• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump threatens to abandon Puerto Rico relief efforts

Trump talks about Puerto Rico the same way the Dursleys might talk about Harry Potter. “We’re not going to help you forever, you know!”

Unbounded

!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

What?

I'm continually impressed at how stupid this man can be. He's somehow managed to keep topping himself every week.

Whats the hang-up? Classic zero sum thinking in terms of either Democrats or Republicans netting those votes? Or an obligation to deal with their debt and piss off Wall Street? Both?

Republicans think the PR becoming a state means a permanent +2 dem senators and however many representatives the state will have. That's it really.

Democrats don't talk about it, push for it, or fight for it.

GetLucky

Republicans think the PR becoming a state means a permanent +2 dem senators and however many representatives the state will have. That's it really.

Same with D.C.

There's no logical argument for Washington D.C. being not represented in congress, but since it doesn't help republicans they just don't do it. It's bogus

FStubbs

A permanent +2 democratic Hispanic senators. That's the real reason.

Same reason they opposed DC Statehood for years. They didn't want +2 democratic Black senators.

They'd be a little more amenable to DC Statehood now that DC is not as Black.

lush

BTSsYU0.jpg

Disgusting.

Ithil

So he's basically trying to pretend there was no damage from the hurricane and this is what it was like beforehand.

Shadybiz

So he's basically trying to pretend there was no damage from the hurricane and this is what it was like beforehand.

Yep. To him, every Puerto Rican person lived in a wooden hut with spotty electricity (I'm talking a single light bulb dangling from a string in each hut), and got their water from the village water pump before the hurricane.

tbm24

He's trying to say he/government are doing the best they can and the reason people are being critical is because of how much of a piece of shit Puerto Rico already was.

Bad before the hurricanes? I think he means after, but still that tweet is disgusting and totally tone deaf.

No, he means before. His main concern is that PR pays back large debts they already owe to private industry. PR was in a massive, crushing economic crisis already. This is all Trump cares about and why he doesn't want to help them now. Literally his first tweet after Maria was about the money they owed.

This dude is something else holy shit. Begs for praise and blames you for everything else.

Yep.

He's basically using the PR people as a way to 'reinforce' his earlier argument about the poor infrastructure.

"They know it was bad before - trust me! "

Very very odd behaviour.

Shadybiz

This was just posted in another thread, but I think it fits here, too. It's a Rachel Maddow report about some of the medical personnel apparently treating themselves to "spa days" (using Puerto Rican people to do so, no less), as well as a bit about how things are going on the hospital ship that's docked there.

Spoiler:
It's fucking disgraceful if accurate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCiyjlq3ncE

Top Bottom