to America
Death to Israel
Death to Al Saud (Saudi royal family)

Yes Saudi Arabia has some human rights issues
Yes they armed rebels with Qatar, Turkey and the US just for ISIS to take advantage

The only mistake Saudi Arabia have done is keeping it's mouth sealed against the Muslim Brotherhood and banned them so late
The MB were the mechanism that convinced a lot of Saudis to go help Syrian.

Saudi Arabia doesn't have any intentions of expanding since based on their previous actions love to keep things as is to gain stability as other countries Gulf in the region.

Remember these countries are new and focusing mostly on stability, rocking the boats for good or bad is not in their favor.

pa22word

They can decide to not trade it in US markets. They also can jettison the dollar as their reserve currency.

It would hurt them as well, but they sure can do it as threat with teeth.

If the saudi's want to fuck with the US on oil trump and the republican congress can just subsidize fracking. I really wonder who is going to be blinking first in such a scenario, especially considering the saudi's already blinked on it last year (iirc?) when they almost killed their own economy trying to drive US oil out of business.

A lot of people are reading too much into this methinks. Obama was being cold on the Saudi's in the back half of his administration because they simply aren't as important an ally as they used to be in a post fracking world and Trump hammering on them here is pretty much just an extension of that.

TarNaru33

Banned
If the saudi's want to fuck with the US on oil trump and the republican congress can just subsidize fracking. I really wonder who is going to be blinking first in such a scenario, especially considering the saudi's already blinked on it last year (iirc?) when they almost killed their own economy trying to drive US oil out of business.

A lot of people are reading too much into this methinks. Obama was being cold on the Saudi's in the back half of his administration because they simply aren't as important an ally as they used to be in a post fracking world and Trump hammering on them here is pretty much just an extension of that.

Lol... no, this is just Trump being Trump. Oil trade does not work the way you are saying. They can easily manipulate it (being the main OPEC country) and shoot U.S's gas prices through the roof.

At this time, there is no "win" for U.S against the Saudis.

People really need to see how some of the Middle East see Saudi Arabia before making such a claim.

Al Qaida, ISIS, Hezbollah, Hamas, Iran, Saddam, Qadafi, AL Assad had and for some still are calling Saudi Arabia as the American / Israeli traitor who invaded Mecca and Medina and Muslims needs to take them back.

Saudi Arabian American was the main premises for Numerous terrorist even from within Saudi Arabia were recruite.

Saudi Arabia being an American ally favours US over other countries when it comes to certain deals.

It's always
Death to America
Death to Israel

Yes they armed rebels with Qatar, Turkey and the US just for ISIS to take advantage

The only mistake Saudi Arabia have done is keeping it's mouth sealed against the Muslim Brotherhood and banned them so late

Saudi Arabia doesn't have any intentions of expanding since based on their previous actions love to keep things as is to gain stability as other countries Gulf in the region.

Remember these countries are new and focusing mostly on stability, rocking the boats for good or bad is not in their favor.

Saudi Arabia just recently (after ISIS came to) started, clamping down harder on the terrorists they helped spring up. Many of the terrorist organizations that came to from the Syrian Civil War is due to the Gulf countries spearheaded by Saudi Arabia, giving weapons to any and all enemies of Assad regardless of their affiliation.

This is exactly what is called "propping up terrorists" and to clarify, a terrorist blowing up civilians in Syria is still a terrorist to U.S. Just because they align with our goal in defeating Assad, does not mean they are not terrorists.

It's always
Death to America
Death to Israel

people are obsessed of literally clinging to the past and past offensives not realizing that governments move and change and interests change as well

currently every terror group is after Saudi's head

This is exactly what is called "propping up terrorists" and to clarify, a terrorist blowing up civilians in Syria is still a terrorist to U.S. Just because they align with our goal in defeating Assad, does not mean they are not terrorists.

except unless they are the PKK

TarNaru33

Banned
people are obsessed of literally clinging to the past and past offensives not realizing that governments move and change and interests change as well

currently every terror group is after Saudi's head

Actually, I did not say that with 9/11 in mind and my response to him clarifies that, so no it isn't clinging to pas offenses.

Governments do change and so do their interests, but it doesn't change what the past administrations have done and if the future/current ones do anything to rectify it. That is like me trying to wave away the actions of U.S in the Cold War, sure that was the past, but it still had significant negative effects in the regions.

Like I said earlier though, Saudia Arabia have been doing more to clamp down on terrorist cells and extremist that originates there, so I am giving them some credit.

except unless they are the PKK

You are talking to me, not the U.S government, whataboutism won't work here especially since I would agree U.S shouldn't mingle with the PKK.

However, I don't care about Turkish interests either and the Kurds are the best bet for dealing with ISIS along with their need for their own territory which Turkey tries the best it can to stop it.

Actually, I did not say that with 9/11 in mind and my response to him clarifies that, so no it isn't clinging to pas offenses.

Governments do change and so do their interests, but it doesn't change what the past administrations have done and if the future/current ones do anything to rectify it. That is like me trying to wave away the actions of U.S in the Cold War, sure that was the past, but it still had significant negative effects in the regions.

Like I said earlier though, Saudia Arabia have been doing more to clamp down on terrorist cells and extremist that originates there, so I am giving them some credit.

You are talking to me, not the U.S government, whataboutism won't work here especially since I would agree U.S shouldn't mingle with the PKK.

However, I don't care about Turkish interests either and the Kurds are the best bet for dealing with ISIS along with their need for their own territory which Turkey tries the best it can to stop it.
I wasn't clamping on your statement rather I am just pointing out that literally everyone in the coalition is just tossing arms to anyone that might share a common interest for them

regardless of what that would indicate in the future... The US hasn't learnt from its past mistakes

Similarly SA has funded some rebel groups that have questionable objectives but not the current known terror groups that are ISIS and AQ, etc... regardless of what some people speculate (which again is just speculation and nothing more)

The form of whataboutism doesn't negate any of these countries doing stupid shit but rather I for one am stating that and giving the information that the US is currently conducting in terrorism funding... again and should not do so for not only the betterment of the ME but actually the betterment of future US policy.

The whole coalition be it SA, Turkey, US, etc... literally are not thinking long term or are not even caring on what their so called allies think and that is a problem if you want to even get to a common objective let alone end it.

TarNaru33

Banned
I wasn't clamping on your statement rather I am just pointing out that literally everyone in the coalition is just tossing arms to anyone that might share a common interest for them

regardless of what that would indicate in the future... The US hasn't learnt from its past mistakes

Similarly SA has funded some rebel groups that have questionable objectives but not the current known terror groups that are ISIS and AQ, etc... regardless of what some people speculate (which again is just speculation and nothing more)

The form of whataboutism doesn't negate any of these countries doing stupid shit but rather I for one am stating that and giving the information that the US is currently conducting in terrorism funding... again and should not do so for not only the betterment of the ME but actually the betterment of future US policy.

The whole coalition be it SA, Turkey, US, etc... literally are not thinking long term or are not even caring on what their so called allies think and that is a problem if you want to even get to a common objective let alone end it.

I can agree with what you said here except your "speculation" bit.

Also, Turkey is the only one in the wrong on the coalition in my view, they only care about removing Assad and keeping the Kurds from any form of power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom