• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trying to avoid the inevitable death-by-Mario there Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves gets weekly preview screenings

ManaByte

Gold Member
The new D&D movie comes out the week before Super Mario, meaning it’s going to not last long in theaters. Which is a shame since it’s awesome. I saw it last weekend and am going again this week, and I haven’t seen a movie more than once in theaters since 2019.

To try to avoid the instant death by Mario, they’re doing weekly preview screenings. Amazon did one last Sunday, then there was one last night with a free Forgotten Realms cloth map, and then there are more this Sunday and next Wednesday:
https://www.dungeonsanddragons.movie/

It’s still at 88% on RT.
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dungeons_and_dragons_honor_among_thieves

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Highly recommended. I saw it last Sunday and had a blast. Humor is subjective, but I'd say the majority of the jokes landed with the audience we saw it with. Just a fun and funny movie with some surprisingly great action scenes as well.

Like mentioned in the OP's title, I think Paramount knows that they have a good movie but unfortunately timed the official release 5 days ahead of what could potentially be the biggest movie of the year.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Highly recommended. I saw it last Sunday and had a blast. Humor is subjective, but I'd say the majority of the jokes landed with the audience we saw it with. Just a fun and funny movie with some surprisingly great action scenes as well.

Like mentioned in the OP's title, I think Paramount knows that they have a good movie but unfortunately timed the official release 5 days ahead of what could potentially be the biggest movie of the year.
And think Paramount understands that and will look at the reception of the movie and how it does on Paramount+/digital more so we hopefully still get the sequels and the Drizzt TV series.

jason10mm

Gold Member
How is the Mario movie reviewing? My kids want to see that one, naturally, but I'm dragging my kid to DnD and probably Shazam anyway. This summer must be BRUTAL with releases if all three of these are getting dropped together (or, lets be honest, Shazam is getting left out to die and DnD is likely a niche appeal film at best).

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Just watched this tonight with the kids, wow did it flew under the radar and deserves way more. What a funny and entertaining movie!
When I saw the reviews, my wife and I were planning to go for a date night but some last minute work stuff cancelled our plans (same thing happened for Avatar). …I think we’ll have to stream it soon.

Bought it for home streaming and we really enjoyed it. I hope it ends up doing well enough for more of these. I don't know DnD much at all, but found this movie to be a ton of fun.

Last edited:
Bought it for home streaming and we really enjoyed it. I hope it ends up doing well enough for more of these. I don't know DnD much at all, but found this movie to be a ton of fun.
Everybody I've heard from here says they really like the movie but when I watch the trailers it looks so terrible. It looks like some Marvel style of bullshit. I would like a Dungeons & Dragons movie that was more serious but a lot of people are saying this is more of a comedy.

I guess I won't be able to know until I actually watch it myself. I'm a huge Dungeons and Dragons fan so I just want to see something that's actually good based off of this.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Everybody I've heard from here says they really like the movie but when I watch the trailers it looks so terrible. It looks like some Marvel style of bullshit. I would like a Dungeons & Dragons movie that was more serious but a lot of people are saying this is more of a comedy.

I guess I won't be able to know until I actually watch it myself. I'm a huge Dungeons and Dragons fan so I just want to see something that's actually good based off of this.
Most of Gaf and probably myself included, weren't too impressed with the trailer. So yep, it was a surprise when the movie knocked it out of the park. Hope it gets a sequel.

DKehoe

It would be nice if it got a sequel since it was a lot of fun and there's a lot you could do with it going forward. Seems like it maybe didn't do as well as you might hope but it was released in a tough window (between John Wick 4 and Mario) and got good word of mouth.

Very surprised by this, the trailer looked like shit

Just watched this tonight with the kids, wow did it flew under the radar and deserves way more. What a funny and entertaining movie!

I was one of them as you can see. Give it a try, it's a nice little movie

Top Bottom