• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

U.S. opposes UN resolution against death penalty for same-sex relations

kmfdmpig

I really don't understand what people think of Japan..... I don't get it. What about Japan makes anyone think they would approve this measure?

I mean the topic frames the issue in a very specific way about same-sex issues rather than the death penalty more broadly. For those that read the thread and see that it's more about the death penalty as a whole then Japan's vote makes more sense given that they have the death penalty still.

Again, I think you guys are being misled by the thread title -- the resolution does not condemn the death penalty only for cases of same-sex relations, but more broadly (and uses those cases as examples).

etc.

Of course countries with capital punishment are going to vote against such language.

Yup, things aren't always as black and white as it seems.

At least Nigeria didn't oppose it though that's not a high bar

Why would America oppose it

Nigeria probably abstained because they care more about their international image than LBGT people's rights.

As far as I know, they allow this practice in the northern states. So I see this as the Nigerian government keeping quiet in public because they know what goes on at home would not be accepted internationally.

Oberon

Banned
I really don't understand what people think of Japan..... I don't get it. What about Japan makes anyone think they would approve this measure?

People usually judge a country by its "image". And when most people think of japan they think of anime and video games and other cultural exports

is there someone actually making these decisions in our government right now? like is there one person going "ok, the UN is voting on death penalty against same sex relationship people. me, as the head of so and so department, will issue an order to vote against this." I want to know who the hell it is that can sink to such a level.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
I mean the topic frames the issue in a very specific way about same-sex issues rather than the death penalty more broadly. For those that read the thread and see that it's more about the death penalty as a whole then Japan's vote makes more sense given that they have the death penalty still.

I realise that but where are people getting their ideas of LGBT in Japan..... I've clearly missed something here

Edit: I mean is anime supposed to have a positive LGBT image? Like, they made Yuri on Ice and everything else just went away?
Yuri on Ice was pretty good though

Threads about legislation and resolutions that do not actually contain the resolution or a link to the resolution really drive me nuts and really make me curious of the op’s motives. can we not raise the level of conversation by looking at the actual documents being discussed?

Here:

http://ilga.org/downloads/HRC36_resolution_question_death_penalty.pdf

How can you expect to have a meaningful discussion about something like this if you don’t even post the real words used in the controversy?

If you actually read that resolution, you will see a wealth of reasons why this republican government would not be a signatory to this, the same-sex relation aspect is a minor point in the laundry list of bullet points. I mean, I’m sure the repubs don’t care one bit about the protections for same sex relations in other countries, but you’re fooling yourselves if you think that was the basis of their no vote here. Collateral damage unfortunately to the desire to be able to execute without access to better representation or execution of low functioners or transparency of the process.

Countries voted against it because the resolution was seen as part of a slow march to denounce the death penalty more broadly. China, India, Japan, and the U.S. have capital punishment and presumably didn't want to "undermine" their own legal systems.

Hu, I was aware of China, Japan and the US, but I never knew that India had capital punishment.

Threads about legislation and resolutions that do not actually contain the resolution or a link to the resolution really drive me nuts and really make me curious of the op’s motives. can we not raise the level of conversation by looking at the actual documents being discussed?

Here:

http://ilga.org/downloads/HRC36_resolution_question_death_penalty.pdf

How can you expect to have a meaningful discussion about something like this if you don’t even post the real words used in the controversy?

If you actually read that resolution, you will see a wealth of reasons why this republican government would not be a signatory to this, the same-sex relation aspect is a minor point in the laundry list of bullet points. I mean, I’m sure the repubs don’t care one bit about the protections for same sex relations in other countries, but you’re fooling yourselves if you think that was the basis of their no vote here. Collateral damage unfortunately to the desire to be able to execute without access to better representation or execution of low functioners or transparency of the process.

Yeah. No shit a republican admin wouldn’t support this:
Condemning in particular the use of death penalty against persons with mental or intellectual disabilities, persons below 18 years of age at the time of the commission of the crime, and pregnant women

It’s a good resolution, but it’s basically anti-death penalty so of course, they won’t have it.

Irminsul

Yup, pretty much.

I hate how recently, in far too many cases whenever a news story thread is made, one of the first things to think about is "Well, it probably didn't happen the way the thread title describes it, I wonder what really happened". It's not quite fake news yet, but far too close.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Yup, pretty much.

I hate how recently, in far too many cases whenever a news story thread is made, one of the first things to think about is "Well, it probably didn't happen the way the thread title describes it, I wonder what really happened". It's not quite fake news yet, but far too close.

To be fair the title is not inaccurate. It is literally true. However the OP would be better off providing context on the matter, most importantly the general split between states who continue to use capital punishment and those to don't to help readers understand the issue better

Irminsul

To be fair the title is not inaccurate. It is literally true. However the OP would be better off providing context on the matter, most importantly the general split between states who continue to use capital punishment and those to don't to help readers understand the issue better
I respectfully disagree. It's not a "resolution against death penalty for same-sex relations", it's even called a resolution on "The question of the death penalty". Just reading that title I know why the US voted against it, which isn't the case at all when reading the thread title. Sure, capital punishment for same-sex relations is called out specifically, but that's just one of many cases the resolution deems the death penalty especially cruel.

The resolution even specifically calls upon countries to abolish capital punishment. So of course the US is going to vote against it.

roytheone

I am getting a bit tired of saying "fuck America" so much but in this case :

Fuck America.

I wonder if certain people here that always get very upset when I post that will show up again to insult me.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
I respectfully disagree. It's not a "resolution against death penalty for same-sex relations", it's even called a resolution on "The question of the death penalty". Just reading that title I know why the US voted against it, which isn't the case at all when reading the thread title. Sure, capital punishment for same-sex relations is called out specifically, but that's just one of many cases the resolution deems the death penalty especially cruel.

The resolution even specifically calls upon countries to abolish capital punishment. So of course the US is going to vote against it.

The article isn't about the entire resolution though, there were many different votes on specific questions and the article isn't about the entire resolution. The article is specifically about the LGBT portion (unsurprising given the source).

Now of course greater context helps people understand the issue but the title and article are correct, just focused very narrowly on one section of the issue

Edit: Anyway we don't really disagree, a better title and article would help people understand the issue more clearly

Kthulhu

I am getting a bit tired of saying "fuck America" so much but in this case :

Fuck America.

I wonder if certain people here that always get very upset when I post that will show up again to insult me.

I'm upset about it, but not for the reason you think.

It's a shame I live in a world where someone can say that and it be a completely justified stance to take.

Considering the op merely copy pasted the entire article without any additional comments and hasn’t returned to the thread, perhaps they are just a news bot to which we need not seek or expect actual depth of discourse from. Maybe I was too hasty in critiquing the program.

This 100 percent. The framing of the OP and the linked article is absolutely lopsided to generate more controversy because nobody can be bothered to actually read what they're posting about.

Laiza

I'm upset about it, but not for the reason you think.

It's a shame I live in a world where someone can say that and it be a completely justified stance to take.
Pretty much where I sit on that.

Fuck America. I live here and I really have to actively wonder how much better my life would be if I lived in some European country instead. I can't even have any faith that things will get any better, either, with how often the youth is getting brainwashed into believing "both sides" bullshit.

I want out.

Pretty much where I sit on that.

Fuck America. I live here and I really have to actively wonder how much better my life would be if I lived in some European country instead. I can't even have any faith that things will get any better, either, with how often the youth is getting brainwashed into believing "both sides" bullshit.

I want out.

I want us to be what we know we ought to be, not what's going to get us a nicer TV or a bigger shopping mall, or cater to "god", or any of the other things that are flushing American idealism, ingenuity, equality (needed lots of work before, no question) isn't lost.

I think it's forgotten.

The US never accepts UN stuff. Rights of a child, the ICC, etc.

This shit happens regardless of trump.

It also pisses me off since ill be studying international law

Top Bottom