• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TYFC indiegogo - Women making Video Games For Charity

unbias

Who Are The Fine Young Capitalists?

The Fine Young Capitalists' mission is to create media using under represented labour, for unexplored demographics to fund non-profit organizations.

We took 5 women who had never designed a video game before and gave them professional concept artists to create their ideal game. We created a prototype and now want the internet to vote on the best game so we can make it and give all the proceeds to charity.

The most important thing you can do is vote at
http://www.thefineyoungcapitalists.com/Voting

What Can You Do To Help:
The most important thing you can do is vote at http://www.thefineyoungcapitalists.com/Voting

Money's always nice... but if you can’t contribute financially, you can still spread the word about the project and help us out with the game. All of the games that have been designed support modding. That means that you can add your own unique flair to the game that will be created. We want to work with people to help them get involved in the game industry and will take steps to help you work with.

Creating a game is just one part of the larger goal of education and getting women involved in the tech industry. We want to get the word out to as many people as possible, so if you watch our videos, replay and comment on them, and share links to our videos and website, you will be helping.

If you have a website, a podcast, or a YouTube channel and you want to talk to us about the project, send an email to media@thefineyoungcapitalists.com. We’ll be extremely happy to be interviewed or answer any questions you have.

The 5 games:

20140810165033-Poster1.jpg

Reputation is everything when you're a ghost
By Danielle M

Afterlife Empire is a top down isometric strategy game where the player takes on the role of a ghost in their own haunted house. It’s inspired by games such as Theme Hospital and Dungeon Keeper but focuses on character interaction as well as base building.

The player takes the role of a freshly risen ghost and where you need to build your own haunted house. You start with a one room shack and slowly build your home up until it turns into a haunted wonder of the world.

As the player scares the humans that enter their haunted house they earn “Notoriety.” A ghost can’t do anything if no one believes in you and a ghost that no believes in will slowly leave the mortal plane for the afterworld.

20140810165043-Poster2.jpg

Let the Furball’s Fly
By Michele B

Furball Fury is part racing game, part world builder and part insanity. Set inside the body of a cat, the player takes over the role of a Furball going on a magical adventure to collect as much stray hairballs as possible inside a cat’s body. At the same time the Furball meets allies, has adventures and learns the meaning of life… or something.

Furball Fury is a casual racing game that not only allows you to challenge your friends to get the best time on a race track but also allows you to design and share your own maps through an exceptionally simple editor. This editor is so simple that anyone can create their own level on an iPad, and share it with a friend.

20140810165052-Poster3.jpg

It puts the 'Rambo' in 'Roshambo'.
By Hannah V

Air Rocky is a party game that relies on the idea that everyone carries a mobile device. It’s a party game that any number of player can join in on to create their own unique board. It’s inspired by Air Hockey but builds on the concept with dynamic tables, multiple pucks and a Rock, Paper, Scissor dynamic.

The game is easy to learn at a glance and facilitates casual, but fast and fun, play. Players may drift in and out at leisure, as rounds are lightning-fast and easily restartable. To play, the player loads the app on his phone and selects the game table from the list available through wifi or bluetooth. The player then picks his location from a list of possible locations and his phone or tablet extends the air hockey table.

20140810165101-Poster4.jpg

Let the world see through your eyes.
By Sarah D

My Eyes is an easy to use world builder, a simple tool for you to create complex interactive stories and 2D gaming experiences entirely on the iPad (also PC supported). Choose from pre-created characters, assets and mechanics or create your own. Upload your finished stories and games to share them with friends and play through other users stories, beat their challenges and find new assets to create the world that you visualize with My Eyes.

My Eyes gives you tools to create characters with unique personalities and anxieties, or you can populate the world by choosing from a list of diverse characters that can be uploaded quickly and easy! It all starts by creating a character, the person whose eyes your player will see the world through. Add and alter the shape, size and function of props to develop your scene, creating platforms and challenges. Choose from lists of props that help you tell your story or import your own creations. Now that you have characters and a scene, add interaction commands and dialogue prompts to bring your world to life.

20140810165108-Poster5.jpg

The light is not afraid of the dark
By Lucy L

Lux is a puzzle platformer set in a beautiful and detailed world. The player takes on the role of Alabaster, a curious and determined character who uses light, reflections and refractions to explore the cities of the underworld. Alabaster must solve complex puzzles by controlling and combining light rays to charge, destroy and heat various interactable objects.

Each light ray will interact differently with each of the three interactable materials. Light can be reflected from materials of Metallic Lustre. Light can be both reflected and refracted from materials of Adamantine Lustre. Light can be scattered and multiplied from materials of Pearly Lustre.

The player must solve puzzles by to manipulating, moving, and interacting with light, while combining light channels to generate the colours required for the specific instances. Combining this ability with platforming elements, the player must unravel complex placement puzzles.

Who is involved?

Lola Barreto - Director
Lola.jpg

Lola is a director and designer who specializes in transmedia content by creating meaningful visual experiences for digital and physical environments. Her wide experience over the past twelve years spans many disciplines, including immersive technologies, mapping projection, film, web and print. She works closely with artists, giving creative direction for concept art, visual design, vfx, animation, interaction design, video gaming, identity and motion graphics. Her playful ability for telling stories leads her to approach projects with an emphasis on delightful solutions that inspire, entertain and seduce audiences. Her unbounded ability to support, direct and communicate allows her to excel in leading artistic teams in collective projects.

Giovanna Barreto - Producer

20140810165351-IMG_Jou_B-N.jpg

A graphic designer and producer for mass communication art, such as television, film, print, and web technologies. Over the last ten years she has worked for the Colombian creative industries participating in innumerable design projects, especially for pitching video games, animated television spots, film titling, branding, identity, illustration, typography and more. Giovanna’s painstaking ability to design and to oversee processes has led her coordinate creative teams by managing and organizing complex workflow schemes. She has also worked for awarded projects and for well known clients such as Capital Radio, Bayer UK, Nickelodeon, Sab Miller, Revista Semana, El Tiempo among others. Giovanna is the producer head of TFYC and works for Autobótika.

Laura Benavides - Animator
20140114201636-precaria.jpg

A Graphic designer specializing in the cultural industry, Laura has worked in different projects and companies related to performative arts, music, social campaigns, education, youth festivals and interactive projects like video games. She lived in México City for a year in order to learn motion design, thanks to that experience she became an animator to improve her skills in the development of branding for, animated infographics, Identity for web series and promotional pieces. She likes challenging projects and joins Autobótika to provide her outstanding young talent to the team in authentic projects.

Samantha Walsh - Creative Consultant
20140102213249-unnamed.jpg

Samantha Walsh is a scholar and activist. She is currently a Doctoral Candidate at the University of Toronto-OISE In the department of Humanities, Social Sciences, and Social Justice Education (HSSSJE), formerly Sociology and Equity Studies. Her doctoral research is in interpretive sociology with a focus on disability and social inclusion. She holds a Master’s degree in Critical Disability Studies from York University. Samantha completed her undergraduate degree in Sociology at the University of Guelph. She is also the co-host of a blog “East meets West-Sam and Jo’s perspectives: A Canadian perspective on disability issues in Canada and around the world." http://eastmeetswexx.blogspot.ca/

Samantha was indispensable in the creation of media for TFYC Women in Technology and either directed or wrote the majority of media created for the production. She'll act as the bridge between the Video Game community and the Academic community.

Not sure why this hasn't been getting more attention in the media, but I figured it deserved a topic on its own, it's a worthy cause, and supporting it can only be positive, I think. If you want more details or pics, the link is at the top, I'd say this is worth spreading the word and getting, hopefully, more people involved in the future.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Yea, these guys got a raw deal the first time they tried. Im gonna donate. Its a good project and everything seems very organized and well thought out.

A probalby distracting brand name doesn't change the value of the content. Don't attack the messenger, if you can't criticise the message.

Kinyou

Why is it poor branding? Are they using a pejorative that I dont know of?
I think capitalist doesn't really have much of a positive ring to it nowadays. Then combined with the USSR inspired logo it doesn't really feel like someone who you'd trust your money with.

The project itself seems to be pretty worthwhile though, and looking at the people involved also gives a much more positive impression. So that's why just poor branding. If they called themselves... "united for gaming" or something like that the first impression would probably be better.

Gestault

I really like the goals behind this group. I think the structure integrates the reality that just because divergent viewpoints are important for a medium doesn't meant there's necessarily a market ready for them. Creating works to "whet the appetite" for that potential market is an important step to leading into wider changes in the industry. Developing the skill-base and social connections for under-represented groups is basically the only direct action you can take to increase their presence.

I think their logo is terrible, for a number of reasons. I legitimately think they're getting less support because of the imagery there. Aggressive-seeming semiotics mixed in with political symbolism gets messy with how people perceive it. Particularly when it clashes with the production style for their goal-messaging videos.

unbias

Removed the banner, since apparently it distracted from the healthy message of the project, to the point where people would rather talk about that.

Gestault

Removed the banner, since apparently it distracted from the healthy message of the project, to the point where people would rather talk about that.

I'd like to think the way the group presents itself outwardly matters, when marketing a project like this. I don't think I'd agree that comments on the logo stopped conversation, and your feeling the need to hide the branding is probably the best practical example of the criticism having merit.

Kinglicious

Neo Member
Looks like you need a bit of help on this. Been following the story for a bit over a week now so I'll help.

You can find a lot of opinions, Q&A, etc over here:
http://thefineyoungcapitalists.tumblr.com/

Their main site here:
http://www.thefineyoungcapitalists.com/profitBreakDown

Twitter here:
https://twitter.com/TFYCapitalists

And lastly, their media contact page here:
media@thefineyoungcapitalists.com

Personally I don't like tumblr as a medium to get info because it's a pain in the ass to find specific stuff. So, wall of text that hopefully will answer questions.

Who the hell is The Fine Young Capitalists?
For a historical context your answer is completely new group who have some familiarity of similar, but different, industries. A more detailed explanation of this:

A startup located in Canada using developers from Columbia. The startup's main connections are related to television and advertising, not gaming, so there's not much probability you've heard of anyone. The main figure is the man doxxed - Matt - who's a self proclaimed radical moderate and obviously the entire group is pretty feminist considering the goal. Strangely though, /v/ seems to love him and has listened to 3 and 4 talks (not or, multiple different lectures) on twitch regarding feminism because of his straight talk and moderate positions of things. In terms of what he could get out of it? Well... nothing really, he's bonded. Of the people involved he's unable to profit from this project, at all.

The main person in charge of development is Lola as she's in charge of Autobotika, a company that has generally done white label work (as in, corporate contract) so you won't hear much of them either. An interview with her discussing her role and a bit on TFYC can be found here:

http://cliqist.com/2014/08/26/autobotikas-lola-barreto-discusses-the-fine-young-capitalists/

What are they trying to do?
To this I'll point to the first post of topic - get women to create video games. It began with a contest of participants that eventually 5 were selected. With a 1500 word proposal the five would each compete against each other in a contest that the internet would vote for and the project would be funded via indiegogo. There's a few limits involved to stay in budget (e.g., only so many changes can be done to it once work begins) but that's the basic idea. Winning proposal gets made, woman who came up with it makes 8%, most of the profits will go to charity of backers' choosing. A much better detailed profit breakdown can be found here:
http://www.thefineyoungcapitalists.com/profitBreakDown

How did they start, and what's this about an indiegogo hack?
There's another topic up related to the indiegogo of theirs as it got hacked but it's fine now. If you search for them on GAF you'll run into the drama around Quinn/Anita/rest of the past 2 weeks' mess. There's a reason for that: The birth of this project, as well as its current situation, was formed heavily as a result of the early drama which happened. To be clear on two points here:
1) They already have reconciled with Quinn. They aren't enemies and apologies were had.
2) They would much rather focus on the positives of what the project has done than the negatives of how the project was born. As such, I'll just give a super small shorthand of their birth as it's not too relevant and not something they want to be relevant either.

Story starts with them looking for input, Quinn and Matt got to talking, and she ripped the project up in 44 tweets. A lot of the claims made was wrong in that mess and when their site had early hiccups and they went to look for more info, they couldn't get anywhere. Matt, got doxxed by an unknown friend of hers and he's now generally the spokesman. Thanks to the tweets and wrongful information, mixed with TFYC being complete unknowns in all ways to the gaming industry, any press took on her side. For timeline purposes, this happens roughly around the same time the sex scandal started so it got deleted and sidelined along the way until he got frustrated enough to vent on /pol/, got massively upvoted, and the plan to use /v/ was hatched. It worked and on Day 1 $5,000 was raised.

So what's the controversy now? And what do 4chan and /v/ have to do with this?
More than anything else, their connection with /v/ has made people hesitate since... well, 4chan supporting a feminist cause doesn't make the most sense according to most narratives. There's a few other things like the Vice article (which also can be found on GAF on a search) but generally everyone agrees that was just awful. The story around 4chan got weirder and its effects are permanent to this cause now; thanks to the amount donated, a video series could be chosen by 4chan regarding women - they picked "Women in Game Design" and three videos have been done so far. They got the $2,000 prize of making a character to be in the game and they made Vivian James, an ordinary girl who just wants to play games and hates hypocrites. While there are a few other personality traits it's all completely inoffensive and just adds depth to her and there are t-shirts being made where the proceeds will also be going to charity. The charity chosen for the indiegogo was Colon Cancer Alliance "to chemo butthurt." When the indiegogo got hacked they had raised about $13,000 and Matt's way of calming them down was delivering a four hour lecture on feminism with Q&A and it worked. So like I said, weird. As of yesterday their referral had them over $17,000. As for the idea of /v/ supporting feminism, well...

http://thefineyoungcapitalists.tumb...der-that-v-does-not-actually-support-feminism

...it's mostly just important to remember that 4chan, like reddit, is just composed of a lot of different people with a lot of different boards. Some people are good, some are bad, but end of the day results tell the story and the results have been positive and that's the narrative trying to be pushed. So if nothing else, just trying to humanize them a bit because while 4chan in news generally ain't saints, it doesn't mean that when they're for a good cause you should blackball said cause.

Been following this pretty extensively so if there's any questions or clarifications, ask away. In advance no, Matt doesn't see a problem with "capitalism" and doesn't have any negative connotation to it. If you really do have some personal issue with it, I'd recommend just asking on twitter why "capitalism." You wouldn't be the first but your specific concerns are better suited from the horse's mouth rather than a guy betting on it.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
I'm a bit confused by the name. Why capitalists? Evil adjacent?
They posted about their name and tone on their tumblr. See, the idea is that in terms of capitalism, you're supposed to use your resources to move capital. When you have a potentially valuable asset and don't use it for reasons that have nothing to do with the bottom line, you're not being a very good capitalist. A woman who has the drive and skill to be a great doctor being forced to be a housewife through social expectations is a loss for medicine. Similarly, women being without agency for cultural reasons is a problem for gaming, so that's what TFYC is trying to do, bring forth women who would normally not design games to show that it can be profitable.

I also heard through their twitter that they had a profile but got banned from gaf. Anyone have any info on that? Trying to follow the tangentially related Quinn mess is something I'd rather not do around these parts.

My Eyes sounds intriguing
I voted for that one too. There's something about giving agency to a woman to design a game based around giving the people who buy agency to create their own games that tickles the crap out of me.

I'll wait a bit until some of the dust has settled around this before I throw any money their way, but for the time being Afterlife Empire and Lux seem like the two games I'd be the most interested in.

At face value, I like the logo. I suppose I would have to investigate what the goal was with it to make a real value judgement.

I like the cause though and sympathize with the shitty deal they got from Quinn and the media, even before the whole #GG fiasco. Really glad to see that this was funded but I might throw a couple dollars that direction as well.

Top Bottom