• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt Renewed for Third Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malyse

No, the second season hasn't premiered yet.

Netflix kicked off its Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt panel at the Television Critics Association's winter press tour on Sunday with big news: The Tina Fey-produced comedy has been renewed for a third season.

The renewal comes ahead of the Ellie Kemper starrer's second season, which will kick off in April. Executive produced by Fey and Robert Carlock, the cult comedy was originally developed for NBC and moved to Netflix for a two-season pickup after the network passed on it.

For Netflix, the news comes as the streaming giant also told reporters Sunday that it plans to invest $600 billion in content this year.

Kimmy Schmidt, which has been an awards-season darling for stars Kemper and breakout Tituss Burgess, is part of a Netflix comedy roster that also includes The Ranch, Fuller House, Grace and Frankie, Love, Flaked and W/Bob & David as well as Master of None, the latter of which is also produced by Universal Television.

The Kimmy Schmidt renewal marked the second of the day for the streamer, joining Marvel drama Jessica Jones, which was picked up for a sophomore season.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/unbreakable-kimmy-schmidt-renewed-third-856473

And now, to ruin your day
by which I mean improve by getting this song stuck in your head.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
told reporters Sunday that it plans to invest $600 billion in content this year.

giphy.gif

Aiii

So not worth it
I enjoy companies that don't sit on their money and actually just spend their income on making more content. Give us more content Netflix, go on.

Also, more Kimmy Schmidt! Fuck yeah!

EthanC

Banned
I liked season one despite it going completely off the rails in the last few episodes. They need to kill off Kane and add another major player who is both funny and interesting (ala Alec Baldwin's character on 30 Rock). This show is good, but it could be great.

Cyph3rZA

This is brilliant news. Thanks OP for letting us know and well done Netflix for believing in the show further than the 2 season deal.

magnetic

I didn't enjoy it at all until the third episode, then something clicked and I started absolutely loving it. Bring it on!

Amir0x

Banned
I thought the first season was serviceable with some signs that it has real potential, so I think I'll see if the second season gets better ala 30 Rock. If the second season is really good, I'll stick around for the third. :D

They're going to need to fix the horrible father character though and elevate itself above endless gags about Kimmy learning-something-about-the-modern-world. It's probably worse in my mind than it is in reality, but man that felt like most of the best jokes. But it got old after a while.

Best joke to me was still Kimmy's 2090 dig to Xan.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Ah, great news. I love everything about the first season, even the wacky courtroom trial. It did no wrong in my mind, and is the best Netflix original show.

Good to hear, although I wonder how long they can continue to pull off the culturally-stuck-in-the-90's shtick once Kimmy has been out of the bunker for two or three years.

The renewal comes ahead of the Ellie Kemper starrer's second season, which will kick off in April.

'Starrer' is a word now?

Can't wait!

But I agree they need to fix her dad, preferably just get rid of the character and only have her sister as the lone family interaction till mom shows up. Oh, and never go back to durnesville that place is ridiculously stupid.

rezuth

Can't wait!

But I agree they need to fix her dad, preferably just get rid of the character and only have her sister as the lone family interaction till mom shows up. Oh, and never go back to durnesville that place is ridiculously stupid.

"Ellie Kemper, Tituss Burgess, Carol Kane and Jane Krakowski are all due to return one particularly exemplary co-star won’t be involved: Tim Blake Nelson, who played Randy, the fabulously incompetent step-father to Kimmy Schmidt who was just inept as a state trooper too."

So good news for you!

VanWinkle

I really liked season one. I don't like it NEARLY as much as 30 Rock (even its first season), but I still enjoy it a lot for what it is.

I hope they keep the same age rating instead of going more "mature" to fit in with more of the Netflix original shows.

EthanC

Banned
"Ellie Kemper, Tituss Burgess, Carol Kane and Jane Krakowski are all due to return one particularly exemplary co-star won’t be involved: Tim Blake Nelson, who played Randy, the fabulously incompetent step-father to Kimmy Schmidt who was just inept as a state trooper too."

So good news for you!

Bad news for me. Kane is beyond awful.

I really liked season one. I don't like it NEARLY as much as 30 Rock (even its first season), but I still enjoy it a lot for what it is.

I hope they keep the same age rating instead of going more "mature" to fit in with more of the Netflix original shows.

Well yeah. 30 Rock is A-tier. Kimmy is decidedly C-tier stuff. It's enjoyable, but I can see why NBC didn't want it. It would have died a quick death there.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
Awesome.

So good news for you!

Thank god. He was awful.

Clevinger

So good news for you!

praise jesus

Now if only Tina Fey could play a not-terrible character and this show would be perfect

So good news for you!

AYYYYYY YES

magnetic

Just wanted to mention how adorable Carol Kane still is. Recently watched Scrooged for the first time and was delighted when I saw her appearing in it.

And Jane Krakowski is as awesome as she was in 30 Rock. Obviously her role is very similar to Jenna, but she just nails that character.

Really, everyone is great in that show.
The Tina Fey cameo was such a great moment as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom