• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UNC Sanctions Released Today by NCAA: (Syke! No Sanctions!)

“ESPN” said:
North Carolina avoided major sanctions after the NCAA could not conclude the school violated academic rules when it made available deficient Department of African and Afro-American Studies "paper courses" to the general student body, including student-athletes.

Link: http://www.espn.com/college-sports/...ls-avoid-major-sanctions-academics-fraud-case

This is probably the most egregious non-penalty imposed by the NCAA to date. I really don’t see why any school that participates in college athletics doesn’t cheat. The rewards far outweigh the penalties.

Edit: For those wondering what UNC did - they created a bunch of no-show classes for athletes to attend over the course of many years.

Ogodei

Amateurism is a farce designed to exploit the athletes at this point, that much is clear. They don't care about them getting an education, they just don't want them to get paid or have any choice about where they go once they enter the farm.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
20171013_1112107gs86.png

Yeah I saw it. Fixed it. Though, it’s an appropriate goof up given what UNC was doing. I should have let it stand & stated it was intentional.

Also fixed the link as well. I wasn’t sure who was doing the thread so I just grabbed the first link I found & put up the thread.

Luke DeCock‏ @LukeDeCock 1 hour ago
This has been the issue all along: If UNC wouldn't determine it was academic fraud, the NCAA wouldn't do it on its own.

DMBfyetW0AMK9us.jpg:large

Replying to @LukeDeCock
Why? Because university presidents don't want the NCAA mucking about in what they like to call "curriculum." And presidents run the NCAA.

TraBuch

Banned
It's too bad the football team gave themselves a bowl ban and the women's basketball team fired their coach and was thrown under the bus by the school when nobody did anything wrong.

Slayven

NCAA is toothless until a kid wants to have a youtube channel, then they are more powerful than God and Odin combined

This has been the issue all along: If UNC wouldn't determine it was academic fraud, the NCAA wouldn't do it on its own.

DMBfyetW0AMK9us.jpg:large

Replying to @LukeDeCock
Why? Because university presidents don't want the NCAA mucking about in what they like to call "curriculum." And presidents run the NCAA.

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAJ8AAAAJGQxZDA3Y2QyLWNiZjAtNDdkOS1hYmIzLWUyMDA3YzdlMDY0Nw.png

Jeff-DSA

Embarrassing. We have to drop the pretense that college sports has anything at all to do with education. To claim such is disgustingly disingenuous.

Stoop Man

I like how all these paper courses are always things like African American studies, or Swahili or something . Some of these black players have feel at least a little insulted, right?

ryseing

Of course. State would've gotten the death penalty.

We joke about this shit, and yet IT ACTUALLY FUCKING HAPPENED

On a similar note, UNC-CH asked the NCAA to push this back a week since they were starting their big fundraising campaign last Friday. Imagine if State made that request. They'd be laughed out of the room.

NCAA isn't biased. Nope.

Top Bottom