• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TSMC halts new Huawei orders after US tightens restrictions

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.

"TSMC has stopped taking new orders from Huawei after the new rule change was announced to fully comply with the latest export control regulation," a person familiar with the situation said. "But those already in production and those orders which TSMC took before the new ban are not impacted and could continue to proceed if those chips could be shipped before mid-September."

The U.S. Commerce Department announced on Friday that all non-U. S. chip manufacturers using American chipmaking equipment, intellectual property or design software will have to apply for a license before shipping chips to Huawei.

"It's a difficult decision for TSMC as Huawei is the company's No. 2 customer, but the chipmaker has to follow the U.S. rules," another person familiar with the matter said.

I always thought that enforcing IP rights overseas was going to be a pipe dream. Amazing.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
If the US is gonna use Taiwan as a proxy to pressure China, they could at least acknowledge them.

I got a feel that will happen right before the tensions scale into a cease of talks.
Kinda worried honestly. I mean, shit, Huawei was stealing IP, but will China go to war to defend Huawei, aka itself?

Top Bottom